jenyadenise

Immigrant spouse traveling to the US before moving the USC Spouse

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'd appreciate any feedback on this potential situation. I am the USC and my husband's CR-1 visa was just approved. We are both living in Mexico and are planning to move to the States within the next couple months. I'm wondering... if he has a job interview in the US before we move together, can he travel in and out of the US while I'm still here in Mexico (before we make our permanent move)? Will he have a problem at the POE? I will certainly travel with him if necessary but we're just wondering if it's necessary. Anyone have any insight about this? Thanks!!

August 2008 - met when we were both living in England

February 2009 - began dating

May 28, 2011 - got engaged

August 5, 2011 - got married (in England)

September 29, 2011 - moved to Mexico

VISA PROCESS:

December 3, 2012 - sent I-130 to Mexico City (DCF)

December 6, 2012 - I-130 approved

December 14, 2012 - NVC case number assigned and instruction letter sent from Juarez Consulate but we NEVER received it

March 4, 2013 - called to check about our case and received our NVC case number and Invoice number

March 9, 2013 - submitted DS-260 online

April 17, 2013 - interview date - visa approved!!!

July 11, 2013 - POE: entered US through Dallas, TX

July 22, 2013 - Social Security Card delivered

August 22, 2013 - Green Card delivered

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, I'd appreciate any feedback on this potential situation. I am the USC and my husband's CR-1 visa was just approved. We are both living in Mexico and are planning to move to the States within the next couple months. I'm wondering... if he has a job interview in the US before we move together, can he travel in and out of the US while I'm still here in Mexico (before we make our permanent move)? Will he have a problem at the POE? I will certainly travel with him if necessary but we're just wondering if it's necessary. Anyone have any insight about this? Thanks!!

Your husband shouldn't have any issues traveling in and out of the US while looking for work even if you yourself are still in Mexico. Just so long as your husband doesn't remain outside the US for two long a period between visits.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello there jennyadenise,

Hope you are doing well. I am going through exactly the same situation as you and was wondering if you could tell me how it all went down for you. Was he able to enter the US before you for his interview?

Thanks

Hello there jennyadenise,

Hope you are doing well. I am going through exactly the same situation as you and was wondering if you could tell me how it all went down for you. Was he able to enter the US before you for his interview?

Thanks

Hi laucs72!!

Sorry for my delayed reply! From the research we did two years ago, we concluded that I was supposed to be either in the US before him or traveling together with him when he entered the US for the first time. So, we entered the US together for his job interview and then went together back to Mexico. We stayed in Mexico for close to 2 months before making the permanent move to the US. It turned out to be helpful for me to travel with him because while he was interviewing, I was checking out the área and looking at possible living accomodations. And, by the time we arrived the second time, his SS Card and Green Card had already been processed.

I hope this helps!

August 2008 - met when we were both living in England

February 2009 - began dating

May 28, 2011 - got engaged

August 5, 2011 - got married (in England)

September 29, 2011 - moved to Mexico

VISA PROCESS:

December 3, 2012 - sent I-130 to Mexico City (DCF)

December 6, 2012 - I-130 approved

December 14, 2012 - NVC case number assigned and instruction letter sent from Juarez Consulate but we NEVER received it

March 4, 2013 - called to check about our case and received our NVC case number and Invoice number

March 9, 2013 - submitted DS-260 online

April 17, 2013 - interview date - visa approved!!!

July 11, 2013 - POE: entered US through Dallas, TX

July 22, 2013 - Social Security Card delivered

August 22, 2013 - Green Card delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.