Joanne and Roy

police check in Australia

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My visa application is currently on its way to Sydney and I'd like to start gathering the documentation I need as soon as possible. I'm unclear about the police check. Is it a federal police check with fingerprints? Is this done at a local police station? And how long does it usually take?

The other thing I'm wondering about is the medical. Does this need to be done and the results sent back before the interview is scheduled?

In other people's experience how long has it taken to get to the point of being able to send back the 'preparedness for interview' forms and documentation?

Edited by Joanne and Roy

Timeline

yeah it's a National Police Certificate based on Fingerprints and Name ($175), done at local police station, passport required and takes 2-3 weeks to get mailed to you

The medical is done beforehand and you mail the results with the rest of the documentation on the packet 3 checklist to the consulate

Hope that helps. :)

event.png

My visa application is currently on its way to Sydney and I'd like to start gathering the documentation I need as soon as possible. I'm unclear about the police check. Is it a federal police check with fingerprints? Is this done at a local police station? And how long does it usually take?

The other thing I'm wondering about is the medical. Does this need to be done and the results sent back before the interview is scheduled?

In other people's experience how long has it taken to get to the point of being able to send back the 'preparedness for interview' forms and documentation?

Which state are you in?

I'm in Victoria, but have also lived in NSW.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#vic

If you're in Victoria, you get your national police certificate (name and fingerprint check) through the Victoria Police. If you're in or near Melbourne, then you make an appointment to go to the office in Melbourne

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274

If you are in regional Victoria you can go to one of the regional fingerprinting locations

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=31613

It doesn't matter where else in Australia you've lived, it just matters where you reside now. The police check is a national check, so you only need the one for the whole of Australia.

Edited by Lainie B

Timeline

Hi Joanne and Roy,

I did mine through Victoria Police, at the city office. You call up the number given on their website to make a fingerprinting appointment, and there's a form you have to fill in and bring in with you for the police certificate. I had some trouble when I called up to make my appointment as the people I spoke to kept telling me that there was a waiting list of two months or so and that I would have to go out to a regional office if I wanted something within one month. It turned out they were giving me the wrong advice, and that people such as us who are applying for an overseas visa, go through a different process which does not have the long waiting list. So if you happen to encounter this, have a look at my post from two or three months ago in this folder, about the police check - some of the other ladies here advised me on what to do to get the correct type of appointment without a waiting list. The actual fingerprinting procedure took about 10 minutes. Then they mailed the certificate out to me within about a week - they tell you to expect two weeks or so.

The medical seems to be best done early, but I think I've heard of some people having it done close to the interview and having the results mailed directly to the consulate just in time. Not sure how that works - I'd say if you can get it done earlier that would be easier all round. Then you send it in with the rest of your packet 3 documents. I just had my medical done a few weeks ago and my review is also in this folder. If you are in Melbourne it seems everyone's experience is that you can book your medical before having a case number.

It has taken me quite a long time to get everything together, but that's because I'm not terribly organised, lol, and because I've had to wait for my fiance to pull together his financial information for the i-134. It took him a while to get hold of the bank letter, and he had to order his tax transcript. Now he needs to get letters from his clients (letter from employer, usually, but he's self-employed). Then all that will need to get mailed over to Australia. I think if you are organised then my guess would be that you could get it all done within a few weeks or a month.

(F)

Riss

Edited by riss

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Oct 22, 2012 - RFE reply sent

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

Nov 27, 2012 - Packet 3 received

just out of curiosity, what vaccinations did you have to get at your medical? I'm hoping to get as few vaccinations as possible.

From memory: MMR, TDAP, varicella and tetanus. And flu shot if it's flu season. There may be more, I can't remember. Most of those you would have got as a child and will be on your childhood vaccination card you'll be fine, you won't need the vaccination. Tetanus has to be up to date. If you've had chicken pox you won't need the varicella.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

just out of curiosity, what vaccinations did you have to get at your medical? I'm hoping to get as few vaccinations as possible.

Do you have proof of your shots? I had my baby book that showed what I had so I only needed TDAP (that's one shot with tetanus, diphtheria an accelular pertussis (whooping cough)) because I already had MMR and I have had chicken pox (varicella). If you are worried about having shots that you know you've already had but don't have proof, see your doctor about getting a blood titre done to look for immunities.

Has your fiance sent you his I-134 and further letter of intent?

Timeline

Thanks, this is a really helpful.

I got my police check and fingerprints done today and have my medical scheduled for the 22nd. I had a blood test done yesterday to check my immunity, so am waiting for those results.

Do you have an interview date yet?

Hi Joanne and Roy,

I did mine through Victoria Police, at the city office. You call up the number given on their website to make a fingerprinting appointment, and there's a form you have to fill in and bring in with you for the police certificate. I had some trouble when I called up to make my appointment as the people I spoke to kept telling me that there was a waiting list of two months or so and that I would have to go out to a regional office if I wanted something within one month. It turned out they were giving me the wrong advice, and that people such as us who are applying for an overseas visa, go through a different process which does not have the long waiting list. So if you happen to encounter this, have a look at my post from two or three months ago in this folder, about the police check - some of the other ladies here advised me on what to do to get the correct type of appointment without a waiting list. The actual fingerprinting procedure took about 10 minutes. Then they mailed the certificate out to me within about a week - they tell you to expect two weeks or so.

The medical seems to be best done early, but I think I've heard of some people having it done close to the interview and having the results mailed directly to the consulate just in time. Not sure how that works - I'd say if you can get it done earlier that would be easier all round. Then you send it in with the rest of your packet 3 documents. I just had my medical done a few weeks ago and my review is also in this folder. If you are in Melbourne it seems everyone's experience is that you can book your medical before having a case number.

It has taken me quite a long time to get everything together, but that's because I'm not terribly organised, lol, and because I've had to wait for my fiance to pull together his financial information for the i-134. It took him a while to get hold of the bank letter, and he had to order his tax transcript. Now he needs to get letters from his clients (letter from employer, usually, but he's self-employed). Then all that will need to get mailed over to Australia. I think if you are organised then my guess would be that you could get it all done within a few weeks or a month.

(F)

Riss

Thanks everyone for your informative responses.

Timeline

Hi Joanne/Roy, I don't have an interview date yet as I haven't sent my packet 3 in yet. Still waiting on my fiance to send me his financial info, which probably won't happen for at least a couple more weeks. I hear people are waiting two months or so for interview dates, after having sent in their packet 3. In September/October last year it was taking only 2 weeks for people to get interviews but it seemed to slow right down at the end of the year. Hopefully it will pick up again by the time you and I send our stuff in? One can only hope. :innocent:

(F)

Riss

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Oct 22, 2012 - RFE reply sent

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

Nov 27, 2012 - Packet 3 received

Timeline

Hi Joanne/Roy, I don't have an interview date yet as I haven't sent my packet 3 in yet. Still waiting on my fiance to send me his financial info, which probably won't happen for at least a couple more weeks. I hear people are waiting two months or so for interview dates, after having sent in their packet 3. In September/October last year it was taking only 2 weeks for people to get interviews but it seemed to slow right down at the end of the year. Hopefully it will pick up again by the time you and I send our stuff in? One can only hope. :innocent:

(F)

Riss

Timeline

Are you sure you need all your partner's financial stuff before sending back packet 3? The instructions they emailed me say:

Form I-134- Affadavit of Support, this may be necessary on day of interview

yet it is in the list of forms required, which is very confusing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.