mtcmk1

Immigrant Fee

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I just read this statement on www.uscis.gov/ImmigrantFee

"Children who enter the United States under either the Orphan or Hague adoption programs, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants, returning residents (SB-1s), and those issued K visas are the only immigrant visa cases exempt from paying the new fee."

Does that mean K1 visa holders are exempt from paying the $165 fee? It makes sense to me, but just want to double check. :bonk:

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Timeline

This thread answered my question: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405646-new-uscis-165-fee/

K1 as a non-immigrant visa is not supposed to pay the fee. So if you are K1, do not pay the fee. :thumbs:

I alreay paid it since Haiti Messenger made it sound like it was a must to leave the country, but requested a refund. Hopefully I get it. If not, lesson learned. As I do for everything else, I must research it before stupidly believing.

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

This thread answered my question: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405646-new-uscis-165-fee/

K1 as a non-immigrant visa is not supposed to pay the fee. So if you are K1, do not pay the fee. :thumbs:

I alreay paid it since Haiti Messenger made it sound like it was a must to leave the country, but requested a refund. Hopefully I get it. If not, lesson learned. As I do for everything else, I must research it before stupidly believing.

Just read it, Thanks for the clarification... they should def refund you your money, that's fraud

Timeline

YEs, I blame Haiti Messenger. From what I heard, they are now holding people's passports until you pay the fee (which they are not allowed)--they do let you pay the fee with them for a fee of $5, so they are probably out to make money... I reported that also to USCIS in my email to get a refund.. Hopefully they contact the Embassy and have them clarify that clause to Haiti Messenger :)

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

Filed: Timeline

YEs, I blame Haiti Messenger. From what I heard, they are now holding people's passports until you pay the fee (which they are not allowed)--they do let you pay the fee with them for a fee of $5, so they are probably out to make money... I reported that also to USCIS in my email to get a refund.. Hopefully they contact the Embassy and have them clarify that clause to Haiti Messenger :)

I doubt if either USCIS or the embassy will contact this HM to ask them to stop and desist from fraudulently charging this $5 fees. The embassy unfortunately is too busy giving genuine visa applicants a hard time that they would not be bothered to do the morally right thing.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

"Children who enter the United States under either the Orphan or Hague adoption programs, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants, returning residents (SB-1s), and those issued K visas are the only immigrant visa cases exempt from paying the new fee."

Does that mean K1 visa holders are exempt from paying the $165 fee? It makes sense to me, but just want to double check. :bonk:

K visa holders do not pay the fee.

Other fees are captured with the I-485, which includes the generation, printing, and mailing of a green card .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Interesting. that fee of 165 is to be paid online, no other way. Smells like a ripe scam , to me.

For Immigrant Visas, CR-1/2, IR-1/2/5 - the fee is NOT required to be paid before during or even after hitting the POE. Want a greencard, though? must to pay the fee if an Immigrant Visa Holder.

K visa holders are not deemed 'Immigrant Visa holders' in this context.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I doubt if either USCIS or the embassy will contact this HM to ask them to stop and desist from fraudulently charging this $5 fees. The embassy unfortunately is too busy giving genuine visa applicants a hard time that they would not be bothered to do the morally right thing.

Yes, that's the sad reality. :( I will try to contact HM myself and let them know what I think! haha.

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

Timeline

Interesting. that fee of 165 is to be paid online, no other way. Smells like a ripe scam , to me.

For Immigrant Visas, CR-1/2, IR-1/2/5 - the fee is NOT required to be paid before during or even after hitting the POE. Want a greencard, though? must to pay the fee if an Immigrant Visa Holder.

K visa holders are not deemed 'Immigrant Visa holders' in this context.

Yes, they are definitely being sneaky. They said that since you can only use an American card (probably not true); they can pay the fee online for the person using their card for a small fee of $5. Thanks for the replies! Hopefully I can find a way to keep them from scamming people.

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

Timeline

This does not surprise me that they are charging the $165 they know fully well what they are doing.I hope you get your refund but I would probably write the Embassy to give them the heads up and see what happens. They must think money grows on trees. :no:

Timeline

The only way to get a refund is to contact USCIS: 800-375-5283 with the transaction number and the Alien number.

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

Timeline

This does not surprise me that they are charging the $165 they know fully well what they are doing.I hope you get your refund but I would probably write the Embassy to give them the heads up and see what happens. They must think money grows on trees. :no:

I just called HM and told them exactly what I thought. They thought I was calling to get a refund and said that they could not give me a refund. I told them that I didn't pay it through you, but that I just wanted to inform them that their information is wrong and that they should fix it or they would lose business. They were very happy to hear that and promised to read the guide online and make the changes to the flyer they pass out when you go pick up the passport. Anyway, I hope they do make the change :)

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

Timeline

I just read the statement to make sure I understood. It said children which will be K2 are exempt from paying the $165.00, but it doesn't mention the the k1 which would be the fiance. What did USCIS say when you called them? will they give you the refund for the K1 fee you paid?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.