photomile

The "Where can I get X in the USA" thread

27 posts in this topic

This is a great thread!

My guy is lucky because we have a World Market right near here and there's a midwestern grocery chain, Meijer, that has a "British" section. We've gotten some wheetabix, treacles and marmalade from there :)

There's also this store: http://spencerfoods.com/ which I believe ships elsewhere :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have you been to British Aisles in Nashua NH? It is a big warehouse that sells British goods. They are geared up to sell in bulk but they let you wander round and buy whatever quantity you want. It doesn't have any prices displayed tho. We picked a lot of stuff and took it back to the office and when they told us the prices we put a lot of it back.

I had heard of this place a couple of years ago, there are some English food I miss, but I won't pay ridiculas prices for them! The only things I was really missing was heinz baked beans and chocolate. The beans I found and I'm slowly weening myself off the chocolate :)

Thanks for telling me about this place, if I'm ever that way I'll stop in and take a look!

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

• 1 month later...

There is a wonderful shop in Cleveland called Gaelic Imports with all kinds of goodies. Giant Eagle has a small selection of imported British foods such as biscuits, choc bars, condiments. Also local drugstores have been selling Cadbury's candy bars.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

We got Ribena in Kroger, but I can't remember if they had Orange Squash too.

For those in Texas with HEB, my husband likes the HEB brand cheese called Artisan Cheddar found in the deli section of bigger stores. It's the best substitute for real English cheddar he's found and more affordable than imports. Second best is Boar's Head Black Wax Cheddar found in many stores with deli sections. We tasted every cheddar at Kroger one day. Seriously! It wasn't very busy and the deli manager was super nice.

I agree HEB is good. We have two pretty large HEB Markets near us, on 290 in northwest Houston, and they have a good international aisle. The only thing we've actually bought from the British section is Bird's Custard, but they have good quality tea elsewhere in the store, and their cheese is mostly good. That said, we also go to the Costco near Willowbrook Mall, and our preferred cheddar comes from there, plus we found some excellent sticky toffee pudding, which my wife liked so much that she made some herself for Thanksgiving.

I have still yet to find a normal grocery store selling back bacon, though.

Edited by Owen_London

If anyone visits or lives in Portland, there's a great candy/fountain shop called Cosmic that stocks a lot of international and other hard-to-find candy. My husband and I went there yesterday for a surprise date night. He was literally a kid in a candy store. :lol: They have Crunchie bars, Picnic, and other UK-based Cadbury products.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

I agree HEB is good. We have two pretty large HEB Markets near us, on 290 in northwest Houston, and they have a good international aisle. The only thing we've actually bought from the British section is Bird's Custard, but they have good quality tea elsewhere in the store, and their cheese is mostly good. That said, we also go to the Costco near Willowbrook Mall, and our preferred cheddar comes from there, plus we found some excellent sticky toffee pudding, which my wife liked so much that she made some herself for Thanksgiving.

I have still yet to find a normal grocery store selling back bacon, though.

I haven't seen back bacon anywhere. A friend told me she found some in the freezer case in a Fiesta store. There's a British Internet mail order store in the Woodlands called Goodwood's. http://www.goodwoods.com/ It's not set up like a retail store, but you can pop in and buy anything off the shelf or from the freezer. They carry bacon. They do sales of 15% off everything pretty often as well as other markdowns. You can also do an online order and in the comments section say you will pick up locally. They deduct the shipping costs before charging your card. You also don't have to do the minimum frozen orders when it's not being shipped.

We just bought cheap tea at HEB. It's Tetley British Blend and was $2.99 for 80 bags (I think). Goodwood's often puts the PG Tips on sale.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

I haven't seen back bacon anywhere. A friend told me she found some in the freezer case in a Fiesta store. There's a British Internet mail order store in the Woodlands called Goodwood's. http://www.goodwoods.com/ It's not set up like a retail store, but you can pop in and buy anything off the shelf or from the freezer. They carry bacon. They do sales of 15% off everything pretty often as well as other markdowns. You can also do an online order and in the comments section say you will pick up locally. They deduct the shipping costs before charging your card. You also don't have to do the minimum frozen orders when it's not being shipped.

We just bought cheap tea at HEB. It's Tetley British Blend and was $2.99 for 80 bags (I think). Goodwood's often puts the PG Tips on sale.

If you want black pudding Nick.... you and I may have some business to conduct

I got some Heinz beans in my local Walmart the other day.

Just been looking on the World Market website, think I'm in heaven!

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

http://www.britishdelights.com/ Can be pricey but good selection. They also carry meats, dairy and other products.

British Delights

63 Power Road Unit 2

Westford MA 01886

(978)-392-0077

Email: sales@britishdelights.com

http://britishfood.com/

http://www.britishsupplies.com/ Small Store with tons packed in. The owner is very nice, but prices are a little high.

British Imports of Plymouth

1 Court Street

Plymouth, MA. 02360

Phone: (508) 747-2972

Many of the supermarkets in the Boston area carry English and Irish foods

http://www.foodireland.com/ Has decent prices on some stuff

http://www.tommymoloneys.com/ has meats, sauces, etc. BACON!!!

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Yep, thanks. I think I might persuade my wife to buy some for my birthday.

Edited by Owen_London

Yep, thanks. I think I might persuade my wife to buy some for my birthday.

Sign up for their Facebook page or emails and they will let you know of specials. It seems like almost every Saturday is 15% off total order. I did find out that to get the sales, you have to do an online order, even if going to be picked up. They had Crunchie bars for 65 cents on special offer, so I went in the store to buy some. Walk-ins pay regular price..$1.20 or so. So if it's on special, order online. They will box it up and notify you it's ready for pick-up. They hold your frozen order bagged up in a freezer. Then you look around and are tempted to buy even more when you get there. They usually have a discount shelf. We got some broken giant Cadbury Easter eggs with candy inside last year half price. Last night we had some half-priced Christmas pudding that must have been in our pantry almost a year. Who could tell? It looked like a large lump of tar to me, but hubby said it was good.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.