TAB2TAB

Question 18 on I-129F Petition.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I are beginning the process petitioning for a K1 visa and working our way through the forms and getting together our documentation. I am not exactly certain how we should answer Question 18 on the I-129F petition and would appreciate some feedback from the forum. Question 18: "Has your fiance met and seen you within the two-year period immediately preceding filing this petition? Describe the circumstances under which you met... etc."

1) My fiance and I originally met in person in 2007, AND we have also met numerous times in the past two years. Is this question asking us to describe how we met *originally* regardless of the date, or is it asking us to describe how we "met" (i.e. visited) each other specifically in the last two years? Should we even reference our original meeting considering that it occurred outside the past two years?

2) We have met in person seven times over the past two years, and I've detailed the dates and locations for each trip. What other written detail should we include to describe the circumstances of these trips, if any? Is our sole purpose here to state our having met in person, or should we be also providing insight into the depth and strength of our relationship? (Note: we are also gathering airline boarding passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, etc. as suggested to support our statement.)

3) Should we provide evidentiary proof for each (all seven) visits during the past two years?

Thanks very much for your help!

Adrian

The proof needs to be from the visits within the past 2 years, as that is what they want - evidence of having met in person less than two years ago. But you can certainly go ahead and explain in your question 18 writeup how you originally met and have met several times since then, just to give them a contextual bigger picture.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need help with anything else as you compile your application packet, as I just went through it myself.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

They require both things. Firstly, how you first met - whether through friends, on a dating website or while travelling etc.

Then you need to give details/dates of meeting within the past two years. You can just do a summary on the form of date/location etc.

The most valuable form of proof of those meetings is passport stamps, copies of boarding passes (which proves you boarded and therefore more valid than air tickets). Also photos of you together at the location if you have them.

If you put brief notes on the form and attach photocopies of these things to your petition, you have it covered. You don't need to send originals with the petition - copies are fine. It is at interview stage that the beneficiary will need originals as much as possible just to verify what they already know. You are not dealing with a high fraud embassy so it is fairly straight forward as far as that goes.

Best of luck !

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

I've seen lots of back-and-forth on this question. Some people say they're only looking for when you physically met in the last two years, but other people have gotten actual RFE's for that question because they didn't provide any info about how they first "met" (e.g. online, while studying, whatever), even if it was long before the 2-year period. The question does state "how the relationship was established" so it's pretty clear they want the initial first encounter as well as the physical in-person recent meetings.

I strongly suggest that you provide a brief statement that covers BOTH your initial first getting-to-know each other as well as very concrete proof about your in-person meetings. Mine said something like "Originally introduced online via a music website online in 2006. First met in person in Finland in 2007. Subsequent visits in person in 2011 and 2012, please see additional packet for details and evidence of all meetings in person." Then of course I included substantial concrete evidence of our meetings (boarding passes, passport stamps, ATM withdrawals, everything!) within the last two years. I am really hoping that that covers all the bases.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

The question is really to know if you have met the requirement of meeting face to face in the last two years. BUT many write "See additional page" in the blank. Then on a separate paper, headed with names and "Additional Information: I-129F, Question 18", you can write a very brief history of how you first got together and the seven times you have been together. I know some of the interviewer's in London used to read those because they would say things like "I see you met playing WOW. Who was the best player?" or something conversational like that. It doesn't hurt to briefly introduce yourselves as a couple. Don't write a saga or get too mushy. Being in love isn't really in the requirements. Maybe 1/3 of a typed page max is my opinion. If you did t speak the same language, it would be a place to mention how you communicate, but that's not a problem for you.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

... also, you only need to have met once within the past 2 years, but it is strong support to list all meetings if you have others.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

You'll find you have plenty of time waiting on your NOA2 to give advice too <joke>.

Best of luck on the process - I did what the posters mentioned above - how we first met and then the course of the relationship over the last two years. Make sure you continue to document your continuing relationship after the USC files the petition just in case it's asked for at the consulate interview. Probably unlikely in the UK - you should still be part of the UK if you get your petition in soon :-) but I prefer the kitchen sink approach myself.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.