JimboSpirit

Children to join

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee doesn't want to bring the kids right away, she wants to wait 3 years.

Her mom for the most part takes care of the kids already, seems normal for Thais as far as I can tell.

Mom works in the city, grandma takes care of the kids.

Anyways my question would be, what do I file when she wants the kids to join?

Should I put them on the I-134. They don't have passports yet.

--

September filer at the CSC, hope for NOA2 by late Feb & have interview by early April.

sj6um8.png

My fiancee doesn't want to bring the kids right away, she wants to wait 3 years.

Her mom for the most part takes care of the kids already, seems normal for Thais as far as I can tell.

Mom works in the city, grandma takes care of the kids.

Anyways my question would be, what do I file when she wants the kids to join?

Should I put them on the I-134. They don't have passports yet.

--

September filer at the CSC, hope for NOA2 by late Feb & have interview by early April.

You can still file but it is only valid for 1 year. After that only she can file for her kids (unless you adopt the kids) and I believe she needs to be a USC (which takes about 3-5 years) to file for children

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

9 & 6 ... assuming were married (but the kids aren't mine) she has to be the one to file? I guess there's nothing technically wrong doing adoption. Just sounds strange to me. Joint adoption, adopting her own kids. Mmm just more complicated than I thought.

sj6um8.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

9 & 6 ... assuming were married (but the kids aren't mine) she has to be the one to file? I guess there's nothing technically wrong doing adoption. Just sounds strange to me. Joint adoption, adopting her own kids. Mmm just more complicated than I thought.

You don't have to adopt them. They become your stepchildren.

You have 2 options:

1.) You can file i-130 for them.

2.) Fiancee waits after 3 years, then file i-130 for them. The faster route is if she becomes a US citizen too. She will qualify after 3 YEARS of being married to you, just in time for her desired timeframe. After she gets her Naturalization certificate, she can file i-130 for the kids.

Either way, it'll take less than a year for them to immigrate since they will be under the IR category (Unmarried child below 21 of a US citizen).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=86493e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=86493e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by apple21

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your fiancee changes her mind and would want for the kids to immigrate ASAP, then you file i-130 for them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.