Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

AOS Questions

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi VJers! I'm so happy that I received my K1 and that the process was relatively easy. I am so excited to finally be able to move to the States and to start planning my wedding. However, planning for the wedding has brought up some important questions and I'm hoping that you can help me. First off, I'd like to have the wedding ceremony in Canada, but we would get legally married first in San Francisco.

Here are the key potential milestones:

1. POE beginning of March

2. Get legally married in San Francisco city hall on March 28 (tentative). Has anyone had experience getting married there? How long does it take to get the marriage certificate and can you get it right away? Do I just photocopy my marriage certificate for the i-485?

3. Travel to Canada for the dinner tasting and to finalize wedding details (June/July)

4. Have the wedding ceremony in Canada August 31 (tentative date)

For those of you who have had experience with AOS, do my milestones seem achievable? If I don't get my green card by July/July, would I still be able to use AP to complete Steps 3 and 4? What conditions do they allow people to use AP? I have wedding guests flying in from all over and don't want to NOT be able to attend my own wedding ceremony or cancel. :(

I would appreciate any help that you guys can offer me! :)

Thanks in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all you need is a copy of the certified marriage certificate you get from the court after your marriage is registered. Call the court in the county you will marry and ask how long it takes to get your certified marriage certificate from them.

It takes 2-3 months to receive the EAD/AP after filing. Since you file together at the same time, you will most likely receive the EAD/AP combo card. This acts as your employment authorization and travel document. You can use AP more than once. You simply put Unknown for the date and length of trip and check the box for more than one trip. No explanation statement as to why you want AP is needed when filing with the I-485. There are no certain conditions to use it. You can go back to your country to visit and then use the AP to re-enter the US. That is its purpose, to use to re-enter the US when traveling while waiting for your green card approval.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember you can leave the US untill you have your AP, have fun good luck. http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=16

In Arizona its hot hot hot.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.