hannahlynn

Nervous about I-134. Help needed!

12 posts in this topic

My fiance and I are coming up on (hopefully) our NOA2 approval date in early April, so we're trying to get together all the forms and things needed for after. However, my biggest worry is the I-134. I live with my mom who works full time and makes $27,000 annually. I'm currently in the process of finding a job but don't expect to find one in time for the affidavit. I'm anxious about filling out my I-134 because I don't have anything to put on it and I know that will reflect badly on me. My fiance and I are extremely concerned that we won't be approved even if I use my mom as a co-sponsor because of my lack of employment. Is it very likely we will be denied because of this?

Other than that, I also need to know exactly how to fill out the forms for myself and my co-sponsor, specifically what documents need to be included with the I-134?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hannahlynn

Engaged: 08/31/2011
I-129F Petition Sent: 09/21/2012
NOA1: 09/27/2012
NOA2: 03/11/2013
~165 days~

Interview: 06/18/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It all depends on which consulate your finance will have his K-1 interview at. Some accept co-sponsors and some do not. Find out of yours does.

If it does, you need to fill out the I-134 and put 0 for your income and that you are unemployed. Your mother needs to earn enough for her own household size(herself, spouse, minor dependent children and anyone else she claimed on her taxes) plus your fiance. She will fill out her own separate I-134 and provide her most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and most recent pay stubs. She will also need to provide proof of being a USC or LPR.

Poverty guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Keep in mind those numbers could go up a little bit because the 2013 poverty guidelines will most likely be out by the time your fiance has his interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

First step: find out if the embassy your fiancé will go through usually accept co-sponsors for K1

Second step: if it does, you should probably still find a job. It is not true that just having a co-sponsor is enough to get approved. If you have no income, they may refuse to look at your co-sponsor (even if they usually accept co-sponsors. I have been posting this so many times, but it is quite a good exemple of the worst case senario: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/402790-k1-visa-denied-public-charge-pretty-outraged/) So you should probably find a job, even if it doesn't pay much, and add your mother as a co-sponsor.

I think (but this is just my opinion) that a co-sponsor is supposed to really be a co-sponsor, i.e. a little help to the principal sponsor (i.e. the USC fiancé) so people can still get married if they are a bit under the poverty guidelines. But that a co-sponsor, theorically, shouldn't be the main 'income' of the to-be married couple, it should just be a complement. At least, i think that is the idea behind co-sponsors... So I think this is very risky not to have a job at all before the interview.

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

It all depends on which consulate your finance will have his K-1 interview at. Some accept co-sponsors and some do not. Find out of yours does.

If it does, you need to fill out the I-134 and put 0 for your income and that you are unemployed. Your mother needs to earn enough for her own household size(herself, spouse, minor dependent children and anyone else she claimed on her taxes) plus your fiance. She will fill out her own separate I-134 and provide her most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and most recent pay stubs. She will also need to provide proof of being a USC or LPR.

Poverty guidelines: ...

Keep in mind those numbers could go up a little bit because the 2013 poverty guidelines will most likely be out by the time your fiance has his interview.

He will be going to the London embassy, which I believe generally accepts co-sponsorship. Our household is just my mother and I, no other siblings or spouses. My fiance is also planning on having about $8,000 to bring with him when he moves here. I just don't want the interviewer to think I'm not planning on working; I've been looking for work since September but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately.

~165 days~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

He will be going to the London embassy, which I believe generally accepts co-sponsorship. Our household is just my mother and I, no other siblings or spouses. My fiance is also planning on having about $8,000 to bring with him when he moves here. I just don't want the interviewer to think I'm not planning on working; I've been looking for work since September but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately.

Don't assume anything in this process. You should go in the UK regional forum and check specifics about co-sponsors. They probably accept them, check the conditions, look for specifics, cases similar to yours. Maybe you'll be perfectly fine. But make serious research.

Keep in mind that if you bring cash in the balance, they kind of expect it to support your familly for 5 years... so if it is 8000/5 it is not that much...:s sorry.

I know the job market is bad... but can't you find something in case you find out you need to?(even something not very good, that is not what you want to do and would normally look for, but that would help you? You wouldn't have to keep that job forever, just till the interview). (sry, I know your in a difficult situation and my advice is probably bugging you. But I am very far from judging... I have not been working for a while, with full intent of working... I know how frustrating it is)

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Timeline

London accepts them.. London even accepts self-sponsorship. For London you won't even need to fill out your own I-134, only your co-sponsor, your mother, will need to do the form and provide her financial documentation. See this thread in the UK regional forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

London accepts them.. London even accepts self-sponsorship. For London you won't even need to fill out your own I-134, only your co-sponsor, your mother, will need to do the form and provide her financial documentation. See this thread in the UK regional forum: [...]

Thank you! That info and the link are very helpful. This makes me feel a little bit better about the situation. So would just tax transcripts and proof of citizenship be enough for her, or would it be better to provide as much evidence as we can (letter of employment, etc)?

Also, this may be a silly question but for I-134 in question 3- Relationship to sponsor -what would my mother put down for that?

~165 days~

Hello Hannah, I am in the same situation. My fiance (USC) is unemployed and has been for a number of years due to anxiety, but fully intends to work to build us a future when I arrive, as do I. I work full time now. His mum will be doing an I-134, I will be using my own savings which will be about £3000-£4000, and his mum gets social security amounting to $21,000 a year plus $5000 savings; and he will be doing one, using $5000 savings. I will also be going through the London Embassy.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Hello Hannah, I am in the same situation. My fiance (USC) is unemployed and has been for a number of years due to anxiety, but fully intends to work to build us a future when I arrive, as do I. I work full time now. His mum will be doing an I-134, I will be using my own savings which will be about £3000-£4000, and his mum gets social security amounting to $21,000 a year plus $5000 savings; and he will be doing one, using $5000 savings. I will also be going through the London Embassy.

It's nice to know there's other people who are in the same situation as us. It's actually really reassuring. I'm definitely still looking for work so that we can have a good future together. In the meantime (if I don't find something before the interview), I'm hoping between my mom's affidavit and my fiance's savings we'll be okay. I'm sure it'll go well for us, and for you and your fiance too

~165 days~

Actually a typo in my last post, his mom has around $70000 savings and he has $5000, plus whatever I can save. But yes, same situation. London is supposed to be quite accomodating compared to some other embassies. :)

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Timeline

Thank you! That info and the link are very helpful. This makes me feel a little bit better about the situation. So would just tax transcripts and proof of citizenship be enough for her, or would it be better to provide as much evidence as we can (letter of employment, etc)?

Also, this may be a silly question but for I-134 in question 3- Relationship to sponsor -what would my mother put down for that?

Provide proof of her current annual income with a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs as well as well.

Your mother can put 'daughter's fiance' for that question.

• 2 months later...

Update: I have a job now, but I'm still using my mother as my co-sponsor as it is only a part-time job. We're currently filling out our I-134s but I have a few things I'm not clear on, and all the sample forms I've seen have been mostly useless.

-For Part 7, at "I own real estate valued at: x" and then "With mortgage(s) or other encumbrance(s) theron amounting to..." what would you put? Are they asking for how much the house was bought at, or how much do you still owe on the mortgage?

-For the Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor part at the very end, there's a spot to fill out next to the bit about acknowledging the "Sponsor and Alien Liability". Are you meant to just type your name there, or type yes or something?

-Lastly, for Part 11 about intent to support the immigrant, what would be a good, short way to describe it? I still live at home so my fiance will be living here as well, and I don't know how long we'll be here for, as we have other things we'd like to do first without worrying about moving out (going to college and having jobs, etc) so I'm not sure on the "exact duration" part. My fiance has savings to live on til he can get a job, and I'll be able to support him now too, and my mother would be the last option if need be.

Thanks in advance!

~165 days~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.