^_^

Solar Energy: 1% of total land mass could be used to generate 100% of energy needs by 2050

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

1% of total planetary land mass is actually 575,057 square miles. Alaska's landmass is 571,951 square miles.

So as appealing as this finding sounds to the uninformed, what it's really saying is this: someone has to put aside - entirely dedicate - landmass equal to the entire state of Alaska (our largest state) ... to power the world.

Who will do this? Where? The Sahara desert? Siberia? The American West? Which part of this world is underpopulated enough with enough solar energy to actually make this happen? And who will tell the few people living in these areas that they must move so "the world" can have solar energy?

The political ramifications are huge.

A new report released on the sidelines of the World Future Energy Summit here today, shows that even if all electricity is to be generated through renewable energy (RE) sources, and with solar photovoltaics (PV) alone, it would take up only an insignificant amount of total land area, contrary to common perception.

Less than 1% of the total land mass would be required to meet 100% of projected electricity demand in 2050, if generating electricity only with solar PV .

http://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?207268/Solar-PV-power-in-harmony-with-nature--new-WWF-report-says-land-requirements-are-insignificant

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1358456003' post='5927932]

All joking aside, i can't help but see in this report hints of the real reasons the Left wants to disarm America. Unarmed people can't protect their property!

doesn't matter, we never had a chance. still waiting on my mail order nuke.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The issue has never been the land. The panels, cabling, protection devices, inverters, optimization devices, and installation are quite expensive. Further, all of these things take significant amounts of energy.

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1358456585' post='5927954]

i don't think scalia would approve.

wouldn't it be awesome, if as a planet we could get our sh*t together and pull something like this off. but considering we can't pool our resources and put an end to unnecessary tragedy like mass famine, i'm skeptical.

Filed: Timeline

wouldn't it be awesome, if as a planet we could get our sh*t together and pull something like this off. but considering we can't pool our resources and put an end to unnecessary tragedy like mass famine, i'm skeptical.

Ok, who do you nominate to provide 575,000 square miles of land?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The issue has never been the land. The panels, cabling, protection devices, inverters, optimization devices, and installation are quite expensive. Further, all of these things take significant amounts of energy.

Does oil extract and refine itself?

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1358457128' post='5927970]

Ok, who do you nominate to provide 575,000 square miles of land?

I thought you suggested Alaska? Not that many people up there, but I think most have guns. Now if we take those guns away, maybe the wolves and polar bears can take care of the rest. And we wouldn't have to build bridges to nowhere. Oh wait, liberals won't want us taking that land from polar bears and wolves. How about along the border with Mexico? It would have the added plus of cooking anyone trying to cross illegally. We don't really need to power the planet, just the USA. Then a second good long wide strip along the Canadian border.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought you suggested Alaska? Not that many people up there, but I think most have guns. Now if we take those guns away, maybe the wolves and polar bears can take care of the rest. And we wouldn't have to build bridges to nowhere. Oh wait, liberals won't want us taking that land from polar bears and wolves. How about along the border with Mexico? It would have the added plus of cooking anyone trying to cross illegally. We don't really need to power the planet, just the USA. Then a second good long wide strip along the Canadian border.

we could just use liberals for firewood...and illegals. that would free up even more land, and more jobs for real americans.

Alaska's landmass is 571,951 square miles.

I think if the USA relied on Alaska for solar energy in the winter, we'd all be in the dark!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received