Emanuel+Lorraine

Filipina Fiancee lives & works in Bangkok, Thailand

28 posts in this topic

Emanuel+Lorraine, when Pui had her interview in Bangkok for her K1 visa when she was waiting in line she met a lady from the Philippines who was also interviewing for K1 visa. When she was interviewed the lady who was interviewing her asked her why she was interviewing in Thailand and she answered "because I live and work here". As the other posters said just make sure she has a work visa for Thailand and does not have a vistors visa. Just make sure she is confident in herself to explain she is legally in Thailand and it is where she lives and the emabssy should not have a problem. They are both friends now as we only live about an hour and half away from them. Good luck with every embassy you interview at.

Edit because I cannot type.

Edited by Andy and Pui

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Thanks for the reply. Originally we considered having her remain in Bangkok and do the K1 interview etc over there. But ultimately we decided that she will return home to Manila before that process. I'm sure they will ask about Thailand, considering we've spent our time together there and they will see the visa stamps on her passport. Yet this shouldn't change the process since her home (and home address) is in Manila.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the reply. Originally we considered having her remain in Bangkok and do the K1 interview etc over there. But ultimately we decided that she will return home to Manila before that process. I'm sure they will ask about Thailand, considering we've spent our time together there and they will see the visa stamps on her passport. Yet this shouldn't change the process since her home (and home address) is in Manila.

Make sure she gets her police reports before she leaves - it will be easier. Also, make sure she can document her whereabouts and where she was working, the entire time she was out of the Philippines, not just visa stamps. It may or may not be that big a deal, but it won't hurt to be prepared for the extra scrutiny.

Edited by The Patriot

Filed: Timeline

Make sure she gets her police reports* before she leaves - it will be easier. Also, make sure she can document her whereabouts and where she was working, the entire time she was out of the Philippines, not just visa stamps. It may or may not be that big a deal, but it won't hurt to be prepared for the extra scrutiny.

* Police Clearance Certificate

Make sure she gets her police reports before she leaves - it will be easier. Also, make sure she can document her whereabouts and where she was working, the entire time she was out of the Philippines, not just visa stamps. It may or may not be that big a deal, but it won't hurt to be prepared for the extra scrutiny.

Thank you again.

Yes, we will make sure she gets her Police Clearance in Bangkok...we'll wait a few more months at least, until we are closer to the NOA2 (so it's recent).

As far as documenting her whereabouts, while on her Thai Tourist visa she was visiting with her family (her parents and brother work there legally) - not sure how to document an extended vacation with her family - maybe a letter from her parents or her brother acknowledging her visit?

In terms of her most recent, B1 Thai work visa, this should be easy to document, she can provide pay stubs from her current employer and/or a statement from them indicating she was employed there.

Thanks for the continued advice...cheers!

Thanks for the information.

I doubt this would be an issue anymore...she's now gone from trainee to full time employee at a hospital in Bangkok and has a non-immigrant "B" working visa from Thailand, so should be ok.

This is awesome. I was afraid she won't get her working visa yet.

But I see you have decided to work with the Manila consulate instead. Good luck!

Awww, your post tugged at my heartstrings because my husband and I first met in person while I was vacationing in Thailand. :) i miss Bangkok! Oh, do shop in Platinum and bask in the abundance of delicious, inexpensive Thai street cuisine. :)

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi! I am in the same situation. I have been traveling around SE Asia and I have been living here in Thailand for quite a while. My fiance wrote my Thailand address on the application form and the agency we hired said I can do the interview here and there is no problem with that regardless of whether I am working here or not.

Hi! I am in the same situation. I have been traveling around SE Asia and I have been living here in Thailand for quite a while. My fiance wrote my Thailand address on the application form and the agency we hired said I can do the interview here and there is no problem with that regardless of whether I am working here or not.

Hey!

Good luck to you guys!

As I mentioned earlier, my fiancee will be traveling back to Manila to complete the K1 process. She's working now but will put in her 1 month notice as soon as we get our NOA2...and then head to the Philippines. She decided she wanted the chance to see friends & family in Manila before heading to the US.

I hope it goes smoothly for you in Thailand! Keep us posted!

Timeline

Hey!

Good luck to you guys!

As I mentioned earlier, my fiancee will be traveling back to Manila to complete the K1 process. She's working now but will put in her 1 month notice as soon as we get our NOA2...and then head to the Philippines. She decided she wanted the chance to see friends & family in Manila before heading to the US.

I hope it goes smoothly for you in Thailand! Keep us posted!

Is she going to do the interview there? Do you have to change the address stated in the form if you want the interview to be in Manila? I am thinking of doing the interview in the PH since I will be coming home for my friend's wedding. Our application was filed in July and that month is affected by the long delay. It has been almost 9 months now. My fiance is running out of patience and getting really mad about the processing. :(

Is she going to do the interview there? Do you have to change the address stated in the form if you want the interview to be in Manila? I am thinking of doing the interview in the PH since I will be coming home for my friend's wedding. Our application was filed in July and that month is affected by the long delay. It has been almost 9 months now. My fiance is running out of patience and getting really mad about the processing. :(

She will do the interview in Manila, yes. We put her Manila address on the forms because that's her "permanent" address; when she initially went to Thailand last year it was for vacation, but since her family lives there she ended up staying, getting a work permit and a job. But she doesn't have permanent residency in Thailand...I suppose she could have done it there just like you are, but she really wanted the chance to spend some time in the Philippines before leaving for here, so it made sense for her to complete the K1 process there.

Yes, the wait sucks indeed and it seems last summer's filers really got shafted. Stay strong, I'm sure it will be really soon, seems they are finally digging out of that hole. I assume you are with the CSC? I feel lucky we got Vermont and being a January filer we're really hoping for a June NOA2....we'll see.

Good luck!

Also, I'm not sure if you can change the address to one in the Philippines after the fact, especially since it was so long ago. It may delay the process more. But, I'm not sure about this, you'd be better off asking someone more knowledgeable than I...

Timeline

She will do the interview in Manila, yes. We put her Manila address on the forms because that's her "permanent" address; when she initially went to Thailand last year it was for vacation, but since her family lives there she ended up staying, getting a work permit and a job. But she doesn't have permanent residency in Thailand...I suppose she could have done it there just like you are, but she really wanted the chance to spend some time in the Philippines before leaving for here, so it made sense for her to complete the K1 process there.

Yes, the wait sucks indeed and it seems last summer's filers really got shafted. Stay strong, I'm sure it will be really soon, seems they are finally digging out of that hole. I assume you are with the CSC? I feel lucky we got Vermont and being a January filer we're really hoping for a June NOA2....we'll see.

Good luck!

I see that. Well, good luck to both of you. I guess I will just go to Manila for a short visit and process some documents then come back to Thailand to do the interview. Let me know when you receive your NOA2. We thought it was a better move to file the application at the CSC as we have read some stories that the processing at Vermont is slower but it turned out otherwise. I think we just got unlucky.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.