6 posts in this topic

Hi there, I am curious about the history of AOS approvals. We gratefully sailed through the K1 process relatively quickly, thanks I think, to some meticulous preparation and submission of all our paperwork....there was a lot as we were applying for myself and 3 children.

We have been here since December 30, 2012 and have really settled in to our new life here in the US over the last 3 months or so. My now husband has adjusted amazingly to his role as a new Father for my children, we have invested money into settling in and creating a home with the purchase of a car for myself and the kids, furniture, new bikes for the kids and they are all settled into their new school since the end of Christmas break....I guess what I am saying/asking here is, I can't imagine having to tear ourselves away from this new life here if our AOS was denied. I am hoping that I was as thorough with our AOS paperwork as we were with the K1 paperwork and that we will be approved.....we would be devastated beyond words or comprehension if, after all this and the coming months of waiting for word from USCIS, we received a denial.

Does anyone have any stats on the approvals/denials of AOS?

Thank you!!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi there, I am curious about the history of AOS approvals. We gratefully sailed through the K1 process relatively quickly, thanks I think, to some meticulous preparation and submission of all our paperwork....there was a lot as we were applying for myself and 3 children.

We have been here since December 30, 2012 and have really settled in to our new life here in the US over the last 3 months or so. My now husband has adjusted amazingly to his role as a new Father for my children, we have invested money into settling in and creating a home with the purchase of a car for myself and the kids, furniture, new bikes for the kids and they are all settled into their new school since the end of Christmas break....I guess what I am saying/asking here is, I can't imagine having to tear ourselves away from this new life here if our AOS was denied. I am hoping that I was as thorough with our AOS paperwork as we were with the K1 paperwork and that we will be approved.....we would be devastated beyond words or comprehension if, after all this and the coming months of waiting for word from USCIS, we received a denial.

Thank you!!

I dont know if there are any stats regarding AOS success rates, but even if there were they would be immaterial in your case.

Each case of AOS is analyzed on its own merits. If there were anything in your closet that might prevent you from proceeding with AOS it would have surfaced during the K-1 process.

The fear most have when dealing with the USCIS is completely unfounded. You would not be denied AOS for mundane reasons. Your relationship is real. Your marriage is real. The truth has a distinctive ring and the USCIS agents are trained to listen and identify it. Most of what you will need to present for AOS, other than the legal documentation - marriage certificate, etc - are the things that you normally have or accumulate when you have a husband/wife and kids. Relax, don't lose sleep over it and enjoy your family.

Here is to hoping that it goes smoothly and quickly!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you!!

When did he file your AOS? Did he also file for EAD? ..I file for both late Jan, got my EAD card couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything about my AOS interview. The good thing is I can work now.

When did he file your AOS? Did he also file for EAD? ..I file for both late Jan, got my EAD card couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything about my AOS interview. The good thing is I can work now.

We filed on the 27th of March and received our NOA1 on the 4th of April....really hoping I get my EAD soon, I'm itching to start work!!

I dont know if there are any stats regarding AOS success rates, but even if there were they would be immaterial in your case.

Each case of AOS is analyzed on its own merits. If there were anything in your closet that might prevent you from proceeding with AOS it would have surfaced during the K-1 process.

The fear most have when dealing with the USCIS is completely unfounded. You would not be denied AOS for mundane reasons. Your relationship is real. Your marriage is real. The truth has a distinctive ring and the USCIS agents are trained to listen and identify it. Most of what you will need to present for AOS, other than the legal documentation - marriage certificate, etc - are the things that you normally have or accumulate when you have a husband/wife and kids. Relax, don't lose sleep over it and enjoy your family.

Here is to hoping that it goes smoothly and quickly!

Thank you so much for your reply, it does make me feel better. I should have learnt from the K1 process not to worry so much about nothing!

Don't worry either if it seems that it's taking FOREVER for a AOS approval. Its the norm right now apparently. I filed in October 2012 (almost 7 months now!) from a K-1 and we are still waiting to hear. I received my EAD about 2.5 months after filing AOS.

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

You won't be denied.

Well, let me qualify this. If you fail to respond to a RFE, you could be denied. Then you could refile because you'd be denied "without prejudice." That is a waste of money, so don't do that.

If they think your relationship is fake, then you would get many interviews, maybe a home visit. Then they might deny, then you could go to court, try to get an immigration judge to overturn the decision. Think about all the money that costs the government. Do you really think that they want to go through that? Don't you think that after so much experience they don't know a real relationship when they see one? And with your case, if you made it through K-1, you think they would think that was a mistake and go through all this hassle? No, they won't.

You will probably be approved without interview. Don't worry about getting sent home, it's not going to happen.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.