Pitaya

Customer Identity Verification (CIV) infringe on US Citizens rights?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Will US citizens be required to get their "biometrics captured" prior to admission to a USCIS field office for interviews/appointments, such as, InfoPass, AOS interviews, ROC interviews?

Does the new Customer Identity Verification (CIV) program that is soon to be implemented at USCIS field offices infringe on US citizens' constitutional right against "unreasonable search and seizure?"

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=093dfa77369ed310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

From a constitutional perspective, I have issues with this soon to be implemented vaguely-worded intrusive scheme.protest6wz.gif What are other members' thoughts?

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Will US citizens be required to get their "biometrics captured" prior to admission to a USCIS field office for interviews/appointments, such as, InfoPass, AOS interviews, ROC interviews?

That is already done, according to the link you posted.

'Currently, USCIS requires applicants and petitioners requesting immigration or naturalization benefits to visit one of our Application Support Centers (ASCs) to provide biometric data. USCIS uses this data to help determine eligibility for requested benefits. This requirement, along with providing a government-issued document for examination, will not change.'

As far as this being intrusive, it really is not. It only applies to US Citizens or foreign individuals who seek immigration provileges, which means that most of us will never have to go through the process, unwillingly.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

When my wife, stepson and I went in for our AOS interview last November, I (USC) was not required to get my "biometrics captured" prior to admission to the building. Actually, USCIS has yet to "capture" my biometrics, hence my concern about this program.

Timeline

In some shape or form they already have your information from when you applied for immigration benefits either as a petitioner or beneficiary. They are changing the way to capture the information and making it more effective.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

In some shape or form they already have your information from when you applied for immigration benefits either as a petitioner or beneficiary. They are changing the way to capture the information and making it more effective.

I disagree to the fully intrusive nature of this intended program. While I have provided photographs of myself for these immigration purposes, USCIS has yet to ask from me, or me to knowingly provide my "biometrics" (read - fingerprints). I, as a USC, have serious (4th Amendment) reservations about providing my fingerprints to USCIS, having committed no crime. I feel that this is an undue invasion of a citizen's privacy. BTW, could these obtained biometrics then be subject to the "exclusionary rule?"

YMMV.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i've been into my local office about 5 times now, in the last 4 months, twice within the last 3 weeks.

I saw the signs about this on the last two visits.

I've read the 'stuff' about it from dhs and uscis also.

IMO, they are attempting to reduce fraud and actually 'find' those fraudsters and also folk with outstanding warrants.

Is it too much ? Not for me - I see it as the cost of doing business. Come on - at least we not have same security measures as Israel (for the moment) .

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I disagree to the fully intrusive nature of this intended program. While I have provided photographs of myself for these immigration purposes, USCIS has yet to ask from me, or me to knowingly provide my "biometrics" (read - fingerprints). I, as a USC, have serious (4th Amendment) reservations about providing my fingerprints to USCIS, having committed no crime. I feel that this is an undue invasion of a citizen's privacy. BTW, could these obtained biometrics then be subject to the "exclusionary rule?"

YMMV.

In that case you should not need to have your biometric information collected, unless you intend to apply for any immigration benefits or privileges in the future.

I also agree that few other processes share the same degree of invasion of privacy as the immigration processes. Fortunately immigration to the US is a privilege, and as such, voluntary.

As an afterthought, I believe the USCIS would be better off obtaining information from Facebook. Far richer and more easily obtainable.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i've been into my local office about 5 times now, in the last 4 months, twice within the last 3 weeks.

I saw the signs about this on the last two visits.

I've read the 'stuff' about it from dhs and uscis also.

IMO, they are attempting to reduce fraud and actually 'find' those fraudsters and also folk with outstanding warrants.

Is it too much ? Not for me - I see it as the cost of doing business. Come on - at least we not have same security measures as Israel (for the moment) .

But, Brother D., did they TAKE your prints? If not, would they have, if you were part of something being actively applied for?

If this is indeed what's going on, letters to our Senators & Congressmen are called for.

I still don't see what our prints could be compared against, if they're not somehow in the system already.

Regardless, I'm relieved to be finished with this infernal process, si man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

TBone, you are indeed blessed to be done with the Department of Homeland (In)Security. :thumbs: Si, man!

Hopefully by next year this dubious infringement on a US citizen's constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure will be cast aside. I say next year, because my family will be starting the ROC process next year. If this egregious activity is not curtailed by then, I intend to contact the ACLU and/or my elected representatives and seek to get them involved in this matter.

The screwy part is if something is discovered pursuant to this proposed USCIS "fishing expedition," it may subsequently be found to be inadmissible in a court of law, due to the "exclusionary rule."

YMMV.

Timeline

I do not have the warm fuzzies about any of this, BIO capturing stuff. I do not think thier security guards have the authority to make arrests and therefore any arrests would have to be done by CBP or local LE, we will see. You can be illegal basicallly get a pass go to the front of the line foe DACA, while we as USC abd our familys wait lost in USCIS time.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Of course they not take my prints - i was there before the published start date of biometrics for USCitizens.

I was actively seeking approval of an I-130 petition, so if i had come in after that published start date, you bet my biometrics would have been taken.

And yup, you betcha, I am relieved I 'got in' prior to the start date.

But, Brother D., did they TAKE your prints? If not, would they have, if you were part of something being actively applied for?

If this is indeed what's going on, letters to our Senators & Congressmen are called for.

I still don't see what our prints could be compared against, if they're not somehow in the system already.

Regardless, I'm relieved to be finished with this infernal process, si man...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

after that published start date, you bet my biometrics would have been taken.

Egad. Worst outrageous scenario realized. If anything ever happens to Mrs. T-B., I'll either be stuck marrying an Americana or (more likely) never marrying again.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

1. any arrests would have to be done by CBP or local LE

2. You can be illegal basicallly get a pass go to the front of the line foe DACA, while we as USC abd our familys wait lost in USCIS time.

1. Probably so, si man. If I understand correctly, CBP agents don't have peace-officer status in Texas, and perhaps elsewhere, too.

2. Certainly so, sigh man.

Edited by TBoneTX

Timeline

if something is discovered pursuant to this proposed USCIS "fishing expedition," it may subsequently be found to be inadmissible in a court of law, due to the "exclusionary rule."

The Fourth Amendment was on life support for years, and now it's complete toast.

One can fight inadmissibility all that one wants, bearing in mind that the Federal government has unlimited time & resources to make one's life miserable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.