4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I see that in the I-485 package, the I-693 is listed, but as I have been reading some members' timelines, it appears as they did not have to send off this form until after the I-130 and I-485, etc. had been received. The reason I ask is that we're spending our entire savings on this paperwork, and barely have enough (assuming that the medical exam is $100 as we have been quoted by a local authorized surgeon). The main concern is that if immunizations are required, we won't be able to afford them.

I see that the information page for the I-693 says:

What are the vaccination requirements?

You should have vaccinations for:

* Mumps

* Measles

* Rubella

* Polio

* Tetanus

* Diphtheria toxoids

* Pertussis

* Influenza type B

* Hepatitis B

If you are unable to submit all your vaccination records at the time of the exam, or if you have never had certain vaccines, the Civil Surgeon or Panel Physician can administer them to you.

Important: Do not try to fulfill your vaccination requirements before you meet with the Panel Physician or Civil Surgeon, in case it is not medically appropriate for you to have one or more of the required vaccines

But then on the actual form, it says under "Immunization Incomplete" on page 2 that "Immunizations are not required, but the applicant should be encouraged to go to a physician or local health department for appropriate immunizations." So does this mean that they really want you to be immunized, but it's not actually required? (Since the uscis description says "should" rather that "must.")

Sorry for getting so technical!!

October 2005: Met online playing World of Warcraft

December 19, 2005: David flies to America on VWP to visit

February 26, 2006: Married!

March 14, 2006: Filed I-130 ... by itself. Oops.

June 21, 2006: I-130 approved

March 12, 2007: Mailed I-485 package

April 5, 2007: Biometrics

May 30, 2007: Email notification: EAD approved!!

June 4, 2007: EAD received!!

July 24, 2007: Interview 8am APPROVED!!! Day 133 from filing. Emails for card production and welcome letter.

July 25, 2007: Passport stamped

August 6, 2007: GC in hand

.png

Hey Lostunderwaves.

Im not sure what it is like in England but what i did in Australia was i got a copy of the required vaccines worked out what was age appropiate, I then went to my own doctor took the list with me. They did a blood test to see what i needed and what i didnt. I only required the tetanus booster. I then got the doctor to print out a copy of my blood test report and also to put in writing that i had been immunisud for tetanus. I took all of this to the civil surgeon and it was accepted as proof of vaccinations. I only paid for the docotrs visit as the rest was done through medicare as it was a normal doctors visit. if i had of had it done at the civil surgeon it would have had to be paid for out of my pocket. hope this helps

angela

SENT K1 VISA APPLICATION--- 7/17/05
NOA1--- 7/27/05
DAY 78--- 10/14/2005 APPROVED
LEFT NVS--- 10/24/2005
RECEIVED PACKET 3--- 11/09/2005
RECEIVED PACKET 4 --- 11/24/2005
INTERVIEW --- 12/02/2005 APPROVED
RECEIVED VISA--- 12/08/2005

SENT AOS--- EAD--- 02/28/2006
received noa for AOS and EAD-------- 03/07/2006
biometrics done-------- 04/26/2006
Touched for both AOS @ EAD------- 05/03/2006
EAD APPROVED----------------------- 05/19/2006
EAD received in mail ------------------- 05/24/2006
AOS APPROVED -------------------- 06/14/2006
RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL 19 JUNE 2006

SENT REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS----------- 03/12/2008
check cashed---------- 03/19/2008
NOA Dated----------- 03/17/2008 receive in mail 03/20/2008
biometrics ------------ 04/16/2008
APPROVED ----------- 06/13/2008

Hi!

I am currently working on my I-693 as well and under the same predicament. And as far as I have read from VJ, the required vaccinations differ from each applicant based on their place of origin. So, you might as well ask the designated civil surgeons in your place first what are the required vaccinations and tests (like blood tests for HIV, etc.) for you and they will ask from what country you came from and they will tell you. That is why it is stated as, "Important: Do not try to fulfill your vaccination requirements before you meet with the Panel Physician or Civil Surgeon, in case it is not medically appropriate for you to have one or more of the required vaccines."

Another thing is that, if you have a health insurance (HMO), you can (I guess) get these required immunizations from them. As it is stated in the paperwork, "The examining physician may refer you to your personal physician or a local public health department..."

Lastly, you might want to call several designated civil surgeons in your place and ask how much is their fee. I've called several on my list and it turns out that they have different rates, so, better try and call and check out which can offer you the lowest cost.

Goodluck working on your I-693 as well.

Chris

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just go to the civil surgeon, he or she will tell you what vaccinations he is going to require in order to sign off on the medical exam. Bring your husband's vaccination records so he doesn't have to get shots he already had as a child.

You will have to visit the civil surgeon twice, a few days apart. The first time will be the exam and they will do a TB skin test (the weird ####### thing on the arm), among other things. Then your husband will have to go back a few days later so they can read the results of the skin test.

At the first visit, the civil surgeon will tell him which shots he needs to get. Most people have to get an MMR booster and a tetanus shot at a minimum. You can get these shots at the surgeon's office, or you can get them through your own health insurance or at a low-cost shot clinic. So if you want to save some money, find out where there is a shot clinic and tell the surgeon you are going to get your shots there. When you go back to have the TB skin test read, bring the vaccination record from the shot clinic to prove that your husband got the necessary vax.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.