Mmelon

Just beginning the K-1 process

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new here on the forum. I studied abroad in Costa Rica last year for four months and met a guy. We started dating soon after, and I went back to visit for 6 weeks just recently and we decided we want to get married! I just graduated from college with a bachelors degree and lots of student loans to pay off and am still without a job. My fiance is a Costa Rican citizen and does not have an education and does not speak any English. Although I would love to go to Costa Rica and get married and live there, my student loans make it kind of impossible right now. So I want to bring him here to the US, and I am thinking the K-1 visa is the quickest way to do it. I think that I can handle beginning the process, but I am not sure at all how to manage the interview and documents for my finace while I am here and he is in Costa Rica. He is from a very rural area and has no knowledge of any of the legal processes and cannot write very well. Also the mail system in Costa Rica is very unreliable (especially in rural areas) so sending documents takes forever and may or may not get there. I am looking for some people who may know the process well to help walk me through the steps and give me any advice! I am really excited to marry my guy, but super stressed about this visa process! Thanks for any and all help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

U need to have a co dlonsor since both of u doesnt have income. In terms if address, i know embassies uses DHL or fedex no worries about that...

U need to have a co dlonsor since both of u doesnt have income. In terms if address, i know embassies uses DHL or fedex no worries about that...

I would be very surprised if FedEx or DHL could access the place my fiance lives. Addresses there are really confusing such as "The house 50 meters east of the school and 300 meters west of the fruitstand with the red roof."

As for the job part...I plan on having an income very soon. I don't know how far along in the process I have to prove that I can support him, but I thought I had a few months after sending in the original K-1 petition. Also, I do they offer forms in other languages? Because he doesn't speak any English at all and barely can write. I have no idea how the interview part is going to work out for him. And like an idiot, I didn't keep boarding passes or travel info. We have quite a few photos together, and I have a few receipts from when I bought things in Costa Rica and a transcript from when I withdrew money from an ATM there. Any suggestions of anything else I could use to prove an ongoing relationship would be great. We really just communicate on the phone when we are apart because he doesn't have a computer and as I mentioned before, letters aren't very reliable there, so we don't have that. Gahhh! I feel like I have done everything wrong. I just never actually expected to fall in love with a Costa Rican and that I would be a part of this process, so now I am kicking myself for making it more difficult.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

U need to seek legal advise i guess.. Try this website. Www.rapidvisa.com am using this site to help me answer all questions i might have on my petition.

Yes, mail can go to address like "past the big tree." He has to apply for the visa himself, so all the stuff n his country has to be done by him. If he cannot perform any tasks with reading or writing then you are going to have a tough time. Your fiance cannot write at all? Do you have plans to educate him when he gets to the US? It sounds very stressful to pay for another person when he won't be able to get his own job or otherwise contribute to the household.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

There are a few things he will have to send you with original signatures--the g-325a form and his Intention to Marry you statement. He will also have to send you recent passport style pictures of himself for your petition. I would suggest that he find an Internet cafe, so you could help fill out the g-325a form, email it, then have him print it off and sign it. However, that sounds very difficult for your situation. Somehow, he'll have to either have access to a computer, regular mail, and/or you in person. If you mail him things, is there a post office nearby where he could set up a way to pick up his mail there instead of having it delivered to his house? Also, could he dictate his Intention to Marry statement to someone who could type it for him, and he sign it? (he might have to write on forms that they were prepared by someone other than himself)

Last year, after visiting my fiance, we decided the K-1 route was the way to go. I wished I had found a cafe before I left Egypt, so he could sign the papers we needed for the application. Instead, he completed and mailed them (5 day mail) to me, and I received them a month later. I understand the unreliability of other country's mail systems because I've sent him about 10 cards, and he's received none. That is very frustrating for sure!

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

There are a few things he will have to send you with original signatures--the g-325a form and his Intention to Marry you statement. He will also have to send you recent passport style pictures of himself for your petition. I would suggest that he find an Internet cafe, so you could help fill out the g-325a form, email it, then have him print it off and sign it. However, that sounds very difficult for your situation. Somehow, he'll have to either have access to a computer, regular mail, and/or you in person. If you mail him things, is there a post office nearby where he could set up a way to pick up his mail there instead of having it delivered to his house? Also, could he dictate his Intention to Marry statement to someone who could type it for him, and he sign it? (he might have to write on forms that they were prepared by someone other than himself)

Last year, after visiting my fiance, we decided the K-1 route was the way to go. I wished I had found a cafe before I left Egypt, so he could sign the papers we needed for the application. Instead, he completed and mailed them (5 day mail) to me, and I received them a month later. I understand the unreliability of other country's mail systems because I've sent him about 10 cards, and he's received none. That is very frustrating for sure!

So what exactly do I need from him before I can file the petition? Just the g-325a form and his intention to marry and passport pictures? He has probably never touched a computer before in his life...the little internet experience he has is on his cell phone. I'm sure we can find someone to help him fill out the forms and such but mailing things is going to be an issue. =(

Yes, mail can go to address like "past the big tree." He has to apply for the visa himself, so all the stuff n his country has to be done by him. If he cannot perform any tasks with reading or writing then you are going to have a tough time. Your fiance cannot write at all? Do you have plans to educate him when he gets to the US? It sounds very stressful to pay for another person when he won't be able to get his own job or otherwise contribute to the household.

My fiancé had to leave school when he was 11 to help out on the family farm. He comes from a home situation where he has been helping financially support his mother and many siblings since he was old enough to work. So he can read ok, but probably hasn't written anything in years or had a need to. I live in the Miami area though, where there are a lot of Spanish speakers and more opportunities for him to work as well as learn English.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My linkYou might have seen this already, but it is the link to the K-1 Guide on this site.

The items which my fiance (also known as beneficiary) had to send me for my petition were: the g-325a, Intent to Marry, passport photo, and Divorce Decree with English translation.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Oh Boy... You sound a lot like me. Went to another country to study, found someone, now what? Well, to get some basic information, you should read the guides for the K-1 visa. Someone can walk you through it but really reading it yourself will ensure that you don't miss anything. It is not a quick or easy process. When you have little money, it makes it harder. To have to wait extra time to file papers because you don't have the money at that moment is not fun. So, having a good idea about the money you will need for each step is good to have so that you can plan financially. Think about other things too - things that you don't want to think about necessarily. You are from different cultures - don't underestimate it. You are from different socio-economic levels - don't brush it under the rug. I don't want to be negative, but it doesn't seem like you've been together much time. I did something similar and it has been really rough here with him. Doing the K-1 visa and being forced to get married right away before moving in and living together is iffy. Just saying, think about it a lot and maybe spend some time getting to know each other even more.

Oh Boy... You sound a lot like me. Went to another country to study, found someone, now what? Well, to get some basic information, you should read the guides for the K-1 visa. Someone can walk you through it but really reading it yourself will ensure that you don't miss anything. It is not a quick or easy process. When you have little money, it makes it harder. To have to wait extra time to file papers because you don't have the money at that moment is not fun. So, having a good idea about the money you will need for each step is good to have so that you can plan financially. Think about other things too - things that you don't want to think about necessarily. You are from different cultures - don't underestimate it. You are from different socio-economic levels - don't brush it under the rug. I don't want to be negative, but it doesn't seem like you've been together much time. I did something similar and it has been really rough here with him. Doing the K-1 visa and being forced to get married right away before moving in and living together is iffy. Just saying, think about it a lot and maybe spend some time getting to know each other even more.

My dilemma right now is that I want to start the K-1 process as soon as possible so that we're not waiting years to get my fiancé here, but I currently still don't have a job. I don't think that matters as far as the I-129F goes, but it definitely does for the next step. I have been applying all over the place and I have a degree so I am really hoping to be employed in the next month. I guess my question is, once you start the process, is it okay if you have to wait months before going on to the next step? For example, say NOA2 is accepted. Can I wait months in-between that and then compiling the info for my fiancé for the interview? Because I can't really continue until I can sign the affidavit of support (unless I can find a sponser). Do they drop your case if you aren't quick about it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I would be very surprised if FedEx or DHL could access the place my fiance lives. Addresses there are really confusing such as "The house 50 meters east of the school and 300 meters west of the fruitstand with the red roof."

MarryEllen, my fiancé is from Costa Rica. We just startedthe K-1 Visa processes...so there is not a lot I can help you right now....BUTat least from what my fiancé told me and I have seen in my many trips to CostaRica, is that DHL is huuge on this country. It will get there.

I understand your frustration with Costa Rican addresses...butat least they understand them. lol so have faith! ...When you get to do theforms you'll see that the addresses they don't fit in spaces provided, but youcan attach pages regarding specific items on the forms. It's the only way...itseems like they are very happy with their crazy addresses

Edited by RicaRico

Hi Maryellen,

I skimmed over some of the advice that was written here and I recently brought my then fiance over from Costa Rica as well. I would be happy to help if you are still having any questions. You will need to get a sponsor as was stated previously, but that can changed later on if you get a job in which you make enough to sponsor him before the final interview and AOS. As for applying for the K1 visa, it will take a number of months for them to accept it and mail you the NOA2 so you will have plenty of time to go and find a job or more than one, plan on that part taking at the least around 4 months.

The mail system in that country does work, although by our standards it leaves much to be desired. I am not sure where your fiance is located in Costa Rica but I do know that DHL and Fed Ex are quite big in the country and many times they can at least drop a package off at a local town if your fiance is as rural as you say he is.

I would suggest reading everything you can get your hands on and figuring out exactly what forms you need for him (birth certificate, single certificate, police records, and whatever else) and then either going down and taking him to San Jose, Liberia to get all the papers in order, or to whatever town is nearby that is large enough to house the offices that handle these sorts of requests. He should know enough of how to find the local office that provides the transcripts for that sort of paperwork. Also, I included a letter from my fiance's parents and my own attesting to our relationship being valid and accepting us as a couple and into each others' families. If you are getting paperwork from him I would ask him to have one of those at the same time. It is known as front loading and basically you are providing the USCIS with anything they might possibly have questions about before they question it.

Good luck!

K1 Visa AOS ROC
04-26-2012 - I-129F Sent 11-19-12 - AOS packet sent in 12-29-2014 - I-751 Sent
05-03-2012 - I-129F NOA1 12-07-12 - NOA for all 3 packets received via email 12-31-2014 - I-751 NOA 1
08-02-2012 - I-129F NOA2 01-03-13 - Bio Appt 03-04-2015 - Biometrics
08-06-2012 - NVC Received 02-20-13 - Interview and Approval 05-26-2015 - Approved
08-10-2012 - Left NVC 03-02-13 Greencard received
08-17-2012 - Consulate Received
09-06-2012 - Packet 3 Received
09-27-2012 - Interview Date APPROVED!!!!!
10-04-2012 - Visa Received
10-05-2012 - US Entry
10-29-2012 - Marriage

-Don't ever let fear hold you back.-

Hi Maryellen,

I skimmed over some of the advice that was written here and I recently brought my then fiance over from Costa Rica as well. I would be happy to help if you are still having any questions. You will need to get a sponsor as was stated previously, but that can changed later on if you get a job in which you make enough to sponsor him before the final interview and AOS. As for applying for the K1 visa, it will take a number of months for them to accept it and mail you the NOA2 so you will have plenty of time to go and find a job or more than one, plan on that part taking at the least around 4 months.

The mail system in that country does work, although by our standards it leaves much to be desired. I am not sure where your fiance is located in Costa Rica but I do know that DHL and Fed Ex are quite big in the country and many times they can at least drop a package off at a local town if your fiance is as rural as you say he is.

I would suggest reading everything you can get your hands on and figuring out exactly what forms you need for him (birth certificate, single certificate, police records, and whatever else) and then either going down and taking him to San Jose, Liberia to get all the papers in order, or to whatever town is nearby that is large enough to house the offices that handle these sorts of requests. He should know enough of how to find the local office that provides the transcripts for that sort of paperwork. Also, I included a letter from my fiance's parents and my own attesting to our relationship being valid and accepting us as a couple and into each others' families. If you are getting paperwork from him I would ask him to have one of those at the same time. It is known as front loading and basically you are providing the USCIS with anything they might possibly have questions about before they question it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post! It is really helpful to talk to folks who have actually done this successfully as it can be very overwhelming and often discouraging to think about. Provided he gets all the paperwork he needs there, I know all of it needs to be translated into English for the interview. Does that have to be done by an official translator, or would I be allowed to do it? And what does that look like? Do you show the original document and write the translation below or on a separate page or something?

Thanks for your post! It is really helpful to talk to folks who have actually done this successfully as it can be very overwhelming and often discouraging to think about. Provided he gets all the paperwork he needs there, I know all of it needs to be translated into English for the interview. Does that have to be done by an official translator, or would I be allowed to do it? And what does that look like? Do you show the original document and write the translation below or on a separate page or something?

Yes, you can do the translations yourself for this step in the process. I suggest making a copy of the original document and printing the translation on the back of the copy with this at the bottom of the page:

Certification by Translator

I, (insert name of translator), certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and Spanish languages, and that the above document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled Certificacion de Antecedents Penales.

Signature ___________________________________________ Date: xx/xx/xxxx

I would suggest following what they say here on visajourney about making two copies of everything and having a complete copy of the packet that you submit just in case they lose anything and so that your fiance can review everything and see what has gone into the packet as well.

K1 Visa AOS ROC
04-26-2012 - I-129F Sent 11-19-12 - AOS packet sent in 12-29-2014 - I-751 Sent
05-03-2012 - I-129F NOA1 12-07-12 - NOA for all 3 packets received via email 12-31-2014 - I-751 NOA 1
08-02-2012 - I-129F NOA2 01-03-13 - Bio Appt 03-04-2015 - Biometrics
08-06-2012 - NVC Received 02-20-13 - Interview and Approval 05-26-2015 - Approved
08-10-2012 - Left NVC 03-02-13 Greencard received
08-17-2012 - Consulate Received
09-06-2012 - Packet 3 Received
09-27-2012 - Interview Date APPROVED!!!!!
10-04-2012 - Visa Received
10-05-2012 - US Entry
10-29-2012 - Marriage

-Don't ever let fear hold you back.-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.