squirrelisan

USCIS Case Status Data??

10 posts in this topic

Hi All,

In my frustration of waiting for my I-130 application to be approved, thought I would look into doing something a little constructive. I was wondering if anybody has ever asked the government access to their database of cases, for purposes of publishing real-time status updates to cases (on a high-level)? Any web designers, programmers out there know if there is a publicly accessible database, or web service I can build a website from?

Wait, what are you wanting to do?

You personally want to build a website from the data that USCIS has? Why would they grant you access to their "database of cases"?

Wait, what are you wanting to do?

You personally want to build a website from the data that USCIS has? Why would they grant you access to their "database of cases"?

Yes. Because this should be publicly accessible information, as with most anything government related. Same reason I can lookup to see who are the registered owners of my next door neighbor's house....or how many crimes were committed in my neighborhood. If they can publish current processing times, why not the same data in detailed form? I won't be accessing the entire database, just certain pieces of it such as, date of receipt, receipt#, visa type, current status, and service center. I don't see anything wrong with that, do you? It's not like I can violate anybody's privacy using this info.

Of course, if they do grant it (which I doubt they would without a freedom of information petition) how wonderful would that be?

Yes. Because this should be publicly accessible information, as with most anything government related. Same reason I can lookup to see who are the registered owners of my next door neighbor's house....or how many crimes were committed in my neighborhood. If they can publish current processing times, why not the same data in detailed form? I won't be accessing the entire database, just certain pieces of it such as, date of receipt, receipt#, visa type, current status, and service center. I don't see anything wrong with that, do you? It's not like I can violate anybody's privacy using this info.

Of course, if they do grant it (which I doubt they would without a freedom of information petition) how wonderful would that be?

Why would they grant you this? Most of the people who answer the phones for USCIS don't have this information correctly.

Why would they grant you this? Most of the people who answer the phones for USCIS don't have this information correctly.

Um...I don't think we aren't in sync here. Basically it's because it's your right. I don't care what the USCIS employees can or can't see. The U.S. government is supposed be transparent (idealistically). This is why congressmen argue laws that are viewable/attended by the public. Same thing why the public can see any court proceedings. This is why C-SPAN is free to everyone.

I can give you a ton of reasons why they wouldn't want to, but in the end, they are an extension of my will (through my democratically elected reps) and should do exactly as I want (without infringing on anybody else's rights of course). Power to the people!

Just found this quote on the Freedom of Information Act that says it a lot more eloquently. Of course it's on a website for the EPA. Hippies....lol.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/foia/foia.htm

The basic purpose of FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry and to hold the governors accountable to the governed, both of which are vital to the function of a democratic society. Achieving an informed citizenry is a goal often counterpoised against other vital societal aims. Though tensions among these competing interests are characteristic of a democratic society, their resolution lies in providing a workable formula that encompasses, balances, and appropriately protects all interests, while placing emphasis on the most responsible public disclosure possible. It is this task of accommodating countervailing concerns, with disclosure as the predominant objective, that the FOIA seeks to accomplish.

Um...I don't think we aren't in sync here. Basically it's because it's your right. I don't care what the USCIS employees can or can't see. The U.S. government is supposed be transparent (idealistically). This is why congressmen argue laws that are viewable/attended by the public. Same thing why the public can see any court proceedings. This is why C-SPAN is free to everyone.

I can give you a ton of reasons why they wouldn't want to, but in the end, they are an extension of my will (through my democratically elected reps) and should do exactly as I want (without infringing on anybody else's rights of course). Power to the people!

Right, well. Good luck with that.

You can't get that info. It is not your right because it infringes on the privacy of citizens. Also, it is a national security issue because the details of USCIS and DoS are classified.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

While you're at it see if you can get access to the CIA's database too! :lol:

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Timeline
I was wondering if anybody has ever asked the government access to their database of cases, for purposes of publishing real-time status updates to cases (on a high-level)?

Well, yes. The US government has actually thought of that and they make that available to the public via their web site - at a high level.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

If you want to know the status your application, that's available online, too.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard.do

Anybody else's case status is none of your business. And in the interest of anybody else's privacy rights, they will keep that shielded from your view.

Good Day!

Edited by Mr. Big Dog