MattNessa14

I-485 Paperwork, Only Fees Returned with I-797C

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since I don't have the luxury of time to sift through all the forums about AOS problems and shortcomings, I am creating my own feed. Hopefully someone can help.

I originally sent my wife's AOS paperwork, joint sponsor paperwork and fees to the Chicago Lockbox March 15, 2013, overnight. The fees were $1070, two money orders for $1000 and $70. It was received on the 18th. A few weeks later, USCIS sends an I-797C with all the paperwork and fees, minus the I-485 form. According to the letter:

"This is reference to the I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, you submitted. Your I-765, fees and any supporting documentation is being returned to you for the following reason(s):

The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. Please review the Form Instructions for fee information. Please resubmit the application/petition package with the appropriate fees to the address listed on the bottom of this page."

I removed the I-765 from the packet and resubmitted the application, fees and supporting documents. It was sent out April 1, 2013, received April 2, 2013, Chicago Lockbox.

Here is where it gets weird.

A few weeks later, USCIS sends another rejection letter, but this time it is addressed to me, the petitioner. The first letter was addressed to my wife, the applicant. The envelope only contained the I-797C, my fees, the green piece of paper, and a copy of the FedEx label. The Chicago Lockbox kept all the rest of the paperwork. In the letter it stated "Your check is being returned to you with this notice. No additional action by you is required at this time." I have contacted the NCSC numerous times, elevating the call to an Immigration Officer but there is no association of a case tied of my wife's name except for the original rejection letter. I also sent an email to lockboxsupport@dhs.gov , but found out later that Lockbox support doesn't do emails any more.

What the hell do I do now? Do I wait? Do I re-file the paperwork? If it was a rejection notice, why wasn't the paperwork included?

Any insight and info would be great. Thank you.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You only send one check for $1070.00. That is why you are being rejected. You will have to re-file everything and resend the correct amount.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

"The filing fee for Form I-485 is $985. An additional biometrics fee of $85 is required when filing your Form I-485.

You may submit one check or money order for both the application and biometrics fees."

This was taken from page 8 of Instructions for I-485.

As the Pinkrlion mentioned, you will need to re-submit your application.

Hope this helps.

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

good.gif

"The filing fee for Form I-485 is $985. An additional biometrics fee of $85 is required when filing your Form I-485.

You may submit one check or money order for both the application and biometrics fees."

This was taken from page 8 of Instructions for I-485.

As the Pinkrlion mentioned, you will need to re-submit your application.

Hope this helps.

}Our Journey{

--October 22, 2010 * Started talking online "As friends"

--November 20,2010 * Became a couple (Started Dating)

--December 18,2011 * Met in person for first time @ Davao Int. Airport

--January 3,2012 * Returned to the US (saddest day of our lives)

--May 19,2012 * I-129F finally sent YAY!

--May 21,2012 * Packet 1 was received at Dallas Lockbox Facility

--May 23,2012 * First Notice Of Action (NOA1)

--May 24,2012 * $340.00 Check is Cashed By Department of Homeland Services

--May 29,2012 * Form I-797C NOA1 Received From USCIS California Service Center

--August 16,2012 * APPROVED I-129F!!! WOO! :) :) :)

--August 20,2012 * Second Notice Of Action Rcvd (NOA2 Hardcopy)

}*{Patience brings things worth waiting for}*{

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-765 and I-131 fees are waived when filed with a pending I-485. Be sure to use category (c )(9 ) on the I-765 and if sending separately after the I-485, then be sure to include a copy of the NOA receipt notice from filing the I-485.

I am not sure why they kept some of the paperwork and gave you the NOA receipt notice if you never paid anything. Perhaps you should make an Infopass appointment and explain what happened and see if they want you to just simply re-file all the forms and documents with a single check or money order for $1070.

You could just refile without contacting them, but they sent you an I-797C so you may want to make the infopass to get it sorted out in case they have already started your AOS file and assigned you a case number. Get the mix-up all sorted out.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.