thinicer

K1 Visa and Security Clearance

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

My fiance and I just recently got our NOA2, and we are both very excited about it. It should be on its way to the NVC and we expect it will be heading to the American embassy in Bulgaria very soon.

At the same time our application for the K1 Visa is being processed, I have separately, for myself, been filling out an SF-86 application for security clearance. In addition to many other details, I also have to list any foreign contacts that I've had regular contact with, and my fiance is, of course, one of those and is a very important one. No doubt, they will want to do some kind of check on her and her family members, but I doubt it will be too extensive.

My question is this: Are there any possible caveats that could result from both these processes happening in tandem? Could the K1 Visa be rejected based on any other investigation another department of the US government is making into my fiance because of my security clearance application? Could my fiance be denied entry into the US even after the K1 Visa is issued?

We both have nothing at all to hide, but we are talking about the massive bureaucracy that is the US Government and we are both worried they could reject her just on some stupid technicality like this.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The K1 won't be denied because of your security clearance, or lack thereof.

However, depending on what the clearance is for, and your foreign fiance's background (communist part etc), you may get rejected for security clearance and thus a job that depends on it. You may want to check out our Military forum, security clearances have been discussed there several times in the past: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/152-military-immigration-related-discussion/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.