bruins

Requirement for Marriage Certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey all - Does anyone know what the required US documents are to file and receive a marriage certificate in Vietnam?

From what I've heard, Vietnam requires (all translated into Vietnamese and autenticated):

1. birth certificate

2. US Passport

3. Proof of single

Am I missing anything else? thanks all!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Vietnam regional forum; topic is about document requirements for getting married Vietnam and not about the US spousal visa process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Hey all - Does anyone know what the required US documents are to file and receive a marriage certificate in Vietnam?

From what I've heard, Vietnam requires (all translated into Vietnamese and autenticated):

1. birth certificate

2. US Passport

3. Proof of single

Am I missing anything else? thanks all!

Hi bruins...

I am trying to remember exactly because I had to get so many papers.

I know I had to have:

US Passport (Bio page and current visa)

Birth Cert (Translated copy to Viet)

Proof of single and stamped at the US Embassy (50usd)

Proof of residence (House book stamped by local police station)

Picture proof of relationship and wedding ceremony

Your wife will then have her own list of docs she will have to supply them. Also if you can not give them a certain document as long as you have most things and give a good enough reason why you can't get the document for them they seem to be OK with that.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Filed: Timeline

The VN embassy website in the US has a good list of what you will need. One of the key things you need to remember is that you will need to have signatures authenticated - I am in California and I had to have the CA Secretary of State authenticate the local notary who witnessed my signature. The State Secty of State also authenticates other stamps and signatures (for example if you have a divorce decree). Then you will need a VN government representative here in the US authenticate the work of the state secty of state. Naturally all along the way you pay fees - fees to get certified copies, fees to authenticate, etc.

As mentioned above your VN spouse will have their own set of documentation requirements. Being VN the rules can be a little confusing - and malleable.

PM me if you want more details on what to expect. I went thru this last fall in HCMC.

Timeline

US Passport

Passport pics

Birth Certificate (I used my citizenship certificate)

Went to the local county office to get my proof of single

Medical checkup from the local vietnamese doctor. easy in and out.

After all fee's and forms filled, I went to vietnam and did pay some coffee money. Again, Easy in and Out before and after the interview.

It took us about a week or so to get our certificates. I did mine in Vung Tau, but recently they moved the office to Ba Ria. I heard in Dong Nai, I would have already failed.

Goodluck!

• 9 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hoang_Phuong

I have a question for you. I did my paperwork here in the US and everything is approved. I sent the paperwork to my fiance in Ba Ria VT and when she went to turn it in, they said I'm missing a new document that's implimented in May, 2013. The document is "Giay day du dieu kien de ket hon". She's now in Saigon trying to obtain it but unfortunately they were closed on Wedsnesday, so she had to stay there for a day and hopefully get it on Thursday. I, over here contacted my agent who did my paperwork and contacted the VN representative that works in the US Embassy and they said certain country and certain city/town required this new paperwork, but the U.S does not have this type of paperwork(other than the Affidavid of Single Status). I'm curious of what this piece of paper look like. I was wondering if you had any idea what this is. I don't understand how the U.S doesn't know such form exists yet in VN they required that form.

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

We got the new document. It's "statement in-lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage". There's no such form in the U.S and even though she has my power of attorney, she cannot complete this paperwork there :(

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

US Passport

Passport pics

Birth Certificate (I used my citizenship certificate)

Went to the local county office to get my proof of single

Medical checkup from the local vietnamese doctor. easy in and out.

After all fee's and forms filled, I went to vietnam and did pay some coffee money. Again, Easy in and Out before and after the interview.

It took us about a week or so to get our certificates. I did mine in Vung Tau, but recently they moved the office to Ba Ria. I heard in Dong Nai, I would have already failed.

Goodluck!

Hoang_phuong,

Do you need Secretary of State seal for proof of single? I heard from my friend that we need SOS seal before we can submit or moving forward with anything. Please advise, thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.