youditsu

N-400 - question about divorce decree translation

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am about mailing out our N-400 package tomorrow but would need some help with the divorce decree translation. We will apply for citizenship with my husband and daughter on a 5+ years GC base. We moved from our home country as a married couple but were both previously married. As we also need to attach a copy of the divorce decree translated to English, can I as applicant do the translation myself and sign it as a certified translator? I am fluent in both languages.

Thank you for your help with this.

I am about mailing out our N-400 package tomorrow but would need some help with the divorce decree translation. We will apply for citizenship with my husband and daughter on a 5+ years GC base. We moved from our home country as a married couple but were both previously married. As we also need to attach a copy of the divorce decree translated to English, can I as applicant do the translation myself and sign it as a certified translator? I am fluent in both languages.

You cannot do it yourself. Sorry they want an official translator When i did it we hire someone from the court house.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This question is a lot more complicated than it seems, first off, does the USA even recognize marriages in your home country? This is all done by agreement with the 200 some odd different countries.

Next, how did you even get those green cards, assume through marriage, but maybe not. But if, you need all of those translated copies to even get that green card.

In regards to finding a certified translator, no such thing in this country. Wife is a medical translator, they have been talking about certification now for years, but so far, nothing has been done about it.

It's perfectly acceptable to do these translations yourself, wife did, you sign a statement that your translation is correct and to the best of your knowledge, and supply both a copy of the original and the translation. If you lie or don't do it correctly, you will be in deep trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am fluent in both of my languages and did my own translation without a problem. I also attached the document Certification of Translation as required.

event.png

Timeline

I am fluent in both of my languages and did my own translation without a problem. I also attached the document Certification of Translation as required.

Forgot about that certification document.

Here it is:

"Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address"

Just copy this in your word processor, make the changes, print it out and attached to your translation, and a copy of the original document. We had zero problems with this. Wife's native language is Spanish, USCIS even has a Spanish speaking line, wondered if all this was really necessary. for us. Ancient Arabic, maybe.

This question is a lot more complicated than it seems, first off, does the USA even recognize marriages in your home country? This is all done by agreement with the 200 some odd different countries.

Next, how did you even get those green cards, assume through marriage, but maybe not. But if, you need all of those translated copies to even get that green card.

In regards to finding a certified translator, no such thing in this country. Wife is a medical translator, they have been talking about certification now for years, but so far, nothing has been done about it.

It's perfectly acceptable to do these translations yourself, wife did, you sign a statement that your translation is correct and to the best of your knowledge, and supply both a copy of the original and the translation. If you lie or don't do it correctly, you will be in deep trouble.

Thank you Nick for the answer. I did the translation last night and attached a certification of translation to it. Our N-400 package is now ready to be mailed out this morning.

We came through the GC lottery program from Hungary in 2003 and are since permanent residents. You are probably right that we already submitted a copy of the divorce decree during the GC process but could not recall or locate the translation part. I got married to the same guy two times and would really have no reason to lie about any part it...

Thank you again, you were very helpful and for the translation I used the wording from your last post.

Hi Menina, thank you for your answer. I just did the translation last night and attached a translator's certificate to it.

Timeline

Never even heard of the USCIS when I met my wife and her daughter, so took this very seriously scanning every document. See my immigration file is 189,363,174 bytes long, all data. On a LAN with three other computers, those files are stored in there as well, plus made CD backups.

Also an advantage to being bilingual, stepdaughter graduated with high honors in psychology, but so did many others. She just got a high paying job with hundreds of applicants, because she was the only one that was bilingual.

Your English is very good, should have no problems with either the English or civics test, good luck on your journey.

Never even heard of the USCIS when I met my wife and her daughter, so took this very seriously scanning every document. See my immigration file is 189,363,174 bytes long, all data. On a LAN with three other computers, those files are stored in there as well, plus made CD backups.

Also an advantage to being bilingual, stepdaughter graduated with high honors in psychology, but so did many others. She just got a high paying job with hundreds of applicants, because she was the only one that was bilingual.

Your English is very good, should have no problems with either the English or civics test, good luck on your journey.

Congrats on your stepdaughter's successful education and career. You must be very proud of her. I hope the same for my daughter. She was 13 when we arrived, did not speak English and today I bearly notice any accent. She is in college and will major in industrial design.

I really hope our journey to the citizenship will go smoothly. I am just getting familiar with the whole process and found this site very helpful.

• 2 years later...
Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

As everyone else said, the answer is more complicated.

And yes I believe you can translate it yourself but not everyone should do that.

I don't recommend rev because they had my bank statements denied due to the numbers being translated wrong.

For my divorce decree translation I used RushTranslate.com and would highly recommend them!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.