Usui Takumi

Can we say Corruption?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/237708/158/Meet-The-Press-David-Gregory-Faces-No-Charges-For-On-Air-Ammunition-Clip

NBC journalist David Gregory won't face charges for displaying what he said was a high-capacity ammunition magazine on his "Meet the Press" show.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Corruption !

There, I said it.

Film at 11.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Here is the letter from the prosecutor:

GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Office of the Attorney General

January 11,2013

Lee Levine, Esq.

Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz, LLP

1899 L Street, N.W., Suite 200

Washington, D.C. 20036

Re: Meet The Press

Dear Mr. Levine:

As you know, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has referred to this office (OAG) theresults of its investigation of the broadcast by your client, the National Broadcasting Company(NBC), of the news program "Meet the Press" on Sunday December 23,2012. On thatbroadcast, during the course of an interview of a guest regarding firearms policy in the United States, the program host, David Gregory, exhibited on camera a large capacity ammunition feeding device ("magazine") in violation of D.C. law. I have also received and reviewed your letter to me of January 9, 2013, explaining the circumstances under which Mr. Gregory came into possession of the magazine, the purported confusion from the allegedly conflicting advice from federal and local law enforcement sources, and assurances by your client of future compliance with our laws.

The device in the host's possession on that broadcast was a magazine capable of holding up to 30 rounds of ammunition. The host also possessed and displayed another ammunition magazinecapable of holding five to ten rounds of ammunition. Neither magazine contained any ammunition nor was either connected to any firearm. The broadcast took place from NBCstudios located at 4001 Nebraska Avenue, N.W. in Washington, D.C.

It is unlawful under D.C. Code Section 7-2506.01(b) for any person while in the District ofColumbia to "possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardlessof whether the device is attached to a firearm" or loaded. Under the Subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a "magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar devicethat has the capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept more than tenrounds of ammunition." Under D.C. Code Section 7-2507.06, any person convicted of a violationof this Subsection may be imprisoned for not more than one year, fined not more than $1,000,

The larger of the two ammunition feeding devices in question here meets the definition under the statute. OAG has responsibility for prosecuting such offenses and takes that responsibility very seriously. We have a history of aggressively prosecuting violations of this statute where the circumstances warrant. There is no doubt of the gravity ofthe illegal conduct in this matter,especially in a city and a nation that have been plagued by carnage from gun violence. Of course,the recent tragic, heart-breaking events, particularly at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, which appear to have led to the program in question, also underscore our belief in the vigorous enforcement of such laws.

Having carefully reviewed all of the facts and circumstances of this matter, as it does in everycase involving firearms-related offenses or any other potential violation of D.C. law within ourcriminal jurisdiction, OAG has determined to exercise its prosecutorial discretion to decline tobring criminal charges against Mr. Gregory, who has no criminal record, or any other NBC employee based on the events associated with the December 23,2012 broadcast. OAG has made this determination, despite the clarity of the violation of this important law, because under all of the circumstances here a prosecution would not promote public safety in the District of Columbia nor serve the best interests of the people of the District to whom this office owes its trust.

Influencing our judgment in this case, among other things, is our recognition that the intent of the temporary possession and short display of the magazine was to promote the First Amendmentpurpose of informing an ongoing public debate about firearms policy in the United States,especially while this subject was foremost in the minds of the public following the previously mentioned events in Connecticut and the President's speech to the nation about them. There were, however, other legal means available to demonstrate the point and to pursue this line of questioning with the guest that were suggested to NBC and that could have and should have been pursued.

OAG also appreciates that the magazine was immediately returned to the source that NBC understood to be its lawful owner outside of the District and that the magazine in question, with NBC's assistance, has been surrendered to MPD. OAG also recognizes the cooperation NBC has provided in the investigation of this matter.

On the other hand, no specific intent is required for this violation, and ignorance of the law or even confusion about it is no defense. We therefore did not rely in making our judgment on thefeeble and unsatisfactory efforts that NBC made to determine whether or not it was lawful to possess, display and broadcast this large capacity magazine as a means of fostering the publicpolicy debate. Although there appears to have been some misinformation provided initially, NBC was clearly and timely advised by an MPD employee that its plans to exhibit on thebroadcast a high capacity-magazine would violate D.C. law, and there was no contrary advicefrom any federal official. While you argue that some NBC employees subjectively felt uncertainas to whether its planned actions were lawful or not, we do not believe such uncertainty was justified and we note that NBC has now acknowledged that its interpretation of the information it received was incorrect.

NBC should be made aware that OAG's decision not to press charges in this matter was a very close decision and not one to which it came lightly or easily. Accordingly, NBC and its employees should take meticulous care in the future to ensure that it is in full compliance with D.C. law whether its actions involve firearms or any other potential violation. Repetition by NBC or any employee of any similar or other firearms violation will be prosecuted to the fullextent supported by the facts and the law.

I am confident that you will convey our deep concern and warning to your client.

Sincerely,

Irvin B. Nathan

Attorney General for the District of Columbia

Now keep in mind NBC asked permission and was told not to possess the magazine in writing, yet they broke the law anyway.

Timeline

Sure we can say corruption. Alternatively, we can grab and breathe into a paper bag to get that hyperventilation under control. Once that is done, I think we can take a step back and recognize a sound exercise of discretion.

So if NBC writes to DC authorities for permission to possess a 30 round mag for a news bit (which is against the law there) and is specifically told no they can not possess a 30 round mag for the news story....yet they purposely disregard it...and get away with it - you would call that a sound exercise of discretion......riiiiigggght, with logic like that why even have laws.

Filed: Timeline
So if NBC writes to DC authorities for permission to possess a 30 round mag for a news bit (which is against the law there) and is specifically told no they can not possess a 30 round mag for the news story....yet they purposely disregard it...and get away with it - you would call that a sound exercise of discretion......riiiiigggght, with logic like that why even have laws.

There are literally hundreds of infractions that could be prosecuted but aren't because it would not be a good use of the limited resources of the OAG. Often this runs under the headline "we've got bigger fish to fry". In my job in the private sector I make those kinds of decisions based on a cost / benefit analysis each and every day. It's the same thing in principle. I've got resources for maybe 100 projects but I have 250 project requests on the docket. That means that 150 of these requests won't get done. Not because they're not valid project requests but because they didn't make cut. Other projects offer more bang for the buck and those are the ones we will get done. Shouldn't be a strange concept to anyone that works anywhere in the real world - public sector or private makes no difference.

Timeline

There are literally hundreds of infractions that could be prosecuted but aren't because it would not be a good use of the limited resources of the OAG. Often this runs under the headline "we've got bigger fish to fry". In my job in the private sector I make those kinds of decisions based on a cost / benefit analysis each and every day. It's the same thing in principle. I've got resources for maybe 100 projects but I have 250 project requests on the docket. That means that 150 of these requests won't get done. Not because they're not valid project requests but because they didn't make cut. Other projects offer more bang for the buck and those are the ones we will get done. Shouldn't be a strange concept to anyone that works anywhere in the real world - public sector or private makes no difference.

Keep that in mind when you are asking for stricter laws then...if the current rule of law is enforced using a triage mentality, then more laws will only make it worse.

Edited by Usui Takumi

Timeline

Of course, even if NBC did line their pockets....the threat of their well paid legal team might play into what your mentioning - i.e. not worth going down that road. But then does that not also illustrate the inequality of the justice system?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Corruption !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline
Of course, even if NBC did line their pockets....the threat of their well paid legal team might play into what your mentioning - i.e. not worth going down that road. But then does that not also illustrate the inequality of the justice system?

That's right. NBC's lawyers would bury the OAG in paperwork for the next 10-20 years and in the end what would be achieved? Tons of money spent, lots of resources wasted, lots of other cases that would be in the public interest to pursue not pursued. And someone in that office will have to run for re-election at some point, no? And that person certainly asked him or herself the question: Do I really want to run against a major national television network?