P A U L

Flight tips

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

So I've been doing some calculating... and I have discovered it is cheaper to fly to New York (La Guardia LGA) via Southwest Airlines → take a 20 minute cab ride to JFK airport → and find the cheapest flight available to Moscow (All airports MOW). Southwest has the cheapest domestic flights. There are no cheap flights out of LGA to MOW, hence the cab ride to JFK.

I fly a lot for work so I have a lot of points on Southwest... I plan on using the points for free plane ticket to New York. My credit card provides a nice discount for airfare, and I also have points to use :thumbs: After applying about 45,000 points from credit card, I have to pay about $200 total for the airfare to Moscow!! On the way back home, fiancee and I are planning to fly into NYC again...maybe tour for a day? Then fly for free Southwest back to California.

So in the end, I'm only paying about $200 for my airfare.

Edited by P A U L

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Sounds great! I love cheap summertime fares through Houston on Air Singapore. Last year we were able to fly down to Houston and stay over night on credit card points before taking the cheap flight over! Have fun!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Aeroflot (JFK-SVO) is pretty cheap. Lots of people actually do LAX/JFK/SVO thing. I think there're options from SFO as well to do the same thing.

Orbitz and such sites are your friends whistling.gif

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

i found that the flight path from Los Angeles to Moscow involves the plane flying north of Canada, crossing the continent, and then back down to the destination... seems to save a little bit of time/money by flying cheap domestic flights to the eastern coast of the U.S., and then flying across the Atlantic Ocean. no need to visit Santa first.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

take a 20 minute cab ride to JFK airport

LGA to JFK in 20 minutes?......maybe at 2am!!!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

take a 20 minute cab ride to JFK airport

LGA to JFK in 20 minutes?......maybe at 2am!!!

Right, I'm glad you found something that works for you, but do you think the cab fare will eat up much of your savings on the ticket (if not your time and nerves?) I did something similar in '07, except it was from DC to JFK to SVO. As I recall there was a way to Metro over to JFK, though it involved some transfers. So if you go this route, I would only recommend it for your leg of the flight - flying back with your fiance I'm sure you'll have many more bags, so I'm sure you'll want to take a cab!

Either way, enjoy your trip, and make sure you've got flowers for when you meet your fiance in the terminal!! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Transaero also has direct flights DME (Domodedovo) to Miami. In the past the rates have been very good.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I haven't done the JFK to LGA thing for a while but there used to be buses that ran between the two airports about every 20-30 minutes. Check out the airports website and you should be able to get info on that option if you want.

Aeroflot is usually the cheapest on the JFK-SVO run. We just bought tickets for my MIL for a May to June visit for around 800 if I recall correctly. Some days are a lot cheaper than others and Kayak's site will show a calendar with the fares for each date.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i found that the flight path from Los Angeles to Moscow involves the plane flying north of Canada, crossing the continent, and then back down to the destination... seems to save a little bit of time/money by flying cheap domestic flights to the eastern coast of the U.S., and then flying across the Atlantic Ocean. no need to visit Santa first.

You still fly north even from NY and not straight east. That is the fastest way to get to Moscow. The fastest way on a flat map is not the same as the fastest way on a round Earth. They will not make flight paths that take longer than needed as fuel costs airlines a ton.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Timeline

You still fly north even from NY and not straight east. That is the fastest way to get to Moscow. The fastest way on a flat map is not the same as the fastest way on a round Earth. They will not make flight paths that take longer than needed as fuel costs airlines a ton.

yes, i know. but flying from ny is still a bit less than flying around all of North America and some bits of western Europe.

flying in a straight line on a round earth....eventually the plane will leave the atmosphere lol. or burn up inside of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.