moemac59

Filing Income tax return

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just want to know what to do. I am currently collecting UIE from Canada. It goes into my Canadian RBC account in Canada and is taxed.

I know that I have to file my income tax return in Canada as I was working there until June of 2012.

I am obviously not working here. I just received approval on my AOS

Question is - My husband has to file jointly for us correct? Does he have to tell his accountant that I am collecting money from UIE in Canada as it is already taxed there?

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just want to know what to do. I am currently collecting UIE from Canada. It goes into my Canadian RBC account in Canada and is taxed.

I know that I have to file my income tax return in Canada as I was working there until June of 2012.

I am obviously not working here. I just received approval on my AOS

Question is - My husband has to file jointly for us correct? Does he have to tell his accountant that I am collecting money from UIE in Canada as it is already taxed there?

You were a Dual Status Alien for 2012. The only way you can file a joint return with your husband is to make the election to treat yourself as a Resident Alien for tax purposes for 2012. If you do that then you are taxed on your worldwide income which includes your Canadian unemployment benefits. You will have to take the foreign income exclusion in order to avoid double taxation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You were a Dual Status Alien for 2012. The only way you can file a joint return with your husband is to make the election to treat yourself as a Resident Alien for tax purposes for 2012. If you do that then you are taxed on your worldwide income which includes your Canadian unemployment benefits. You will have to take the foreign income exclusion in order to avoid double taxation.

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

BTW your husband doesn't not have to file his taxes as "married filing jointly". He can still file as "married filing separately.". There is just greater benefits to one over the other.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.