10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm working on gathering some information for a friend of mine, and I want to make sure I have it all right before I help out.

First, my friend is a U.S. Citizen currently residing in Italy with her husband. They have been married for a little over 3 years and have resided in Italy the entire time. They are planning on moving to the U.S., and put an offer in on a house here that was accepted yesterday. They are closing on the house at the end of March.

Obviously, they want to file their I-130 while still in Italy. My friend will move here first to get settled in their new house, and her husband (an attorney) will travel between the U.S. and Italy while he wraps up his current cases and closes out his business.

Just a couple of questions to clear up what I've researched:

1. Can they file the I-130 at the Consulate that covers their district, or is Naples still the only Consulate that handles Immigrant Visas? I've gotten conflicting information, and some websites say Naples while others say Rome.

2. Can he travel to and from the U.S. while he is waiting for his I-130 to be processed?

3. In the event that the I-130 takes longer than a month to process, does my friend have to travel back to Italy for an interview or anything like that?

Thanks for your help. When my husband and I went through all this, he was already in the U.S. and we got married here. Filing from the U.S. is so much different than filing abroad!

Edited by squirkie

Sometimes it helps just posting and "talking" things through with myself helps! :lol: I found the answer to my first question at http://www.usembassy.it - interestingly enough, I have been looking at and reading that website for DAYS and I missed that small bit of information each time!

I also found the answer to the 3rd question, assuming the DCF article that is linked to on this website is up-to-date.

I still need and answer to the 2nd question though. If my friend files the I-130 in Naples before they close on their new house in the U.S., will her husband be able to travel with her to attend the closing and then return to Italy to wait for the I-130 to be processed?

Edited by squirkie

Well I don't recall any previous members doing italy dcf, and this page: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...taly&cty=Naples

says you can't, but that could be old info. Who knows? Anyways, oh I see you just added the second post. Good.

As far as travelling back and forth while it's being processed....I'd ask the consulate...you hear stories about people being turned away at the airport, so I'd be hesitant. If Italy does do dcf like Australia does, then you would sumbit the I130 the same day as interview, but I don't know if it works the same way. Needless to say, check with the embassy and see what they say.

I love my job.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Well I don't recall any previous members doing italy dcf, and this page: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...taly&cty=Naples

says you can't, but that could be old info. Who knows? Anyways, oh I see you just added the second post. Good.

As far as travelling back and forth while it's being processed....I'd ask the consulate...you hear stories about people being turned away at the airport, so I'd be hesitant. If Italy does do dcf like Australia does, then you would sumbit the I130 the same day as interview, but I don't know if it works the same way. Needless to say, check with the embassy and see what they say.

DCF is available for US Citizens who are resident in Italy. The I-130 will be filed with the USCIS office at the EMbassy in Rome. The interview will take place in Naples.

From the US Embassy in Rome webpage

American citizens resident in the United States, legal permanent residents of the United States, and employers based in the United States who wish to file immigrant or fiancé(e) visa petitions for residents of Italy should contact their nearest Department of Homeland Security-Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services office in the United States. American citizens resident in Italy who wish to file immigrant visa petitions for residents of Italy should contact the Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, United States Embassy, Consular Building, Via Veneto 121, 00187 Rome, Tel (39) 064674-2190, Fax (39) 064674-2920. American citizens resident in Italy who wish to file fiancé(e) visa petitions for residents of Italy should contact an office of the Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, in the United States.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Hope your finding all the things you/your friend need.

If further questions come up there's a bunch of us Ital/Americans in http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37. We'd be glad to give any info we can.

:star: Yes, Italy accepts DCF when you meet the requirements, resident.

:star: Send I-130 to Rome, the rest will take place in Naples, contacting them isn't easy, see above link for tips.. ;)

:star: As far as I remember, the alien is advised not to travel while the visa is being processed...I don't know what the exact "rule" is, or if there even is one now that I think about it....I remember something about complications, or risking being sent back....or intending to immigrate with out visa... :help: I'm not too sure there.

:star: No, the U.S. citizen isn't required to attend the interview in Naples.

Good Luck wishes to your friend, if any other questions come up, just PM me or post here or in the link, I'm ( :blush::crying: ) planning on filing for my husband soon.....(I know alot of you have heard that from me before, we're getting closer, I promise! :blush::hehe: )

Jan 17 2007.......I-130 arrived at Rome Embassy

Feb 23 2007.......I-130 approved

Mar 05 2007.......Naples recieved I-130 from Rome

Mar 21 2007.......NOA recieved from Rome by Fax

Mar 28 2007.......Interview Appt Date set for 8th May

May 08 2007.......Visa Approved, also our Wedding Ann!

I just double checked the I-130 form, on the last page there is a checklist that says....

Have you....answered each question?

Signed the petition?

Enclosed:

the filing fee

proof of your citizenship

all required documents

Included if filing for husband/wife:

Your picture

His/her picture

Your G-325A

His/her G-325A

So yes, they should be sent to Rome together from what I understand, lol(which isn't much.)

Now here's a question for you, you might not have a clue, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to just ask....

:star: Within the Packet there is also Form I-864A/Contract between Sponsor and Household member, and I-134/Affidavit of Support.

Question is this...what are they doing in this packet?! Dosen't say to send them anywhere, so if I remember right, these forms are given at time of interview?! Or can they be filed together at time of I-130...Or did I read something about asking if they could be filed together before doing so....hoping to save myself another call to INS in Rome...your thoughts? Thanks, Breezy :thumbs:

Will, it makes SENSE to file them all at the time of the I-130. That's how I did it when my husband and I filed, but we were in the U.S. when we filed.

So I don't know for sure about that either. :lol:

Just read the instructions on the I-134, and I don't think you can file them with the I-130 in Rome.

When I filed the packet, I had the I-134 notarized. It says in the instructions on the I-134 that:

If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed before a U.S. consular or immigration officer.

Thanks anyways, ;) I know I'll find that out, I think I've got it written down....shheeshh, I'm a mess today...

rereading and rereading.....that's whats causing my confusion.....lol, thanks though!

Edited by breezy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.