YayaYiyi

Worse Case Scenario

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know this sounds bad, but though I am a romantic at heart, I am a realist above and beyond romantic. I honestly love my fiancee from the Phils. We have spoke every day for at least an hour, sometimes for many hours from August up to the current date. I am a person that goes on instincts and my instincts tell me she is genuine to the core. Unfortunately, I am recent grad school grad going into the teaching field. Long story here, but suffice it to say that it scares me to no end not having a job at the time of the Visa interview. With state budgets the way they currently are, it is very possible I could have a job for one school term only to be laid off at the end of the term. Sure, it's not too hard to find another job, but WHAT IF I don't have it when I need it during the interview? When we are talking blocks of a year to process these applications with hundreds of dollars in fees each time, I don't feel secure doing the K-1 since I can't use a co-sponsor. So, our safest route is marrying in the Phils and going this way....

Which is where I am scared to no end....I know I often hear foreigners mock the divorce rate in the US, and yes, I do find it alarming we have such a high rate. BUT, having been in a toxic marriage, I shudder at the thought of being locked into my former marriage because the government said I could not divorce. So after defending my question...here it is....

What is the reality of a worse case scenario..we are married in phils, living in USA, she becomes a citizen....10 years down the road, we can't stand each other...we want to divorce???

Thanks in advance...Dave

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I would focus on getting your divorce completed, finding a job, and building your relationship.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

What is the reality of a worse case scenario..we are married in phils, living in USA, she becomes a citizen....10 years down the road, we can't stand each other...we want to divorce???

Thanks in advance...Dave

none of us can predict the outcome of your relationship. exactly what are you asking?

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Your question(s) is vague, at best. One thing I can tell you attacking members is against TOS

Timeline

I'm scared that if things don't work out between us, that having been married in Phils, I would never be able to get a divorce in the states or it would take 10 years or something absurd. I know most people are caught up in the romantic aspect of this process, but the unfortunate reality is that being 1000's of miles away hinders the ability to know a person 100%. You really never get to know someone until you actually live with them and time changes people. These are just facts. I knew from day one when I began this quest, that I was going to have to take a risk and marry without knowing the person 100%. I've gotten to know my fiancee very well through our daily communication and I see her as a very good person, a person who will make a good mother, etc. etc. If I were to put odds on our relationship working out, I would give it better than 80%. I would never entertain going to the phils and marrying if I did not have this conviction. But, pull the cloud of emotion from the picture, and you have this very relevant question as to what happens in a worse case scenario. What would happen? Sorry sir, but we (phils gov't) don't allow divorces so you're stuck buddy...Perhaps this isn't the place to ask this question. Perhaps I should inquire in legal forums or speak to an attorney because this question is probably not asked by many for a variety of reasons.

Timeline

Your question(s) is vague, at best. One thing I can tell you attacking members is against TOS

you attacked first...so allow me to suggest (as you did) instead of pining opinions to questions you don't understand and being judgmental... you seek clarity so as not to offend through ignorance...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can't get a divorce in the Philippines, but you can get a divorce in the USA. If that is where you will live, then no problem. Continue with your plan.

you can get a divorce in the USA. the 10 years is now long the I-864 will be in effect. even if you divorce after 3 years. you'll still be on the hook for 7 more years, unless she's become a citizen or returns to the Philippines.

Edited by sunandmoon

you can get a divorce in the USA. the 10 years is now long the I-864 will be in effect. even if you divorce after 3 years. you'll still be on the hook for 7 more years, unless she's become a citizen or returns to the Philippines.

If I'm not mistaken.

The green card can be renewed easily extending the period of financial responsibility. The duration may end before the green card expires with naturalization, she returns to the PI or the death of either party

If I'm not mistaken.

The green card can be renewed easily extending the period of financial responsibility. The duration may end before the green card expires with naturalization, she returns to the PI or the death of either party

yap, my mistake. the ten years should have been stated as 40 quarters of work.

You can't get a divorce in the Philippines, but you can get a divorce in the USA. If that is where you will live, then no problem. Continue with your plan.

But you can get an annulment in the PI

yap, my mistake. the ten years should have been stated as 40 quarters of work, by the sponsored immmigrant.

I'm Filipino. We got married in the Philippines. Divorce is not existent in the Philippines. You can annul if you have to. But it costs a lot, according to some friends who had the misfortune of being married to bastards.

I think you may have this assumption that going the CR-1 visa route does not require you to have as much money as a sponsor in a K-1 visa route. That assumption is wrong.

Either route, you have to prove you can support your fiancee/wife.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

yap, my mistake. the ten years should have been stated as 40 quarters of work.

Yepers, and I should add.

If the LPR never works the worse case scenario ‘reality’ for the OP would be, could be, indefinite financial responsibility.:yes:

I'm Filipino. We got married in the Philippines. Divorce is not existent in the Philippines. You can annul if you have to. But it costs a lot, according to some friends who had the misfortune of being married to bastards.

I think you may have this assumption that going the CR-1 visa route does not require you to have as much money as a sponsor in a K-1 visa route. That assumption is wrong.

Either route, you have to prove you can support your fiancee/wife.

Let's be fair about it, bastards or money grabbing-bitches :hehe:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.