meadow

HELP! DS 260 QUESTION!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm the petitioner and I'm filling out the DS 260 and don't know what to put for my address! I'm living in Mexico on a tourist visa and on the I129F forms I listed my Mexican address. I want to be consistent and put the same address on the DS 260, but not if it will screw things over later if they'll need proof of my US address or something. Should I just put my permanent residence in the US (which is our first destination in the US) even if it's inconsistent with the original forms?? Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Mexico regional subforum to K-1 Process forum, for wider coverage and because answers can be of interest to many. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

On all forms you should put your permanent address in the United States. If you are on a tourist visa you are not permanently living in Mexico. a good rule of thumb is if you have a contract, or receive bills and taxes, etc. where you're staying, however this isn't usually the case for tourist visas. I'm assuming you got the Notice of approval from USCIS or you wouldn't be doing the DS 260 form. Therefore, I'd still put your permanent address in the US, and your Fiancé/Spouse can always explain the situation if it comes up as a question in his/her interview. But if you put the Mexican address they may ask why you are requesting a visa if you're (USC) permanently living in Mexico. I'm on a tourist visa as well, waiting in Mexico with my Fiancé till his interview in may. I put my US address as recommended by my attorney. Since you are the USC you should put your permanent address in the states and if that is the address where the beneficiary will be residing as well, the same address should be put in as the beneficiary's address within the U.S. For the beneficiary's current address, you must put the one in Mexico. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Timeline

On all forms you should put your permanent address in the United States. If you are on a tourist visa you are not permanently living in Mexico. a good rule of thumb is if you have a contract, or receive bills and taxes, etc. where you're staying, however this isn't usually the case for tourist visas. I'm assuming you got the Notice of approval from USCIS or you wouldn't be doing the DS 260 form. Therefore, I'd still put your permanent address in the US, and your Fiancé/Spouse can always explain the situation if it comes up as a question in his/her interview. But if you put the Mexican address they may ask why you are requesting a visa if you're (USC) permanently living in Mexico. I'm on a tourist visa as well, waiting in Mexico with my Fiancé till his interview in may. I put my US address as recommended by my attorney. Since you are the USC you should put your permanent address in the states and if that is the address where the beneficiary will be residing as well, the same address should be put in as the beneficiary's address within the U.S. For the beneficiary's current address, you must put the one in Mexico. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Yes, we got our NOA2 and heard that it's on the way to Juarez now. I've been living in Mexico for a couple years (volunteering and doing freelance work on a tourist visa) and initially put down my address in Mexico thinking that it would be added proof of the relationship to show that I live here with my fiancé. I now realize that it complicated things a bit. Thanks again!

Timeline

It can still be used as proof of relationship. For example, if your both on the rent contract etc. My Fiancé and I have memberships at the same gym, and We've used that as proof as well. So it's ok that you put the address. Just needs to be clarified on the form that your permanent address is in the USC if that's the case. But you can still use whatever proof necessary to show your relationship is valid. In our case my Fiancé and I've been traveling so much that I wasn't sure what to put either. You can even clarify it in a letter if necessary, and if for example, your registered US permanent address isn't actually your house, and it's your parents or something where you would be staying initially, they can write a letter as well. Don't worry. You'll be fine!

Edited by RomaSkirsky

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.