dukeandduchess

Should We Contact Our Congressman?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We applied for my AOS (based on K1 marriage) in July 2012, got an RFE (tax info) and responded in September (received by USCIS September 13, 2012). I did my Biometrics in July or August. Since then our packet has been rotting somewhere in NBC. I know it has been taking a long time but it has been 7 months now, almost 8. Should we contact our congressman? I've heard calling the hotline does absolutely nothing.

I need advice on how to proceed. I was also wondering if anyone had an example letter to their congressman? I'm not sure how much information to put in (like case #) although I'm sure I'd have to to get anything done. Can I contact the Congressman or does my USC Husband need to?

I'm trying to decide if I need to renew my EAD or not too. I heard I can apply for a new one without paying the fee - How do I go about doing that?

Thank you very much!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We applied for my AOS (based on K1 marriage) in July 2012, got an RFE (tax info) and responded in September (received by USCIS September 13, 2012). I did my Biometrics in July or August. Since then our packet has been rotting somewhere in NBC. I know it has been taking a long time but it has been 7 months now, almost 8. Should we contact our congressman? I've heard calling the hotline does absolutely nothing.

I need advice on how to proceed. I was also wondering if anyone had an example letter to their congressman? I'm not sure how much information to put in (like case #) although I'm sure I'd have to to get anything done. Can I contact the Congressman or does my USC Husband need to?

I'm trying to decide if I need to renew my EAD or not too. I heard I can apply for a new one without paying the fee - How do I go about doing that?

Thank you very much!

Begin with finding the right link on the politicians web site that gives the USC the form they all require. I would ask them for a copy of their voting record on immigration issues. What was the last action taken when it comes to reforms? The staff is trained and paid to placate the citizen.

Have the USC contact USCIS on line to set up an Info Pass appointment that may result in first hand info.

AoS from a K visa can take the best part of a year, so I would anticipate on hearing something within the next 8 - 12 weeks.

That being said, you can contact one of your congressional representatives to find the case status. Simply find your three congressional representatives (two Senators and then one in the House - this will do it) and look at their official site. Under "Help", "Services" or "Federal Agency Help" (it will be called something like that) will be a linked form that you must complete, sign, and return to their listed office (you can usually fax them for a quick turnaround). Their immigration liaison will then contact USCIS for your case status and you will probably get a response in less than a week.

Since the I-485 is your application then you would need to be the one to make the request.

Renewing your EAD is free. Simply complete a new I-765 (indicating a renewal application under the same category - C-9) and enclose both a copy of the front and back of your current, expiring EAD, and the NOA for your I-485, and the application fee is waived. In all likelihood you should get your green card before your EAD expires, but it never hurts to cover all the bases. You should submit a renewal EAD request around 120 days before your current EAD will expire. Renewal applications are sent to the Chicago Lockbox, the same as your initial application was.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh - I don't think we ever got my NOA1. Only things I got were my Biometrics letter and RFE. I'll have to take a second look to make sure.

Thank you for the replies so far - very helpful!

Edit: my Biometrics Appointment letter says it's a notice of action - is that my NOA1?

Edited by dukeandduchess

No, the I-485 NOA will specifically say that it is your receipt.

It's possible that you can use that if you have nothing else - worst case scenario they will just return your application.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Yes contact your congressman and/or senators. We got a legit answer from a senate inquiry within a week and a half of contacting his office and were satisfied. Like the previous poster said look on the congressman/senators website and it will guide you on how to proceed with government/immigration casework. I had to call one of my senators local offices and the other had an online form to fill out(Don't have a congressman at the moment). You will have to sign a release which gives them permission to give your info when contacting the USCIS. I scanned/emailed it to one of my senators and the other wanted by snail mail. Either way it was pretty easy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.