Elizabeth-Oscar

RFE received re: Last Personal Meeting

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I know this is a long process for all of us and wish you all luck in your journeys. I received an RFE earlier this week for more information regarding my last personal meeting with my fiancee, who currently lives in Italy.

We submitted the I-129F petition in November 2012. I went to Italy to see Oscar in March 2012 (when he proposed) and again in December 2012 for New Year's. ( I have a trip planned for May 2013). With the initial application I sent in my receipts from my trip in March 2012, notarized letters from my soon to be sister and brother in law stating I was in Milan and stayed with them as well as pictures from the trip. I realize now I should have sent in a copy of my passport but did not at the time.

So this is my current dilemma:

I don't have my boarding passes from my trip to Italy last March or over New Years 2013. I do have copies of the receipt and proof that Delta gave me frequent flyer miles for the trip. I also have my passport stamps but the stamps are from Amsterdam and Paris not Italy. Because Italy is part of the EU, I didn't have to have my passport re stamped when I arrived there.

Basically these things are considered primary evidence. Film-dated pictures don't count as primary evidence. Although I submitted pictures and statements from Oscar's sister and brother in law that stated I was in Italy, apparently these don't count as evidence of meeting in person.

I have until July 12, 2013 to respond but obviously want to respond sooner rather than later.

Do you think that this is sufficient "primary evidence" or should I wait until after I go see Oscar in May 2013 and make sure I hold on to my boarding passes from this trip before I send in the documents or if my passport stamps, delta receipt and Delta frequent flyer miles from the December 2012/January 2013 trip will be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and guidance!

Did you take some cash out of an ATM in Italy or paid for something with a debit or credit card? Print the bank statements and highlight place of purchase. That's proof you were there.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi everyone!

I know this is a long process for all of us and wish you all luck in your journeys. I received an RFE earlier this week for more information regarding my last personal meeting with my fiancee, who currently lives in Italy.

We submitted the I-129F petition in November 2012. I went to Italy to see Oscar in March 2012 (when he proposed) and again in December 2012 for New Year's. ( I have a trip planned for May 2013). With the initial application I sent in my receipts from my trip in March 2012, notarized letters from my soon to be sister and brother in law stating I was in Milan and stayed with them as well as pictures from the trip. I realize now I should have sent in a copy of my passport but did not at the time.

So this is my current dilemma:

I don't have my boarding passes from my trip to Italy last March or over New Years 2013. I do have copies of the receipt and proof that Delta gave me frequent flyer miles for the trip. I also have my passport stamps but the stamps are from Amsterdam and Paris not Italy. Because Italy is part of the EU, I didn't have to have my passport re stamped when I arrived there.

Basically these things are considered primary evidence. Film-dated pictures don't count as primary evidence. Although I submitted pictures and statements from Oscar's sister and brother in law that stated I was in Italy, apparently these don't count as evidence of meeting in person.

I have until July 12, 2013 to respond but obviously want to respond sooner rather than later.

Do you think that this is sufficient "primary evidence" or should I wait until after I go see Oscar in May 2013 and make sure I hold on to my boarding passes from this trip before I send in the documents or if my passport stamps, delta receipt and Delta frequent flyer miles from the December 2012/January 2013 trip will be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and guidance!

Have you contacted the airline or travel service you used to book the tickets? Sometimes you can get a copy of the ticket and that along with the passport stamps can show you actually travelled. OR you can ask the airline if they will write a letter stating you were on each flight. Other than that you will need some sort of receipt to show you were both in the same city at the same time.

You need to have the proof of meeting within two years before you submitted the petition or the petition will be denied. You may want to submit all the primary evidence that you travelled to the EU and then submit the photos and have his brother-in-law and sister complete affidavitts attesting that you were both in Italy together. Not just statements, but legally binding and sworn statements which carry more weight.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.