Fenrisulfur

Converting F1 to F3 & change of address

35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I want to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read my question and for providing valuable insights about my situation. I just received a notice of approval from NVC for an F1 visa petition my dad filed years and years ago. However, I've gotten married and had a baby since the F1 visa petition was filed.

Is my F1 visa is automatically converted to an F3 visa (for married children of US citizens)? Do I just need to inform NVC via e-mail or mail that I got married and then file supporting documents such as a marriage certificate and birth certificate so that my husband and my spouse will become derivative beneficiaries of the petition? And since I've already received a notice of approval of the NVC, is it now too late to convert my visa application from F1 TO F3?

My other question is: who should contact the NVC regarding the conversion of my petition from F1 TO F3? Is it me, the beneficiary, or my dad, the petitioner?

To complicate the situation, I've actually been working as an overseas worker abroad for the past year. Is it necessary for me to inform them of my change of address or is it okay to continue to pursue my Manila-based petition? I don't want to change the consulate where my visa will be processed, since I don't mind flying back to Manila for my interview and my medical.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your thoughts VJers!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I want to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read my question and for providing valuable insights about my situation. I just received a notice of approval from NVC for an F1 visa petition my dad filed years and years ago. However, I've gotten married and had a baby since the F1 visa petition was filed.

Is my F1 visa is automatically converted to an F3 visa (for married children of US citizens)? Do I just need to inform NVC via e-mail or mail that I got married and then file supporting documents such as a marriage certificate and birth certificate so that my husband and my spouse will become derivative beneficiaries of the petition? And since I've already received a notice of approval of the NVC, is it now too late to convert my visa application from F1 TO F3?

My other question is: who should contact the NVC regarding the conversion of my petition from F1 TO F3? Is it me, the beneficiary, or my dad, the petitioner?

To complicate the situation, I've actually been working as an overseas worker abroad for the past year. Is it necessary for me to inform them of my change of address or is it okay to continue to pursue my Manila-based petition? I don't want to change the consulate where my visa will be processed, since I don't mind flying back to Manila for my interview and my medical.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your thoughts VJers!

I'm afraid you don't 'file a petition with NVC'. NVC only accept approved petitions from USCIS and starts the process for visa application and interviews at the consulate/embassy.

You will have to migrate to the US first and then petition uscis for your husband and child, based on your status as USC or LPR.

Either you or the petitioner can contact NVC if you have petinent details about the case such as receipt #, beneficiary DOB, name; petitioner name, DOB etc etc. Good luck!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm afraid you don't 'file a petition with NVC'. NVC only accept approved petitions from USCIS and starts the process for visa application and interviews at the consulate/embassy.

You will have to migrate to the US first and then petition uscis for your husband and child, based on your status as USC or LPR.

Either you or the petitioner can contact NVC if you have petinent details about the case such as receipt #, beneficiary DOB, name; petitioner name, DOB etc etc. Good luck!

OP was petitioned as an F1 (Unmarried Son/Daughter over 21 of USC). The minute she married, she disqualified herself from this category. She will be transferred to F3 (Married Son/Daughter of USC) which adds another 6 years of waiting time.

In what stage is your case in now? Do you already have the i-797c approval notice from USCIS? Have you already sent in the Choice of Address/Agent form to NVC? Have you paid the Affidavit of Support and Immigrant Visa Fee to NVC? Have you sent in your Affidavit of Support forms, DS-230 and civil documents to NVC?

Timeline

OP was petitioned as an F1 (Unmarried Son/Daughter over 21 of USC). The minute she married, she disqualified herself from this category. She will be transferred to F3 (Married Son/Daughter of USC) which adds another 6 years of waiting time.

In what stage is your case in now? Do you already have the i-797c approval notice from USCIS? Have you already sent in the Choice of Address/Agent form to NVC? Have you paid the Affidavit of Support and Immigrant Visa Fee to NVC? Have you sent in your Affidavit of Support forms, DS-230 and civil documents to NVC?

Hi Apple. Thank you for your insights. You are correct. I checked the latest visa bulletin online and in the Philippines, they are now issuing F1 visas for petitions filed October 15th, 1998. But for the F3 visa, it's September 15th, 1992. So there is a six year lag between the F1 & F3 visa. But my understanding is that despite my visa conversion, my priority date remains unchanged.

I have not submitted any forms to NVC. I received an email that that visa process can begin, probably because my priority date is almost current for the F1. How do I go about requesting for a visa conversion from F1 to F3? Do I email the NVC regarding my change of status from single to married or should my dad, the petitioner, contact NVC regarding my change of status?

Timeline

Hi Apple. Thank you for your insights. You are correct. I checked the latest visa bulletin online and in the Philippines, they are now issuing F1 visas for petitions filed October 15th, 1998. But for the F3 visa, it's September 15th, 1992. So there is a six year lag between the F1 & F3 visa. But my understanding is that despite my visa conversion, my priority date remains unchanged.

I have not submitted any forms to NVC. I received an email that that visa process can begin, probably because my priority date is almost current for the F1. How do I go about requesting for a visa conversion from F1 to F3? Do I email the NVC regarding my change of status from single to married or should my dad, the petitioner, contact NVC regarding my change of status?

Yes, you will retain your priority date. Only the category will change.

You have to email NVC regarding your status change (from single to married). Attach a copy of your NSO marriage certificate and your child's NSO birth certificate. Include your details like: Case Number, Category (F1), Priority Date, Petitioner's Name & Date of Birth, Beneficiary's (your) Name & Date of Birth.

You can still use your Manila address and you will still be interviewed in Manila.

Edited by apple21

Timeline

You have to email NVC regarding your status change (from single to married). Attach a copy of your NSO marriage certificate and your child's NSO birth certificate. Include your details like: Case Number, Category (F1), Priority Date, Petitioner's Name & Date of Birth, Beneficiary's (your) Name & Date of Birth.

You can still use your Manila address and you will still be interviewed in Manila.

This is very helpful. Thank you Apple! I want to prepare myself for the upcoming expenses related to the petition. After the conversion, would I have to pay the fees associated with my visa application or won't they collect the fee for the visa application until my priority date becomes current?

Timeline

This is very helpful. Thank you Apple! I want to prepare myself for the upcoming expenses related to the petition. After the conversion, would I have to pay the fees associated with my visa application or won't they collect the fee for the visa application until my priority date becomes current?

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be they will charge you when your PD becomes current on F3.

• 5 months later...
Timeline

helpsmilie.gif Hi apple! i just wanna ask you about this too was looking where to find good answer, My mom and her siblings petitioned under F1 category too.,,, NVC sent letter to my mom february 13 this year asking for my grandma's address in USA cos they can't contact grandma and there are undelivered letters for her. now we need to inform NVC about grandmas address, and also wanted to inform NVC about mom's changed of status, i do not know how to do it,, do u have sample letters how to inform them about change of status? also website for me to read about the information u gave here.. i hope u will not get offended by my question.smile.png .are u really sure sending NVC just email, attached MC and BC (of stepdad) is ok?? i mean i do not need to send via fedex...kicking.gif that will be great!!yes.gif ...yes. it will be converted to F3 i think for their PD f3 will be current next next year.... plus also my aunty F1 category she have 2 kids 19 and 10 so she just need to send their BCs too? she is not married. If im going to email NVC do i neeed to make 2? i mean one email for grandmas change of address and other one is informing them of change of status or it can be in one email... thankshelpsmilie.gifhelpsmilie.gifhelpsmilie.gif

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

helpsmilie.gif Hi apple! i just wanna ask you about this too was looking where to find good answer, My mom and her siblings petitioned under F1 category too.,,, NVC sent letter to my mom february 13 this year asking for my grandma's address in USA cos they can't contact grandma and there are undelivered letters for her. now we need to inform NVC about grandmas address, and also wanted to inform NVC about mom's changed of status, i do not know how to do it,, do u have sample letters how to inform them about change of status? also website for me to read about the information u gave here.. i hope u will not get offended by my question.smile.png .are u really sure sending NVC just email, attached MC and BC (of stepdad) is ok?? i mean i do not need to send via fedex...kicking.gif that will be great!!yes.gif ...yes. it will be converted to F3 i think for their PD f3 will be current next next year.... plus also my aunty F1 category she have 2 kids 19 and 10 so she just need to send their BCs too? she is not married. If im going to email NVC do i neeed to make 2? i mean one email for grandmas change of address and other one is informing them of change of status or it can be in one email... thankshelpsmilie.gifhelpsmilie.gifhelpsmilie.gif

First what is your priority date?

Second, you can just email NVC about your mom's change of status from single to married. Scan & attach in email her MC & BCs of her children. In the same email she can inform NVC of the new address of your grandma.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There is no fee to add your husband and child to your petition.

When it comes time to file for the visa petitions, there will be separate fees for the DS-230 immigrant visa application and associated costs (medical, police reports, etc) for each immigrant. There will only be one I-864 for the entire family.

Timeline

First what is your priority date?

Second, you can just email NVC about your mom's change of status from single to married. Scan & attach in email her MC & BCs of her children. In the same email she can inform NVC of the new address of your grandma.

Hi thank's for the reply! mom and her siblings priority date for F1 is august 9 1993 they missed it they supposed to be in US by now,,, ok that's good i will just email them... what about stepdad's BC will be included? does this mean that stepdad can come with her to US right away and doesnt need him to file for USCIS approval if it will be converted to F3..cos i think for f3 category will still take less than 2 years from now..

Timeline

I do still have anoher question...... does this mean sponsor/petitioner should have money to provide for them cos if she doesnt have it her beneficiaries will be denied of visa? plus how much does it really cost i mean NVC processing all? cos i wanted to know all the information cos i do not know what to do how it goes cos we do not wanna missed something ... mom has NVC case number now invoice id number and beneficiary number, here in the letter from NVC,, and also DS3032 letter so we have no IDEA how far we are and how long this process.. thanks

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi thank's for the reply! mom and her siblings priority date for F1 is august 9 1993 they missed it they supposed to be in US by now,,, ok that's good i will just email them... what about stepdad's BC will be included? does this mean that stepdad can come with her to US right away and doesnt need him to file for USCIS approval if it will be converted to F3..cos i think for f3 category will still take less than 2 years from now..

Yes send your stepdad's BC too. Yes F3 allows the spouse and minor children to go together with the principal beneficiary. For F3 Philippines it might take approx 8 months to be current since current PD now is Dec 1992.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.