Emanuel+Lorraine

Filipina Fiancee lives & works in Bangkok, Thailand

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post, there appears to be a wealth of knowledge in these forums, and I want to thank anyone who helps in advance.

Here is the situation, and my questions:

As of now, she only has a tourist visa in Thailand, but her employer is in the process of securing a work permit (Thailand work visa?) for her.

She hopes to continue to live and work in Bangkok as we go through this process and await her k-1.

My questions are:

Will her being a Filipina but residing in Thailand cause any complications? Or, will she be able to work through the US Consulate in Bangkok without any complications, assuming she has her valid employment papers (and isn't there just as a "tourist")? She has already been living there since June of this year. In the I-129f, it states under the question "Your fiancee will apply for a visa abroad at the American Embassy or Consulate at:" the following: NOTE: (Designation of a US Embassy or consulate outside the country of your fiancee's last residence does not guarantee acceptance for processing by that foreign post. Acceptance is at the discretion of the designated embassy or consulate.) The preceding phrase worried me, I wouldn't want to wait 5+ months only to discover that the consulate in Bangkok won't consider the k-1 packet.

Also, is there any significant difference in wait times between the US Consulate in Bangkok vs. the one in Manila?

I'm also considering that I may have no choice but to designate her case to the US Consulate in Bangkok, because when I file the i-129, it requests her address. Her address of course is currently in Thailand, not Philippines, so if we can't provide them a valid Philippines address for her, I may have no choice in the matter.

Aside from the complications mentioned above, we both fit all eligibility requirements. I won't have any issues supporting her, no criminal history, neither of us have previous marriages or any children. Also, her English is perfect and she is well qualified to eventually work here in the US; she is an RN and worked at St Luke's in Manila for about 3 years before moving to Bangkok.

I have known her since July of this year, and spent two weeks in Thailand with her (I just returned last Sunday, December 9th). Also, I already have plane tickets to visit her again in Bangkok for 10 days, I'm leaving on February 14th. Although we already fully intend to marry, it is during this trip that we will make our engagement "official" with her family, as well as my proposal.

Thanks again for any insight that anyone can give!

Edited by Emanuel+Lorraine

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should have no issues going through the embassy in Thailand, I have read of others that have gone through other embassies with their Filipina fiancee recently hopefully they will chime in also.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you, Hank. I hope others do have similar experiences that they can share.

My wife is a Filipina and was living in Singapore when we met. We did the whole process through the US Embassy in Singapore with zero problems. She came to the US straight from Singapore. She never went back to the Philippines during the process. I realize this is not Thailand but it should be similar. The only problem I have heard of can be with her employer, Some employers when they find out that their employee is going through the process may terminate her employment due to the fact they know they will not be around very long. If it gets terminated and you cannot find other employment you will have to transfer the case back to the Philippines. This could cause a delay however it is not a show stopper. We were lucky in that area my wife had worked for her employer for eight years and they let her stay through the entire process. Good luck!!!

K1 Visa
08.04.10 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center
08.12.10 NOA1
08.18.10 Touched
10.03.10 Touched
01.27.11 NOA2 Notification Text & Email
02.01.11 NVC Received
02.03.11 Received NOA2 Hard Copy by Mail
02.03.11 NVC Sent case to US Embassy in Singapore
02.09.11 Consulate Received
02.10.11 Consulate sent out Packet 3
02.16.11 Packet 3 Received
02.18.11 Medical Appointment (Passed)
02.22.11 Sent in Packet 3 checklist
02.22.11 Waiting on Interview date
03.16.11 Interview Scheduled (Approved)
04.07.11 Visa in Hand
04.14.11 Arrive in USA (POE Chicago / No problems)
04.21.11 Civil Wedding
AOS
05.18.11 Filed AOS/EAD/AP
05.24.11 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP Received Hard Copy 05.31.11
06.15.11 AOS case transferred to CSC Received hard Copy 06.18.11.
06.20.11 Biometrics done today as a walk in. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 07.12.2011)
07.23.11 EAD Card/Document Production & AP Post Decision Activity
07.28.11 Second notification on EAD Card / Document Production
07.29.11 Third notification on EAD Card / Approval (Still no word on AP.)
08.01.11 Received EAD/AP Combo card in the mail.
08.04.11 Email Notification that GC is approved. (This came one year to the day that I sent the K1 package in.)
08.08.11 Received Welcome letter in the mail.
08.10.11 Greencard in Hand (It was actually dated 07.29.11 my wife's birthday!!)
ROC
05.23.13 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center
05.31.13 Check Cleared (We are on our way!)
05.29.13 NOA1 (Received 06.03.13)
06.11.13 Early Bio Metrics done today. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 06.28.2013)
09.27.13 Transferred to CSC for quicker processing

10.29.13 Approved

11.06.13 10 Year Greenscard in Hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In this case I'm not sure how her employer would even find out that she is going through a fiancé visa application. I would expect dealing with the Thai embassy would be very similar to the Manila one, probably both are considered higher fraud countries, but in your case it sounds like a pretty easy application. My fiancé lived in Thailand before we met, we had to procure a police report from Bangkok, and that was about it.

The one thing you need to be prepared is that she'll likely have to make a trip back to Manila at some point, because you are going to need several documents from the Philippines. The Cenomar and NSO Birth Certificate can luckily be ordered online. Not sure if they will ship to Thailand, but she could have them shipped to someone in Manila who could forward them on. But she's also going to need her NBI Clearance, and possibly she will need to appear in person to order it, and maybe to pick it up. I'm not sure that can be done remotely.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You do not need to appear in person to order an NBI, you can order it online even.

https://nbi-online.com/file/NBIOnlineClearanceApplication.pdf?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is she working as an RN in Thailand? If she is she may need that employer as a reference. I think they have to leave that job in good standing or it could effect their license. I have a friend that had a Filipina Fiance in Singapore and she waited till she had her VISA in hand and then she gave the required 1 month notice and then came to the USA. My wife was working as domestic worker so she lived with her employer. Since mail came to the house from the US Embassy and she ocassionally needed to ask for time off to get police reports etc. (Her only day off was Sunday.) She just told her employer up front. Good Luck!

K1 Visa
08.04.10 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center
08.12.10 NOA1
08.18.10 Touched
10.03.10 Touched
01.27.11 NOA2 Notification Text & Email
02.01.11 NVC Received
02.03.11 Received NOA2 Hard Copy by Mail
02.03.11 NVC Sent case to US Embassy in Singapore
02.09.11 Consulate Received
02.10.11 Consulate sent out Packet 3
02.16.11 Packet 3 Received
02.18.11 Medical Appointment (Passed)
02.22.11 Sent in Packet 3 checklist
02.22.11 Waiting on Interview date
03.16.11 Interview Scheduled (Approved)
04.07.11 Visa in Hand
04.14.11 Arrive in USA (POE Chicago / No problems)
04.21.11 Civil Wedding
AOS
05.18.11 Filed AOS/EAD/AP
05.24.11 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP Received Hard Copy 05.31.11
06.15.11 AOS case transferred to CSC Received hard Copy 06.18.11.
06.20.11 Biometrics done today as a walk in. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 07.12.2011)
07.23.11 EAD Card/Document Production & AP Post Decision Activity
07.28.11 Second notification on EAD Card / Document Production
07.29.11 Third notification on EAD Card / Approval (Still no word on AP.)
08.01.11 Received EAD/AP Combo card in the mail.
08.04.11 Email Notification that GC is approved. (This came one year to the day that I sent the K1 package in.)
08.08.11 Received Welcome letter in the mail.
08.10.11 Greencard in Hand (It was actually dated 07.29.11 my wife's birthday!!)
ROC
05.23.13 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center
05.31.13 Check Cleared (We are on our way!)
05.29.13 NOA1 (Received 06.03.13)
06.11.13 Early Bio Metrics done today. No problems. (The actual appointment was scheduled for 06.28.2013)
09.27.13 Transferred to CSC for quicker processing

10.29.13 Approved

11.06.13 10 Year Greenscard in Hand

Thank you all for your replies!

In this case I'm not sure how her employer would even find out that she is going through a fiancé visa application. I would expect dealing with the Thai embassy would be very similar to the Manila one, probably both are considered higher fraud countries, but in your case it sounds like a pretty easy application. My fiancé lived in Thailand before we met, we had to procure a police report from Bangkok, and that was about it.

The one thing you need to be prepared is that she'll likely have to make a trip back to Manila at some point, because you are going to need several documents from the Philippines. The Cenomar and NSO Birth Certificate can luckily be ordered online. Not sure if they will ship to Thailand, but she could have them shipped to someone in Manila who could forward them on. But she's also going to need her NBI Clearance, and possibly she will need to appear in person to order it, and maybe to pick it up. I'm not sure that can be done remotely.

The more we research this, the more it seems that it's likely she will return to Manila at some point. Maybe we'll work with the consulate in Manila instead, but she can continue working in Thailand for at least a few more months before she returns.

Is she working as an RN in Thailand? If she is she may need that employer as a reference. I think they have to leave that job in good standing or it could effect their license. I have a friend that had a Filipina Fiance in Singapore and she waited till she had her VISA in hand and then she gave the required 1 month notice and then came to the USA. My wife was working as domestic worker so she lived with her employer. Since mail came to the house from the US Embassy and she ocassionally needed to ask for time off to get police reports etc. (Her only day off was Sunday.) She just told her employer up front. Good Luck!

Although she is an RN, her job isn't: she still works in the medical field though, at a hospital, but her job is more of a consulting job with a unit that utilizes her English writing and speaking proficiency. She does want to give ample notice and leave in good standing, but it won't likely affect her future endeavors as an RN in the US too much. She'll need to test for a new license over here, too. I know we won't want to wait a whole month after she gets her VISA though :)

Thanks again for the help & well wishes, everyone.

• 1 month later...

Our petition has been accepted, we received the NOA1 approval on the 16th! Now, we wait...

Plus, I'll be in Thailand to visit her in less than 3 weeks - yay! Can't wait!!!

We decided to go with the Manila embassy for K1...she'll plan to go back to the PI for the rest of the process once we receive our NOA2.

Thanks for the information.

I doubt this would be an issue anymore...she's now gone from trainee to full time employee at a hospital in Bangkok and has a non-immigrant "B" working visa from Thailand, so should be ok.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.