slowlyman

Making life in America livable

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have a Thai friend here in a Dallas suburb. She basically tore up the entire backyard and turned it into a farm. It's pretty funny. She even has chickens back there.

We had to take out a couple of Sego palms and she used most of the available space too. We have some big queen palms in the back as well. She doesn't understand why I would plant such trees that don't give us cocos. She thinks it's odd to plant tress that don't bear fruit. The chickens also came up but I told her in our city we can't have them so she seemed ok with that (oh my neighbors would just love me if we had chickens!) When her Thai friends come over that's the first thing they want to see, after seeing what we are serving!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've considered buying house just for that reason. We live in an apartment now and she's always trying to grow stuff on the patio with mixed results. I don't really want invest in a house at this point because I want to go back to Thailand permanently in ~5 years. I just tell her to stick it out for now.

I don't know if you've considered how low the interest rates are but right now you can start building equity in about 3 years with a 15 year mortgage. Plus, the 15 year mortgage payments workout to be very close to the same payments as the 30 year mortgage payments.

You could also section 8 your home when you were ready to go to Thailand and let the county handle keeping it occupied. That would cover your payments and bring in a little cash too. Unless something changes, we'll section 8 ours when we move back and use the monthly check as an income supplement.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

I don't know if you've considered how low the interest rates are but right now you can start building equity in about 3 years with a 15 year mortgage. Plus, the 15 year mortgage payments workout to be very close to the same payments as the 30 year mortgage payments.

You could also section 8 your home when you were ready to go to Thailand and let the county handle keeping it occupied. That would cover your payments and bring in a little cash too. Unless something changes, we'll section 8 ours when we move back and use the monthly check as an income supplement.

How do you do the section 8 thing? I live in Texas. Not sure if they have that here?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

We're just going to hire a management company to rent the house and look after it. Depending the level of service they charge 3-10% of the monthly rent. I still have a few years on the mortgage and ton of equity so the rent wil cover the monthly mortgage and give us about 45K baht a month to live on which should help.

Timeline

How do you do the section 8 thing? I live in Texas. Not sure if they have that here?

I'm in Arlington and they have it in Texas... The counties each have an office that manages section 8. Basically, they'll inspect your home and if it qualifies, they'll keep it occupied and pay you. They also attend to the general upkeep.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

I'm in Arlington and they have it in Texas... The counties each have an office that manages section 8. Basically, they'll inspect your home and if it qualifies, they'll keep it occupied and pay you. They also attend to the general upkeep.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'm in Carrollton by the way. I've been to that Thai temple in Arlington before. My wife's boss had some thing going on there.

We live in a townhouse and last year Pui had stuff growing in pots and pretty much everything was growing and it looked like a jungle. Last year when she went to the asian grocery store she bought mint and grad pao(sp?) basil leaves that still had a little root left in them and she put that in a pot and it started to grow and I never thought the mint and grad pao basil would grow but they did. This year she has some stuff but does not want as much as she had last year. I still need to buy the kaffir lime tree.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

One more thing. Not sure what state you are in, but I have all the written driving test questions and answers for Texas in English and Thai. I also have the 100 citizenship questions in English and Thai, but you're a ways off from dealing with that.

Do you have the Texas written driving questions and answers in English/Thai as an electronic file that I could get from you?

Thanks,

morMoreBah

Timeline

Do you have the Texas written driving questions and answers in English/Thai as an electronic file that I could get from you?

Thanks,

morMoreBah

Sent you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm running XP, Win 7, Win 8

As far as I know there is no Temple within practical driving distance.

We have three asian groceries.

The area has a population of Philippians, and muang. No other Thai's I have been able to locate.

I have been using MuangThai phone card. They have the best rates I could find.

I recommend Skype, as Andy mentioned. for 13.99 you get unlimitted calling to Thailand cells or land lines.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'm in Carrollton by the way. I've been to that Thai temple in Arlington before. My wife's boss had some thing going on there.

Is nice smaller thai temple in Irving, also. I go at least once a week, burn some joss.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Is nice smaller thai temple in Irving, also. I go at least once a week, burn some joss.

Is it Thai? Where is it? I've never heard of that one.

Timeline

I found it on Google. Weird I've never heard about it before, and we used to live in Irving.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, it's about a 2 km bike ride from my organic micro-farm.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.