Faizan89

ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING - 5 MONTHS

12 posts in this topic

I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is a US citizen. I had my CR-1 Immigrant visa interview at Montreal consulate in September 2012. My interview was 10 minutes long and the interviewing officer asked me basic questions about our relationship etc. Once the interview was done, he handed me a welcome letter and told me I should get my visa within 4 to 5 days.

Instead, I received a letter from the embassy in mail saying that my case has been put into administrative processing. It has been five months but no update. I involved congressman but they couldn't do much. their response is "the case is still undergoing administrative processing".

They told me my case is documentarily complete and didnt ask for any further documentation.

Can someone tell me why the case is in AP and how much longer it can take? Is this normal..This is really frustrating.

Also I was born in Pakistan...not sure if this has anything to do with this. Please help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is a US citizen. I had my CR-1 Immigrant visa interview at Montreal consulate in September 2012. My interview was 10 minutes long and the interviewing officer asked me basic questions about our relationship etc. Once the interview was done, he handed me a welcome letter and told me I should get my visa within 4 to 5 days.

Instead, I received a letter from the embassy in mail saying that my case has been put into administrative processing. It has been five months but no update. I involved congressman but they couldn't do much. their response is "the case is still undergoing administrative processing".

They told me my case is documentarily complete and didnt ask for any further documentation.

Can someone tell me why the case is in AP and how much longer it can take? Is this normal..This is really frustrating.

Also I was born in Pakistan...not sure if this has anything to do with this. Please help.

You answered your own question....Where you were born!! I'm not saying it is right. If ur congress person is useless..next up the line is your Senator, so the USA spouse could contact them.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How about contacting the Montreal consulate directly and ask them - the case officer is the only one in a position to tell you. I have contacted Montreal many times when I was not sure how to proceed, and they always helped.

I don't think it has anything to do with where you were born. Clear your mind from suspicions. I can only imagine that they are conducting the usual investigations in your home country to satisfy any discrepancies.

You have mentioned that "Once the interview was done, he handed me a welcome letter and told me I should get my visa within 4 to 5 days" - did they keep your passport for visa ?

As far as involving congressman, senators etc. are concerned, I wouldn't even bother going that way.....

How about contacting the Montreal consulate directly and ask them - the case officer is the only one in a position to tell you. I have contacted Montreal many times when I was not sure how to proceed, and they always helped.

I don't think it has anything to do with where you were born. Clear your mind from suspicions. I can only imagine that they are conducting the usual investigations in your home country to satisfy any discrepancies.

You have mentioned that "Once the interview was done, he handed me a welcome letter and told me I should get my visa within 4 to 5 days" - did they keep your passport for visa ?

As far as involving congressman, senators etc. are concerned, I wouldn't even bother going that way.....

MENA countries are HIGHLY scrutinized. In all likelihood it has everything to do with where he was born.

Some take a very long time to get approved.

They probably have extra security checks to go through.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As previous VJers have noted, it most likely has to do with where the OP was born. It wasn't that long ago when another VJer had to wait in AP for a long time even though they were born in Canada- simply because their parents were born in Egypt. And involving a congressman of senator is better than doing nothing and certainly not inappropriate after this length of time.

Timeline

Dont contact ur congress person//senator----what do you base that on?? Others in a similar position have and have had luck. The Big obstacle for the Op is--where he is born! We have seen this many times here on VJ---A Canadian--yet born in a country that doers not exactly have friendly terms with the USA--gets put into AP!! Always best for the USA citizen to contact their Congress person and then senator--yes mot not do anything, but in the past, it has!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

And of course it may not be because of where the Op was born....but in many instances..1 never finds out why they were in AP.

hi, Thanks for taking time out to post...Yest they did keep my passport because the officer told me I should get my visa within 4-5 days. but once I got a letter in mail for AP I requested for my passport coz I had to travel to attend my brother's wedding. They ignored my emails but then I got the senator involved and they sent my passport within two days.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Did you get your visa yet?

It has been a while, good luck!

Timeline
It wasn't that long ago when another VJer had to wait in AP for a long time even though they were born in Canada- simply because their parents were born in Egypt.

Hello! I think you're referring to us, and yes, that was our best guess as to why his case was placed in AP. It was a horrible time, but luckily resolved within a few months. I'm sorry OP is going on 7 months now :angry:

Now, even though with a CR, my husband faces terrible waiting times at the border when he crosses - sometimes held for up to 5 hours, sometimes handcuffed. Recently, his mother passed away, and he had to travel back and forth a few times to finish her business and make arrangements for her belongings. The moving truck was scrutinized just as heavily. We don't know why it's happening...this stuff seems like such nonsense sometimes.

Anyway, I pop in here occasionally to see how others are faring. We still have a year before we do ROC and I'm sure I'll be back on here more regularly then.

Good luck everyone!

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hey Fez81, I was wondering if you received your visa yet?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.