dlc68

Potential Red flags for K1 application?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I tend to be suspicious, been on this board too long.

I think it most likely that she was scammed by the nursing home/lawyer. Would not be the first time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I tend to agree with you, Boiler (and I'm suspicious, too). Unfortunately, she entered into the deal a full two years before I met her, so I don't know all the details, and couldn't have possibly put a stop to it. I do remember when she first told me about it -- soon after I met her -- thinking she was scammed. Apparently there's a contract (which I haven't seen) that, I'm sure, absolves the nursing agency and lawyer of any responsibility. I'm going to ask to see that. I'll report back with any shenanigans I find -- just for a good laugh, if anything. :lol:

Edited by dlc68

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The bottom line is if you love her and you believe she loves you back. Go for it! Just be honest about the details. USCIS will be the ones who determine if they think any red flags are in play. It's your happiness on the line so you're really the only that can determine it's worth.

From what I've read you've got a deck that seems pretty stacked in your favor. She's been to the US multiple times, and has done so following the correct legal course. She's from a family that is well off, and her earning potential as a nurse are less likely to get you into heated discussions about money. She's got family close to your area, so expect to be going to family functions regularly and getting to know your future relatives. If you're concerned about getting taken advantage of then ask for a prenup?

Edited by YourHumboldtBud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

-I don't see any red flags regarding all the points that you mentioned, I don't think that the Us embassy will see some red flags.

But

Because you said that you were concerned, and when I read you post I didn't know if your were concern about we think about this case or what the us embassy may think about this case.

So

In the beginning i though that it was kind of her to be ready to give up the I-140, really kind. I'm glad that I waited to read the VJ members' opinions.

1) I met my husband online, it was on a website, they give you: the choice of the country, so when somebody find an American citizen on a website, they know what they are looking for: An American

I also think that they are more present online than other countries (maybe that changed, i don't know).

2) So you have the state also, and the location (not the address).

If you want to meet somebody in Buffalo, NY. You do a search of a man (single, divorced... like you want), Buffalo, NY.

And you have all the details, color of the eyes, height, age...

I don't think that the "randomly stuff" works for the dating websites.

You find what you are looking for on dating websites.

If some people met on a forum game, it can be more "by random" than a website. But... On facebook and Skype, I don't understand how the dating search functions.

3) I don't think that all those things are red flags or scams, it's more a security love (or sometimes economical love, don't know the difference) which according to me last longer that those kind of passion-2 year-love.

4) The last one is the I-140. It's more likely a scam, it's true that if you want to get out of your situation and anybody promised you a good job, it's normal for some people to be ready to pay some money for a better future, even 2000$.

If she paid 2000$, it's in the logical line of thought, I'm not worried about what is logic.

But my question if, "is it true that she paid this amount"? - I would ask to see those papers, or an address or phone number that I can call...and do my own research. I'm surprised that she never asked you to call, it will be one of the first thing I would ask you to do for me, if I were on her basket. I don't even give up 5 dollars.

So I don't understand why she is ready to give up 2000$ so easily. I would wrestle for it and ask you to check for me, and cry everyday for it.

It's a logical attitude, for me; so a part of me don't understand why she doesn't react in a logical way. The only way for me to give up this amount it's if I make 50000$ per month (lol).

Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, I have just this kind of technical view of everything.

If she paid this amount really, so she is a treasure of girl.

Good luck for everything.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Hi dic68...

My wife, Chinook, and I were K-1'ers just like you. Chinook was a nurse in the Philippines, and now she's a nurse here in the U.S. Chinook has a friend who was also a nurse in the Philippines and successfully went through the K-1 process at the same time we did. There have been many other Pinay nurses here on VJ who successfully completed the fiancée visa process or the spousal visa process. The U.S. Embassy doesn't give nurses the stink eye, probably because they know a nurse is a highly educated and skilled professional who is unlikely to become a public charge here in the U.S. So, you and your fiancée have little to worry about in that regard.

I don't think your fiancée will have any problem with her fiancée visa because of her pending work visa. I'm sure the Embassy understands that a lot of nurses in 'pinas want to work in the U.S. It's only natural.

Just out of curiosity, has your fiancée passed the NCLEX-RN yet? If so, what state did she apply through? If not, what state is she planning to apply through? What state do you live in?

PS...After working as a nurse in 'pinas, she's going to faint when she sees her first paycheck here in the U.S. :)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for tne words of encouragement, Tahoma! :thumbs:

Just out of curiosity, has your fiancée passed the NCLEX-RN yet? If so, what state did she apply through? If not, what state is she planning to apply through? What state do you live in?

Yes, she passed NCLEX in California and was issued a temporary license (since she didn't have an SSN), which she transferred to Vermont. Her Vermont license is still active. I live in California, so we hope she can transfer her license back here once she has an SSN. Do you know about this?

Thanks for tne words of encouragement, Tahoma! :thumbs:

Yes, she passed NCLEX in California and was issued a temporary license (since she didn't have an SSN), which she transferred to Vermont. Her Vermont license is still active. I live in California, so we hope she can transfer her license back here once she has an SSN. Do you know about this?

The first thing your fiancée needs in order to endorse her Vermont nursing license to California is a Social Security number. Check out the California Board of Nursing website for any other requirements for endorsing her license to California.

A week or two after your fiancée arrives in the U.S., you should take her down to your local Social Security office and have her apply for a Social Security number. She'll receive it a couple of weeks later. If the clerk at the Social Security office gives her any guff about K-1'ers not being allowed to apply for a Social Security number, then you need to talk to a supervisor because K-1'ers are allowed to have a Social Security number.

Once you get married, if your wife changes her name, take her back down to the Social Security office and have her apply for a name change. She'll get her updated Social Security card in a couple of weeks.

Chinook was approved to sit for the NCLEX by the state of Vermont. When she arrived here in Washington state, she passed the NCLEX and received a Vermont nursing license. Then she endorsed her license to Washington.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.