Sealy

Starting K1 process?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello all,

I am Pieter and I am a Dutch citizen. I met my fiancee online and she is from the US. We met in 2011 and I quickly went to visit her. Then I came back to the Netherlands and skype calls etc. happened. She moved to the Netherlands and has been here ever since. The original plan was to apply for a K1 visa in 2011 but consideirng I had a job and my own place we decided it would be better at that moment to start in the Netherlands. The idea was to spend at least 2 years here since she would be studying via online classes.

Now however we have decided we want to be in the US with her family. I love it there, the open space, the open people, it's amazing. I cannot find that in the Netherlands since it is so cramped up here.

Anyway,

To the point. We both live now in the Netherlands, but want to move to the US. We are engaged so I figured the K1 visa is our best bet? Am I right in that thought or not? Does it matter where the US citizen lives at the moment? Does she have to move back to the US and file the the I-129 or can we do that from overseas?

You guys are awesome btw, I've learned so much from this website and without it I would have been lost. It's great to see all the stories and read about whats good or not.

Do you guys have any tips? Any help would be appreciated.

Going to check http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide for now but let me know if you have any tips/tricks.

Best regards,

Pieter & Kirsten

Is getting married in the US important to you? Because a spousal visa is more elegant and cheaper and the immigrant can work right away, whereas with the K-1 visa the immigrant can't work for at least 3 months. You could get married now (anywhere in the world) and then chase a spousal visa. Something to consider.

It's fine that the USC lives abroad, but she will need a co-sponsor based in the US and might have to show her concrete plans to move back to the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Is getting married in the US important to you? Because a spousal visa is more elegant and cheaper and the immigrant can work right away, whereas with the K-1 visa the immigrant can't work for at least 3 months. You could get married now (anywhere in the world) and then chase a spousal visa. Something to consider.

It's fine that the USC lives abroad, but she will need a co-sponsor based in the US and might have to show her concrete plans to move back to the US.

This good advise from Harpa,good.gifgood.gifgood.gif if you have any question feel free to ask or e-mail me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well said!! if you both are willing to get married there and wait a little longer there the CR-1 visa would be the best bet.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2013-01-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-01-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-06-10

NVC Received : 2013-06-25

NVC Left : 2013-06-25

Packet 4 Received : 2013-07-09

Interview Date : 2013-07-18

Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2013-07-25

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Salt Lake City UT

Date Filed : 2014-07-15

NOA Date : 2014-07-17

Maresa & Conor

Timeline

Hello Harpa,

To me it is not realy important where we marry. But I believe that my fiancee wants to get married in the US. Another reason for it would also be the preparation of it. I also do not have the need to work straight away when entering the US. Living area is already settled and it would not cost a thing till we find our own place. In the mean time that I wouldn't be working I could work on my skills in designing.

Ok regarding the sponsor, we already have her parents sponsering her so that won't be a problem.

I just need to figure out how we are going to do the check thing since we are both living in the Netherlands right now.

I think the K1 visa would be the fastest way right now right?

Timeline

This good advise from Harpa,good.gifgood.gifgood.gif if you have any question feel free to ask or e-mail me.

Hello Daniel,

I see in your signature that your K1 started in feb-2011 and finnished in aug-2011, only 5 months?

Realy, did you do anything particular or was this just a matter of luck?

Anything to speed up the process :).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.