9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone
I have applied for my wife's petition last year in October. Question on the 2012 tax return, my accountant advised me to not file the return until she immigrate to US so that we can file jointly and applied for extension. Now i am hearing from some people that embassy's do ask for the recent return. So please advise me should i file and if i file file it as single or married filing separately since she is not here and has no Social security number. Will the embassy question her why i filed separately. Please share your experience
THank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

its better to file and submit the latest tax return forms than have your case denied because you are lacking certain evidence.

I prefer to have excessive proof or documentation than less.

My fiance' is going for her interview next month and part of the packet 3 requirements are last year's tax returns, but i will get them last 4 years tax returns just to eliminate any further queries.

The embassy will not query because it logical that the whole of last year, you were single but married and your w2 i bet stated that you were single .. so the notion of waiting for her so as to file jointly defeats the purpose of you claiming that you were single as per your w2 last year. it gives room for the consular to wonder if you were secretly married to her and did not wanna disclose the fact on your filing of the visa

Edited by Mako & Leakey

If you applied for an extension then you could not provide your 2012 tax return form 1040 obviously, just supply the w2 for 2012 and supply 2011,2010 tax transcripts along with their w2's to be on the safe side and mention the 2012 extension. I take it your asking about the affadavit of support (AOS) I-864? I also provided proof of employment from my employer. You may need more proof depending on your yearly income and number of people you are supporting. Its all mentioned on this website.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So Mako and Leakey. What should I file married filing separately or single

Married filing separately. Your wife can be listed as an NRA (Non Resident Alien) on your return. That's what my husband and I did for 2011 and 2012.

Our Visa Timeline
USCIS
11/23/12: Package Mailed to Chicago Lockbox from Ireland
11/28/12: Arrived at Lockbox, Signed for by JOHN
11/30/12: NOA1; Transferred to NBC
12/06/12: NOA1 Hard Copy Received
12/19/12: Touched
01/16/13: NOA2 (47 days after NOA1)
01/21/13: Approved petition mailed to NVC
01/22/13: NOA2 Hard Copy Received
NVC
01/25/13: Petition arrived at NVC
02/11/13: Received Case#/IIN from NVC
02/11/13: Received DS-3032/AOS Bill Invoiced
02/11/13: AOS Bill Paid/DS-3032 Emailed
02/15/13: AOS Package sent to NVC
02/25/13: DS-3032 Accepted
02/26/13: AOS Package Accepted
02/26/13: IV Bill Invoiced
02/26/13: IV Bill Paid
02/27/13: IV Package sent to NVC
03/11/13: RFE: Irish Police Cert. (It's there, Idiot Stick just can't read Irish. "Garda" means "Police". Fool.)
03/20/13: Case Complete
04/01/13: Interview Date Assigned
Consulate
04/16/13: Medical
05/07/13: Interview...Denied 221(g). Now to find a joint sponsor. Good times.
05/22/13: Visa in Hand
07/30/13: POE Dublin

Citizenship

06/04/2023: N-400 Filed Online

06/05/2023: Receipt Sent

06/12/2023: Notice of Biometrics Appointment Received; Appointment Date 06/30/2023

x214.png

7uKb.png

My husband filed as married filing separately for us 2012, we got married last July. He said it is made quite clear that once you are married you cannot file as single.

05/11: Met online, began exchanging emails, texts, and Skype
10/01/11: First meeting
10/06/11: He proposed
07/17/12: Married in Irving
08/21/12: Mailed I-130 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
08/28/12: NOA 1, Priority Date, Routed to CSC
09/02/12: transferred to NBC
09/05/12: transferred to local office, Dallas Field Office
01/12/13: NOA 2

01.24.13: NVC Received
02.12.13: Case/IIN Received
02.12.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.19.13: Pay AOS bill
02.22.13: AOS bill shows PAID
02.25.13: AOS package sent
02.19.13: DS-3032 sent
03.01.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.01.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.08.13: IV bill invoiced
03.11.13: Pay IV bill
03.11.13: AOS package accepted
03.15.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.15.13: IV package sent
03.27.13: Case complete
04.22.13 Medical
05.14.13 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!!!!

04.15.15 I751 sent off

04.20.15 NOA

My husband filed as married filing separately for us 2012, we got married last July. He said it is made quite clear that once you are married you cannot file as single.

That's absolutely 100 percent correct. Married people must file married. So-called "tax professionals" who advise otherwise are getting a lot of people in trouble.

The only exception is where someone who is married to a NRA who has not been in the country in the tax year (the exact rules are on the IRS website). If the US resident spouse has OTHER dependents (such as a child or parent) that they claim as dependents on the tax form, they may opt to file Head of Household. However, they must still put their non-US spouse's information on the tax form as if filing married/separately.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update incase this may be helpful to some in the future, I did recieve my wifes ITIN and my 1040 refund towards the end of May, I sent the w-7 and my paper 1040 in with certified birth certificate and her original Philippines voters ID along with just a copy of her biometrics page on her passport(for good measure), we didnt want to send in her passport in fear of them losing it or her needing it before we got it back, so those two documents worked for us anyway and was two of the documents that were listed on the required forms for ID in the w-7 instructions. Hope this can help.

Thanks,

Edited by Hilario

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.