Chiang_Mai2012

Fiance doesn't have a birth cert. Thailand/K-1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancé doesn't have her birth Cert. Her parents lost it in a fire and we called the hospital she was born at and they said they don't keep the records going back that far. She was born 1979. She has her ID's, Passport up to date, her college diploma, college transcripts and other documents to show she is who she is. She is from Chiang Mai thailand was born Jomthong Hospital Chiang Mia.. I called the consulate in BKK they are pretty much useless so i emailed them same thing useless information. Does anyone here know if its ok without a birth cert. for her to be approved for K-1 visa. I am asking this question for anyone else that has had this issue in thailand. And also can she do her police clearance before the NOA2 arrives and can she do it in Chiang Mia or does she have to go to BKK and wait for the NOA2.

Any info would be appreciated.

:help::)

Edited by Chiang_Mai2012

Filed: Timeline

For Thailand:

The Dept of States policy is as follows-

Birth certificates are available, so they will want to see it. Youre saying she had one, so her birth was registered. She needs to obtain a copy. Bangkok is divided into 36 districts. Marriage, birth and adoption certificates must be requested from the district office that recorded the original certificate.

If for some reason she goes there and they tell her her birth was not registered (which seems unlikely because you say she had one and it was lost in a fire) she needs something from them stating they have no record and- she can present in its stead a household registration, together with a Thai national identity card ("bat prachachon"), and may also be required to submit additional proof of the claimed relationship.

But she needs to go to her district office and get a copy.

Since you are K1 what you will need to is go to the amphur where you were born and bring 2 realatives with you and you should be able to get the document you need. Good luck.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

So, amphur stands for Muang Chiang Mai District Office government... When I talk to her later i will have her call and ask questions on how to get some type of document showing she was born in chiang mia...Hate paperwork lol :blush:

Timeline

Thank you for the education now getting that document hope its painless :thumbs: i read the other posts and it seems to be very common thing in thailand,,, being born without documentation or places burning down or offices moving :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancé doesn't have her birth Cert. Her parents lost it in a fire and we called the hospital she was born at and they said they don't keep the records going back that far. She was born 1979. She has her ID's, Passport up to date, her college diploma, college transcripts and other documents to show she is who she is. She is from Chiang Mai thailand was born Jomthong Hospital Chiang Mia.. I called the consulate in BKK they are pretty much useless so i emailed them same thing useless information. Does anyone here know if its ok without a birth cert. for her to be approved for K-1 visa. I am asking this question for anyone else that has had this issue in thailand. And also can she do her police clearance before the NOA2 arrives and can she do it in Chiang Mia or does she have to go to BKK and wait for the NOA2.

Any info would be appreciated.

:help::)

Since you are K-1, you need to get this resolved while she is still in Thailand. The U.S. Dept. of State, and USCIS seem to have diferent standards when it comes to birth certificates. More than likely, whatever she has now will be fine for the embassy interview (Dept. of State.) and wont be an issue with her getting the visa.

The issue you will have is when she goes to adjust status once in the U.S (USCIS) to get the green card. A few people here have gone through this, and it turned into a major pain to get the document since the person was already in the U.S. My wife had this same issue although she wasn't K-1, I had her deal with it while she was stll in Thailand regardless. You don't want to wait until she gets to the U.S. She'll need to go to the local Amphur, preferably the one the covers where she was born, with her mom or dad. The will give her a document in Thai that basically says she was born here on this date to this mother and father. It'll also say something to the effect that no birth certificate is available. Take that document and get it translated to English.

Like I said, probably wont be an issue to not have it for the interview in Bangkok, but will be an issue when she goes to adjust status once in the U.S.

If you need to see what it looks like, PM me and I'll send you a copy of my wife's document and translation.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.