VDL

filing out the 864 with co sponsor

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi, I need some answers. I have a bit weird living arrangement and due to my little income, I will need to include a co-sponsor to show sufficient income to bring my husband into United States. I am living in my mother's domestic partner (who is considers as my stepfather)'s house, but he does not live here. He lives at my mother's house in different city. He is willing to be a co-sponsor but with him living in separate houses will affect the approval on 864? I need to understand more clearly and be prepared when the 864 forms come in. The house mortgage and everything are in his name but my driver's license and bank statements and bills are in my name and my husband will live here.. so I am not sure how to explain or to fill out the forms with this living arrangement. Should I get our lawyer to make out a letter explaining on the living arrangement and that my stepfather will be a co-sponsor?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Filed: Timeline

Its kind of hard to untangle your post so I dont know that Im even going to try. Instead Im just going to explain the basic process and you can apply it to your situation.

You need to fill out your own 864 for your husbands AOS packet regardless of whether or not you have enough income, where you live, whose name is on the mortgage etc. Follow the instructions carefully. Count all the members in your household- which it seems like is 2? Just you and your husband?

If you find your income is not sufficient, you will need a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor DOES NOT have to live with you, nor be a relative. All they have to do is meet the financial requirements, be over 18, a citizen or LPR, and be domiciled in the US. Just be sure your co-sponsor will meet their financial requirements. (for the co-sponsor that means they can support all the members in their household- which would be them, maybe your mother depending if they are married or not, and any minor children they may have plus your husband)

Edited by capri

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, I need some answers. I have a bit weird living arrangement and due to my little income, I will need to include a co-sponsor to show sufficient income to bring my husband into United States. I am living in my mother's domestic partner (who is considers as my stepfather)'s house, but he does not live here. He lives at my mother's house in different city. He is willing to be a co-sponsor but with him living in separate houses will affect the approval on 864? I need to understand more clearly and be prepared when the 864 forms come in. The house mortgage and everything are in his name but my driver's license and bank statements and bills are in my name and my husband will live here.. so I am not sure how to explain or to fill out the forms with this living arrangement. Should I get our lawyer to make out a letter explaining on the living arrangement and that my stepfather will be a co-sponsor?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

You do not need to explain that you do not live with your joint sponsor. It is not a requirement to reside with your joint sponsor. A joint sponsor can be any US citizen or legal permanent resident that resides anywhere in the US.

You fill out your I-864 and provide your supporting documents, and your joint sponsor fills out their own separate I-864 and provides their supporting documents plus proof of being a USC or LPR.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.