I AM NOT THAT GUY

The comment on political cartoons and graphics thread.

175 posts in this topic

It is true that firearms are a force multiplier. But the force comes from somewhere outside the firearm.

Well no sh*t. Who here thinks guns ALL BY THEMSELVES kill people? Nobody. Not a single person. And yet it's still something that the pro-gun crowd says.

Charles does. That's why he gave his guns a talkin' to today.

I swear, if I hear/read "guns don't kill people, people kill people" one more damn time... :lol:

It doesn't even make sense.

We all know guns don't go out and murder people. Crazy people do. Guns just let them murder MORE people and FASTER!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Well no sh*t. Who here thinks guns ALL BY THEMSELVES kill people? Nobody. Not a single person. And yet it's still something that the pro-gun crowd says.

Then people should post accordingly. I often read "guns killed X" or "guns did this". Perhaps, it is wiser to frame the argument better and instead say "guns were used in the killing of X".

If you do, just pose this question: If guns don't kill, then why do we give guns to our military when we send them into combat? Why don't we just send the soldiers?

We should send them with cars, baseball bats and knives. Since those are just as lethal.

Then people should post accordingly. I often read "guns killed X" or "guns did this". Perhaps, it is wiser to frame the argument better and instead say "guns were used in the killing of X".

I don't think I've ever read someone say "guns killed this person" ... but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that it was safe to assume that people know inanimate objects don't go on killing sprees. But perhaps I'm giving too much credit where it isn't due.

Timeline

We should send them with cars, baseball bats and knives. Since those are just as lethal.

I don't think I've ever read someone say "guns killed this person" ... but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that it was safe to assume that people know inanimate objects don't go on killing sprees. But perhaps I'm giving too much credit where it isn't due.

In this thread... "Guns have actually killed more people than anything in the history of this country".

Given we were talking about the government, changing the subject of the sentence as above is a tool of redirecting the argument away from the initial message.

Filed: Timeline

70% of murders are committed with firearms. Over 30K lives are snuffed out annually with firearms. Where there are firearms, there is death and destruction. Which is not surprising since causing death and destruction is the sole purpose for which firearms are made. Happy now?

In this thread... "Guns have actually killed more people than anything in the history of this country".

Okay. And do you honestly believe that what was meant by that was actually "Guns have, all by themselves, gone on a killing spree and killed more people than anything in the history of this country"?

No. Like I said, I assume people would read that and know that it's meant that guns were used in killing more people than anything in the history of this country.

Do we really need to be so specific so that people understand? Am I giving people the benefit of the doubt when they're really just idiots? Maybe.

But nobody believes guns kill people all by themselves. That's just an argument made by the pro-gun crowd because they honestly believe other people think that way. Or they think it's funny. Either way, they're incorrect, but that's beside the point.

Timeline

Okay. And do you honestly believe that what was meant by that was actually "Guns have, all by themselves, gone on a killing spree and killed more people than anything in the history of this country"?

No. Like I said, I assume people would read that and know that it's meant that guns were used in killing more people than anything in the history of this country.

Do we really need to be so specific so that people understand? Am I giving people the benefit of the doubt when they're really just idiots? Maybe.

But nobody believes guns kill people all by themselves. That's just an argument made by the pro-gun crowd because they honestly believe other people think that way. Or they think it's funny. Either way, they're incorrect, but that's beside the point.

As I said, it is a vehicle of redirection. The point of Charles' post was not what was doing the killing but who. Yet we now have pages on the what and the initial message has been lost.

Given we were talking about the government, changing the subject of the sentence as above is a tool of redirecting the argument away from the initial message.

I know it hurts but the obsession with firearms which is the reason that they are all over the place and accessible to anyone and everyone at any time just about anywhere is why we have so many deaths by firearm in this country. So god damn many that over the last 4 decades alone more civilians were killed with firearms on our streets, in our towns and cities than have fallen on all of the battlefields where Americans fought in all of our history. That is sickening.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

As I said, it is a vehicle of redirection. The point of Charles' post was not what was doing the killing but who. Yet we now have pages on the what and the initial message has been lost.

The point of Charles' post was to make a "joke" which argues something that nobody actually believes.

The pro-gun crowd can continue the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument all they'd like and pretend that other people actually believe that guns by themselves kill people but it's obvious that isn't the case.

But hey, it's easier to do that than respond to someone providing a counter-argument to their silly pictures, I guess.

This thread was created specifically for the purpose of commenting on graphics posted in another thread. The graphic clearly has a false message in it. In this country, that which is responsible for the most deaths of this country's citizens are guns. That is a fact. All of our wars over our more than 200 year history COMBINED have not caused as much death among our citizens as firearms have done over just the last four decades. I know that gun nuts don't like to face the facts but they're the facts all the same.

The point of Charles' post was to make a "joke" which argues something that nobody actually believes.

I wouldn't be so sure that nobody actually believes that. I can think of a number of people that I am sure actually believe that falsehood.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It's comments like these that make rational discussion impossible. I understand why the picture thread appeals to you - you get to post pictures, regardless of fact or accuracy, and it's against the "rules" to comment on them. But then when someone does, with a logical argument, this is the response. :lol:

Congrats on being part of the problem.

It's great being a moderator. You can post stuff that supports your narrow minded views and if someone comments on it you can remove the post and say it's not allowed.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler