orbitalcircle

Domestic violence misdemeanor record and USC patitioner

6 posts in this topic

Will having a domestic violence misdemeanor 1 knowingly caused or attempted to cause bodily harm on my record with marijuana paraphernalia charge be grounds for denial of 129f petition. Both records are over 3 years old. My fiance the beneficiary has no record.

Who can be a co sponsor? I read somewhere that the co sponsor had to be living in the same household as primary sponsor. Can the co sponsor be a friend that lives outside of the household?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

They don't check the Petitioner's records. Only beneficiary has to submit criminal history check.

Co-sponsor does NOT have to live in the same household.

Married: 2012-02-01

.:USCIS:.

11/16/2012 - I-130 Petition sent

11/20/2012 - Applied for PCC (Police Cert)

12/04/2012 - Received email NOA1

12/05/2012 - Faxed request to expedite to USCIS

12/19/2012 - Received I-797C NOA1 (notice date Dec 03, 2012)

12/26/2012 - Received PCC

12/28/2012 - Received email that approved case sent to Dept of State or NVC for visa processing

01/08/2013 - Received NOA2 (notice date Dec 19,2012) 16 Days from NOA1

.:NVC:.

01/08/2013 - Case arrived at NVC

01/09/2013 - Emailed NVC requesting expedited processing

01/12/2013 - Case # and IIN assigned

01/13/2013 - E-mailed DS-3032

01/13/2013 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID BILL

01/15/2013 - AOS bill appears as PAID

01/15/2013 - Expedite request approved. Case forwarded to KL Embassy

01/15/2013 - Sent to Embassy

.:Kuala Lumpur Embassy:.

01/23/2013: Embassy received

01/25/2013: Embassy mailed IV Packet 3. Completed and returned

01/25/2013: Emailed Embassy requesting expedited processing

02/06/2013: Medical

02/19/2013: Interview 78 days from I-130 NOA1 APPROVED

02/21/2013: Visa

02/25/2013: Chicago POE

---

Immigration policies... Blah!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Will having a domestic violence misdemeanor 1 knowingly caused or attempted to cause bodily harm on my record with marijuana paraphernalia charge be grounds for denial of 129f petition. Both records are over 3 years old. My fiance the beneficiary has no record.

Who can be a co sponsor? I read somewhere that the co sponsor had to be living in the same household as primary sponsor. Can the co sponsor be a friend that lives outside of the household?

K-1 petitioners have to reveal certain convictions to USCIS, including domestic violence. I don't know of the impact this has on the K-1 process. Maybe move this thread to the IMBRA sub-forum, or ask your question there?

From Wikipedia: "IMBRA requires U.S. citizens petitioning to sponsor K visas to disclose convictions for a list of violent crimes on the “I-129F” petition form that they file with DHS, including convictions for domestic violence and assault & battery, as well as convictions for elder abuse, child abuse or neglect, and stalking; and multiple (three or more) convictions for offenses related to alcohol/controlled substances. DHS must provide to DOS a copy of the petitioner’s I-129F petition form, together with any criminal background information (including information on protection orders) that DHS has gathered on the petitioner under existing authority...."

There is no requirement for the cosponser to live in the same household as the petitioner.

Edited by Haribo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Case Progress subforum to main Process forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

K-1 petitioners have to reveal certain convictions to USCIS, including domestic violence. I don't know of the impact this has on the K-1 process. Maybe move this thread to the IMBRA sub-forum, or ask your question there?

From Wikipedia: "IMBRA requires U.S. citizens petitioning to sponsor K visas to disclose convictions for a list of violent crimes on the “I-129F” petition form that they file with DHS, including convictions for domestic violence and assault & battery, as well as convictions for elder abuse, child abuse or neglect, and stalking; and multiple (three or more) convictions for offenses related to alcohol/controlled substances. DHS must provide to DOS a copy of the petitioner’s I-129F petition form, together with any criminal background information (including information on protection orders) that DHS has gathered on the petitioner under existing authority...."

There is no requirement for the cosponser to live in the same household as the petitioner.

Thanks guys for the help, maybe I will post in IMBRA sub-forum.. how do I post there? Lol I'm a newbee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys for the help, maybe I will post in IMBRA sub-forum.. how do I post there? Lol I'm a newbee

The IMBRA forum is here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/126-imbra-special-topics/

I notice one of the topics on the first page is about a domestic violence conviction, so reading some of the responses to that may shed light on your case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.