Ak+Tk

When to apply for citizenship

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

MY husband got his 10 year green card in October, when could we apply for citizenship? Thank you

Three years (minus 90 days) after his becoming a resident, he can apply to become a Citizen (provided he is still married to you)

You can use this to figure out the exact date.

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Three years (minus 90 days) after his becoming a resident, he can apply to become a Citizen (provided he is still married to you)

And keep in mind, you guys must be married for at least 3 years at the time of filling.

Filling requirement:

Marriage: At least 3 years

PR Status: 3 years - 90 days

XrVRp5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife is eligible to apply for citizenship since July 2012. However, we have not applied. Her Green card is valid till 2020. Can she continue w/ Green card and then later apply when necessary for citizenship. Is there anything that prevents her for continuing w/ GC or anything that mandates that she convert into citizen after having K1/K3 visa category. Thanks.

9/19/2008 - Mailed I-129F by USPS Priority

9/22 - Mail reached USCIS - CSC

9/23 - Check Cashed

9/23 - NOA1 Notice Date (now wait and pray that NOA2 should come soon!!)

9/27 - NOA1 received by mail

9/29 - Touched (probably to correct typos)

9/30 - Touched

1/14/2009 - NOA2 approved

1/20 - NOA2 hard copy received

1/22 - NVC received petition

1/26 - NVC sent petition to Embassy

1/29 - Received NVC Hard copy

1/30 - Embassy received petition

2/3 - Received P3 from Embassy

2/3 - P3 sent by Courier from India

2/10 - Confirmed that P3 is in embassy's system (called embassy, DOS)

2/23 - Called DOS - Got interview date verbally

3/9 - Medicals Completed

3/31 - Interview Successful

4/3 - Received Visa

4/20 - Arrival

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

My wife is eligible to apply for citizenship since July 2012. However, we have not applied. Her Green card is valid till 2020. Can she continue w/ Green card and then later apply when necessary for citizenship. Is there anything that prevents her for continuing w/ GC or anything that mandates that she convert into citizen after having K1/K3 visa category. Thanks.

She can continue with her Green Card and she can renew the green card after 2020 if she wish to continue her stay with GC.

Citizenship is optional.

Personal Suggestion: It is better to get the citizenship if she is qualified now. You dont know what can happen in future, and what may make that person disqualified for citizenship in future.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

13 month battle in the AOS only to get a two year conditional card, spent the next 21 months gathering evidence for that. Only to get a one year extension notice that also expired requiring a 450 mile trip to get an I-551 stamp. A day wouldn't go by with thoughts about the USCIS ruling our lives.

Because of frustration with the USCIS, elected with a long talk with my wife to apply for citizenship at the earliest date, only way to get freedom. Another factor from experience, having a loved one hit by a hit and run driver, then getting expelled from my health insurance policy with a precondition where after all of your reserves are ate up and public assistance is the only option. No way with that I-864 hanging over your head.

Yet another problem was with my wife's employer since our state passed a law for hiring an illegal with a $16,400.00 fine, their legal department was driving us nuts with an expired green card and that crazy one year extension. Then also problems with our DMV refusing to renew her drivers' license, what the hell is a one year extension?

We sure needed a break after that AOS and ROC go around when her ten year card finally came in, but elected to apply for citizenship at the earliest possible date. This meant copying another inch thick of documents, reading all the rules, trying to make heads or tails out of that sloppy N-400 form written by the then current director that can't even speak English let alone write it.

We thought on advantage of going through this marriage BS would be free from her consulate with a US passport, but learned the hard way our DOS made an agreement with the country she was born in and not even lived at required her to maintain her foreign passport. That was a negative, but at least we were finally free of the USCIS, that was worth the effort. I think we have a law now where preconditions in health insurance are no longer a burden, but still is great to be free from that I-864 and having to inform the USCIS we are moving across the street.

And once my wife showed her legal department her certificate, closed that file on her, no longer asked, where is your green card. She also feels she is a part of this country. Also took me awhile not to think about collecting evidence, keeping records on our travel, employment, and address changes.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Very well written "NickD"... I will answer this text to anyone who is considering not to apply for citizenship

Moderators please note it.

13 month battle in the AOS only to get a two year conditional card, spent the next 21 months gathering evidence for that. Only to get a one year extension notice that also expired requiring a 450 mile trip to get an I-551 stamp. A day wouldn't go by with thoughts about the USCIS ruling our lives.

Because of frustration with the USCIS, elected with a long talk with my wife to apply for citizenship at the earliest date, only way to get freedom. Another factor from experience, having a loved one hit by a hit and run driver, then getting expelled from my health insurance policy with a precondition where after all of your reserves are ate up and public assistance is the only option. No way with that I-864 hanging over your head.

Yet another problem was with my wife's employer since our state passed a law for hiring an illegal with a $16,400.00 fine, their legal department was driving us nuts with an expired green card and that crazy one year extension. Then also problems with our DMV refusing to renew her drivers' license, what the hell is a one year extension?

We sure needed a break after that AOS and ROC go around when her ten year card finally came in, but elected to apply for citizenship at the earliest possible date. This meant copying another inch thick of documents, reading all the rules, trying to make heads or tails out of that sloppy N-400 form written by the then current director that can't even speak English let alone write it.

We thought on advantage of going through this marriage BS would be free from her consulate with a US passport, but learned the hard way our DOS made an agreement with the country she was born in and not even lived at required her to maintain her foreign passport. That was a negative, but at least we were finally free of the USCIS, that was worth the effort. I think we have a law now where preconditions in health insurance are no longer a burden, but still is great to be free from that I-864 and having to inform the USCIS we are moving across the street.

And once my wife showed her legal department her certificate, closed that file on her, no longer asked, where is your green card. She also feels she is a part of this country. Also took me awhile not to think about collecting evidence, keeping records on our travel, employment, and address changes.

Filed: Timeline

I believe everyone have their own experience with USCIS, as well as with their home country and I don't think it is worth to talk someone into getting their US citizenship (or talk them out of it). Some people cannot be dual citizens, and would like to hold on to their last little thing that holds them to their country, their citizenship. We should respect that and not try to convince one how they should get obtain their citizenship. Let them decide. Some people had big problems with USCIS, and others did not...some people have no feelings for their home country and if in a minute could become a USC they would while others never will want to get US citizenship. And these are all good. I don't think anyone has the right to judge and convince people to get US citizenship (or as mentioned in my first line, talk them out of it either...).

@Dilbert30: your wife can remain a GC holder forever if she likes to. She can always renew her GC in 2020 if she wants to. Up to her, and she won't get denied entry or anything like that just because she did not become a US citizen "on time". With that, there are job applications that does require US citizenship but it really depends on her field, it could be in her field this is absolutely does not matter at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

As GC holder here are some drawbacks: your GC can be revoked anytime (i.e.: old laws are amended, new ones creep in), you can be denied entry in the country if the customs officer feels like it or if there's a glitch in the system mistakenly taking you for someone on the wanted list.

It's important to think about these aspects if you own a property in the US or have US-born kids.

[Timeline]

10/13/2012 -> N-400 filed

10/19/2012 -> Check cashed

10/22/2012 -> NOA #1 letter received

10/25/2012 -> NOA #2 letter received

11/15/2012 -> Biometrics appointment

11/19/2012 -> Placed in line for interview

01/03/2013 -> Interview letter

02/12/2013 -> Interview passed

02/12/2013 -> Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

See the poster in question is from India.

"Section 9(1) of the act provides that any citizen of India who by naturalisation or registration acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India. Notably, the termination provision differs from the renunciation provision because it applies to "any citizen of India" and is not restricted to adults. Indian children therefore also automatically lose their claim to Indian citizenship if at any time after birth they acquire a citizenship of another country by, for example, naturalisation or registration — even if the acquisition of another citizenship was done as a result of actions by the child's parents."

Is a consideration, several countries do not permit dual naturalization and with your place of birth printed in your US passport, won't even let you in. Maintaining a foreign passport can also be a pain in the butt especially if there are only three in the entire USA and have to show up in person to maintain it. Crook also like a little extra under the table.

Green cards use to be lifetime, now ten years, what about next year, every five years, then everyone one year, then everyday?

Have to say my wife and daughter got a bit spoiled living here, can actually drink the water out of the tap. But we still have to maintain their foreign passports if they want to visit their home countries. They were born there, not by choice, their choice was to live here, but the only thing our DOS cares about, is where you were born. They certainly different have any say about that.

Then for me with the USCIS with fraud and being accused of it. If I did get suckered marrying a sweet young thing that screwed me the wrong way, could be facing a five year prison term. If she dumped me just to get here, no protection from the USCIS, and still would be responsible for her for the next ten years with that I-864. Far more concerned with fraud than what the USCIS could even think about., they don't have anything to lose, we sure do.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Well tomorrow 1/15/ is out three year wedding anniversary!!!

When I checked with USCIS. The date you use is the what is shown on the green card. So if it shows 1/15/2010, you can go ahead and file for citizenship now. If the green card shows 1/15/2010 as date of issue, then you are qualified at 10/15/2009 (90 days before).

K1 is the first step to the world of happiness. The next step N400 ;)

M and F's Journey

1-28-2009 Meet through an Internet Dating site
3-15-2009 Went to India to meet her
3-23-2009 Got Engaged!
4-1-2009 Filed for I-129F Fiancee Visa
4-17-2009 NOA1 Received
8-20-2009 NOA2 Email
8-27-2009 NOA2 Hard copy
9-2-2009 NVC sent Package
10/8/2009 Package 4
11/17/2009 Interview :)
11/17/2009 Interview Passed
11/18/2009 Has Passport in hands!
12/19/2009 She will come to USA woo hoo!
12/31/2009 We got married!
05/2010 Green Card - 2 year
02/17/2012 Receipt for Removal of conditions
03/01/2012 Biometrics
12/07/2012 RFE
12/24/2012 RFE delivery confirmation through USPS
01/14/2013 Status shows USPS Tracking number for new green card

01/25/2012 Received 10 year green card

03/05/2013 N400 Eligibility Starts (90 days before actual date)

04/14/2014 Filed for N400, based on Marriage to US Citizen (3 year)
04/16/2014 N400 Reached Lewisville, TX
04/21/2014 Check Cashed
04/21/2014 Text of NOA
04/18/2014 Date shown on NOA with acceptance on 4/16/2014
05/12/2014 - Fingerprints
10/17/2014 - Interview Letter sent with date and time
TBD - Interview
TBD- Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.