steel_4d

Married my gf on F1 before my green card was approved. What do we need to file for her green card?

18 posts in this topic

I've been in AOS for years, from H1B, with priority date of Jan 2007.

Married my gf in November 2012. She's been on F1 since June 2011, currently in OPT, with about a year of OPT left.

My I-485 was approved a couple of weeks ago, and I got my green card.

She wasn't added to my case before it was approved.

What's the procedure to apply for her green card? Do we just go ahead with I-485, and I-131 for AP so she can travel? Do we file her I-485 as a derivative beneficiary?

We intend to take a trip outside the country in May. Is it safer to not send in the I-485 till after the trip, in case the AP doesn't arrive in time, so she can still travel on the F1?

The more details and links you can provide, the better. We're not really experts in immigration matters.

Thanks!

The process isn't as easy for her as it is for a foreign spouse of a US citizen. Because you are not a citizen, but "only" a greencard holder, there isn't an immediately available visa number for her in the same way there is for a spouse of a citizen.

You can file the I-130 for her, but filing the I-130 does not give her legal status in the US. This means that she can be here waiting for the I-130 processing for as long as she has a legal status, so in this situation until her OPT expires. After that, she will have to return to her home country to wait out the process there. She might be able to visit the US under a tourist status while the I-130 is pending.

Spouses of permanent residents are in the second preference A category (F2A). It seems that according to the last bulletin, In January 2013 in the F2A category, applicants whose priority date was 22 September 2010 or earlier - so the wait time for a foreign spouse of a permanent resident to get a greencard right now seems to be around 2 years and 3 months, but my understanding is that it usually hovers around 2.5-3 years from filing the I-130.

(Latest visa bulletin)

Greencard for a family member of a permanent resident (USCIS)

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

If she wasn't added to your case when it was started, there is nothing you can do now that your cases is approved. As the previous poster said, As a GC holder filing for a spouse, you will have to file I-130 first then wait until her priority date is current to get a visa number. Check the Visa bulletin board to see estimated wait time....

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

I'm not convinced this is the case... I could be wrong but I think it may be possible for her to get "follow to join" derivative status since you were married before the AoS is approved. Do more research / consult an immigration attorney.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Filed: Timeline

I'm not convinced this is the case... I could be wrong but I think it may be possible for her to get "follow to join" derivative status since you were married before the AoS is approved. Do more research / consult an immigration attorney.

I agree. She may have to leave the US to get an immigrant visa, but I believe that follow-to-join benefits apply.

I'm quite sure she falls into the "follow to join"/derivative category, the same as if she was added to my file before it was approved. I don't think she needs to leave, I'm pretty sure she can adjust from F1. Isn't that what this forum is about?

From what I read, only J1 doesn't allow derivative status.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

'adjusting from an F1', to holding a green card,

requires a marriage with a USCitizen.

Anything else requires a visa and a trip to 'home'.

for her to 'ride with you', adjusting from an H1-B to a green card holder,

well, she'd have to be on your original AOS paperwork, and she wasn't.

She'd have had to be part of yer H1-B, also...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I'm quite sure she falls into the "follow to join"/derivative category, the same as if she was added to my file before it was approved. I don't think she needs to leave, I'm pretty sure she can adjust from F1. Isn't that what this forum is about?

From what I read, only J1 doesn't allow derivative status.

You need to get in touch with someone that can help; this forum is not going to provide what you need.

You need to get in touch with someone that can help; this forum is not going to provide what you need.

Interesting answer. You know for a fact that no one has ever been in my situation before? Or somehow they're excluded from this forum? :) I'm looking for people with similar experiences.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

advanced search tool ? best utilized on a pc. Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Interesting answer. You know for a fact that no one has ever been in my situation before? Or somehow they're excluded from this forum?

That's not what I said.

If the responses to your thread are already at completely opposite ends of the spectrum (which they are), you should know that you're not in the right place.

This is not a routine problem, and if you and your wife's future is important to you, you'd be prudent to seek expert help.

Asking at both http://immigrate2us.net and http://www.avvo.com will probably yield a trustworthy answer.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

This is the category under which she falls:

"• Adjustment based on being the derivative spouse or child of a principal applicant:

If you are currently in the U.S. you may file your Form I-485 simultaneously with the principal applicant or you may file at any time after the principal applicant has been approved, if a visa number is available."

The only part I don't understand is "if a visa number is available". Can someone clarify what that means?

These are the exceptions, which she doesn't fall into:

"The following individuals / class of people are not eligible for Adjustment of Status: (Note: Exceptions may apply if you are eligible to adjust status pursuant to Section 245(i) of the Immigration & Nationality Act. For more information on Section 245(i) see the relevant portions of this website).

You entered the U.S. in transit without a visa;

You entered the U.S. as a non-immigrant crewman;

You were not admitted or paroled after being inspected by an immigration officer;

Your period of authorized stay expired before you filed for adjustment, unless you qualify as an immediate relative;

You were illegally employed in the U.S. because you did not obtain USCIS authorization to work before filing for adjustment, unless you qualify as an immediate relative;

You were admitted into the U.S. as a K-1 fiancé(e) or the K-2 child of a fiancé(e) but you or your parent did not marry the U.S. citizen petitioning for you;

You are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor but you did not comply with the 2 year foreign residence requirement and you have not been granted a waiver for this requirement;

You are an A non-immigrant or you are employed in a position that would allow you to obtain this status unless you file a Form I-508 and an I-566;

You are an E non-immigrant or you are employed in a position that would allow you to obtain this status unless you file a Form I-508;

You are a G non-immigrant or you are employed in a position that would allow you to obtain this status unless you file a Form I-508 and an I-566;

You were admitted into Guam as a visitor under the Guam visa waiver program;

You were admitted into the United States as a visitor under the Visa Waiver Program unless you are applying for adjustment based on immediate relative status to a U.S. citizen;

You are already a conditional permanent resident

You failed to maintain your non-immigrant status (unless the failure was due to no fault of your own, you are the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you are a K-1 (K-2) who married the U.S. petitioner within the 90 day period, or you are a special immigrant)."

This is the category under which she falls:

"• Adjustment based on being the derivative spouse or child of a principal applicant:

If you are currently in the U.S. you may file your Form I-485 simultaneously with the principal applicant or you may file at any time after the principal applicant has been approved, if a visa number is available."

The only part I don't understand is "if a visa number is available". Can someone clarify what that means?

I think this article explains the "if a visa number is available": http://www.ilw.com/articles/2012,0213-Snellman.shtm

The uncertainty I have is whether your wife is automatically considered a derivative spouse simply because she was married to you before you adjusted status, or whether something had to be filed (or still has to be filed) to register that derivative status.

Edited by hmh33

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.