bgreen19

Changing wife's passport Philippines

13 posts in this topic

Hi VJ. I've been through a lot of posts on here regarding changing my wife's passport to her married name and was hoping somebody could help clarify things for us. We are married and have filed our I-130 in her married name but also listed her maiden name in the "other names used" section. My wife's passport is valid until 2016 and we're wondering if she has to change it, or if she can just leave it in her maiden name? I know that if she leaves it in her maiden name everything will be issued in her maiden name. Will it cause a problem that we've used her married name on all of our immigration paperwork or will the NSO marriage certificate justify her married name on the paperwork? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

The passport has nothing to do with her US identity, she can change her name in the US based on the marriage license. When she travels outside US e she should carry a certified copy of her marriage license with her greencard and she can keep her passport on her old name.

My US driver license is on a different name than my passport. It really is a hassle to change a foreign passport from the US so if it doesn't expire she doesn't need to

Edited by Mariana2012

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm more concerned about the fact we used her married name on all of our immigration forms. Can we still keep her passport in her maiden name?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can renew her passport now so it can be changed into her married name. She needs to submit the original NSO marriage certificate to DFA.

http://passport.com.ph

Edited by apple21

I submitted all the I-130 paperwork in my wife's maiden name. Her passport is in her maiden name. The lady at the embassy just suggested it all be the same from start to finish. We intend to change her passport in the US to her married name as it doesn't expire until 2016. Good luck.

So does she have to change it since we put her paperwork in her married name? We'd really like to just leave it in her maiden name and worry about the name change later when she gets to the US.

Timeline

So does she have to change it since we put her paperwork in her married name? We'd really like to just leave it in her maiden name and worry about the name change later when she gets to the US.

I think it'll be easier to do it now that she's still here in the Philippines, if you already have the NSO marriage certificate, for her names to be consistent in all the immigration forms including the visa.

I had my wife go to renew her passport in her Married name in Cebu and the DFA told her she couldn't becuz her passport doesn't expire for a couple more years. They said she had to wait til then. That's in Cebu though, and you know how it is in the PI. If you go somewhere else they might just renew it without telling you that. I wanted to get it in her Married name, cuz we just took a trip to Hong Kong the beginning of March. I used her married name on the tickets, so I just had to make sure we brought our marriage certificate with us. Cebu asked a lot more questions then Manila did, but it was no problem since we had the MC and all our paperwork correct. She had her CFO certificate also.

I know when she renews her passport here in the USA we'll have to go all the way to Chicago. To the Philippine Consulate there.

Gonna try again.

USS Liberty - Not Forgotten

Timeline

I had my wife go to renew her passport in her Married name in Cebu and the DFA told her she couldn't becuz her passport doesn't expire for a couple more years. They said she had to wait til then. That's in Cebu though, and you know how it is in the PI. If you go somewhere else they might just renew it without telling you that. I wanted to get it in her Married name, cuz we just took a trip to Hong Kong the beginning of March. I used her married name on the tickets, so I just had to make sure we brought our marriage certificate with us. Cebu asked a lot more questions then Manila did, but it was no problem since we had the MC and all our paperwork correct. She had her CFO certificate also.

I know when she renews her passport here in the USA we'll have to go all the way to Chicago. To the Philippine Consulate there.

Wow! DFA Cebu told her that? Shame on them. Some government employees are real idiots.

I have a valid passport under my maiden name, after I got our NSO MC I immediately renewed my passport. The guy at DFA (Aseana-Macapagal) asked why I'm renewing a valid passport, I simply said I changed marital status and I want to use my married name.

Wow! DFA Cebu told her that? Shame on them. Some government employees are real idiots.I have a valid passport under my maiden name, after I got our NSO MC I immediately renewed my passport. The guy at DFA (Aseana-Macapagal) asked why I'm renewing a valid passport, I simply said I changed marital status and I want to use my married name.

Exactly why we didn't change hers here in Cebu.

Hornet, you might try a travel agent it getting in changed to her married name. It might cost you a few hundred pesos extra, but they usually have a connection in the local DFA offices.

Edited by Mojoe1

Thanks for the info. I figured in some provinces that they wouldn't say that. In my experience so far, Cebu is a real pain in the butt when it comes to paperwork. The CFO person wanted all kinds of extra paperwork of mine also, after my wife had already taken and received the cert. they called her back and took the certificate back until she brouht in my Divorce decrees and our Cenomar's. I was married before and in Manila and Subic Bay was much easier. Whoever is in charge of the Cebu offices are training them to be like that..

I'll have her check on a travel agent, thanks. I don't want to mess things up now with her I-130 at NVC now and hopefully to the Embassy in a month or so.

But I'd sure rather have her update it to her married name now though. Easier to do it there and not have to explain the difference everytime we go somewhere.

She also applied for a passport for her son. (even though his father is American and we're applying for CRBA)

They told her he had to have a Baptismal Cert. before they would issue him a passport. So we got him baptised while I was there a few weeks ago.

Easier to just Baptise him then argue with them. Even in the Philippines that can't be required? is it? Muslims don't get baptised. or Buddist's either.

I just think it's Cebu. About the only thing I don't like about Cebu is the beauracrats.

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Gonna try again.

USS Liberty - Not Forgotten

Your wife can leave her passport in her maiden name if she chooses to do so. You won't have any problem using her married name on any paperwork because that's exactly what you should do. Your NSO marriage certificate bridges the gap between her maiden name and her married name.

However, it's much easier to amend her passport in the Philippines than it is in the U.S. To amend her passport in the Philippines, she needs her NSO marriage certificate, her CFO cetificate of attendance, and any other DFA requirements.

Also, it might be a good idea to amend her passport now to make sure that her green card will be issued in her married name.

Keep in mind that she is not "renewing" her passport, she's "amending" it. If the DFA clerk gives her any problems, ask to talk to a supervisor. She's allowed to amend her passport.

Your wife can leave her passport in her maiden name if she chooses to do so. You won't have any problem using her married name on any paperwork because that's exactly what you should do. Your NSO marriage certificate bridges the gap between her maiden name and her married name.

However, it's much easier to amend her passport in the Philippines than it is in the U.S. To amend her passport in the Philippines, she needs her NSO marriage certificate, her CFO cetificate of attendance, and any other DFA requirements.

Also, it might be a good idea to amend her passport now to make sure that her green card will be issued in her married name.

Keep in mind that she is not "renewing" her passport, she's "amending" it. If the DFA clerk gives her any problems, ask to talk to a supervisor. She's allowed to amend her passport.

Thanks Tahoma! That's exactly what we'll do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.