Patricialynne

K1 Interview Naples

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

My fiance is an Italian citizen and he had his interview today in Naples. He was not denied but given a white slip and they said he has 90 days to rectify the situation before denial- He told me that they said he would be a burden to the US government with the financial documentation we had provided. I lived with my fiance in Italy all of last year and was supported by my fiance while in Italy . I returned to the USA in August 2012 and found a job in September. My pay at the time was above the 125 percent of poverty level. I was offered another position the next month with a different company and took that job as the pay was better and had larger commissions. I make $500 per week gross at my new job. I included three pay stubs and a letter from the company stating my salary and that I was indeed a full time permanent employee. I also included a personal assistant job that I have that pays $200 a month with a letter from the person I work for stating the amount I make and that this position is also permanent. Total per year is $26,400. We also have a joint sponsor who has been employed with his company for 5 years and makes $60,000 plus per year,has a 401K, and real estate owned with his wife. He has two children and his wife works part time. We had all documents required from 2 years back 1040s, W2s, bank statements from 6 months back,and 2 recent pay stubs. My fiance also has his own home, he does not rent or live with his parents. How is it possible that my fiance was denied a Visa with this amount of money and the joint sponsors job stability? I am so upset as they told my fiance in other words,he needs a big sponsor who makes a lot of money in order for him to get his Visa. We tried to do everything right as the government would want us to and did not do the usual, get a tourist Visa and marry in the USA and apply for a spousal Visa. Now I wish i listened to those who warned me of this fiance Visa. Before getting an attorney I wanted to hear from people on this forum. Can anyone advise us on this devastating situation. Many thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Embassy/Consulate forum to K-1 Case Progress subforum; duplicate posts removed from view. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Seems weird to me that they could have denied him for no reason. Are there other people who depend on you for economical support, like kids? The amount you need to achieve varies depending on household size - check the poverty guidelines http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If you don't reach that amount, you need a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor must be domiciled in the US.

Good luck!

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

Just a little note to clarify more: you, the petitioner, are the sponsor. The beneficiary's finances cannot be considered for the K-1. Only people with domicile in the US can co-sponsor.

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

Could you provide the actual text of the denial or refusal form he received (was it a 221G or a flat denial, that could make a difference)?

Based on what you relate, it doesn't make sense to have denied him, so I'm wondering if it's possible you simply were missing a particular piece of proof (e.g. did you include your birth certificate and the birth certificate of the co-sponsor? were all forms signed? that kind of thing...) and that you might be able to resubmit the evidence to gain approval.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi sorry for the delay. I am the petitioner who will make an estimated 24K-26K a year. I included a letter from the company I work for on company letter head paper signed by the manager. It stated that my position was permanent and full time including my earnings per week. I also included 2 recent pay stubs. (I also have a small part time personal assistant job as well), however because I had only worked a few months here in the US and not a full calender year we in addition provided a joint sponsor. He has 2 children and his wife works part time. So total including my fiance that would be 5 people. The sponsor is a US citizen. He has worked at his company for 5 years. His gross adjusted income for 2011 was 65K. We submitted 1040s and w2s from 2010 and 2011. A recent pay stub. We also included a copy of his US passport and all necessary documentation- My fiance is in the military in Italy and has been so for 11 years. He has supported himself for more than 11 years and has never depended on anyone other than himself for support. I have contacted my local congressman and am considering hiring an attorney. We do not have much money but if we have to resort to the attorney then we will do so. I hope someone can help me understand this refusal. Or give some suggestions before we hire an attorney. By the way, the refusal was for public charge and it was on a white sheet of paper. Thanks for any help or guidance you can send our way!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi sorry for the delay. I am the petitioner who will make an estimated 24K-26K a year. I included a letter from the company I work for on company letter head paper signed by the manager. It stated that my position was permanent and full time including my earnings per week. I also included 2 recent pay stubs. (I also have a small part time personal assistant job as well), however because I had only worked a few months here in the US and not a full calender year we in addition provided a joint sponsor. He has 2 children and his wife works part time. So total including my fiance that would be 5 people. The sponsor is a US citizen. He has worked at his company for 5 years. His gross adjusted income for 2011 was 65K. We submitted 1040s and w2s from 2010 and 2011. A recent pay stub. We also included a copy of his US passport and all necessary documentation- My fiance is in the military in Italy and has been so for 11 years. He has supported himself for more than 11 years and has never depended on anyone other than himself for support. I have contacted my local congressman and am considering hiring an attorney. We do not have much money but if we have to resort to the attorney then we will do so. I hope someone can help me understand this refusal. Or give some suggestions before we hire an attorney. By the way, the refusal was for public charge and it was on a white sheet of paper. Thanks for any help or guidance you can send our way!!

The same exact thing happened to my fiance today. I have never had any government funding either. The US based co-sponsor makes 66K I have three years of 24K and 24,500 in the savings (and I'm not paying rent). Still not enough. Despite being enough according to the instructions and the law. Also, I tried to clarify with the consulate through email to make sure we were prepared but they didn't respond to any emails. We are in the same boat. Unfortunately, they denied us even when we showed more evidence. I'm not sure we even have a chance now. In fact I'm sure we don't have a chance. We've wasted over $1,000 on this only to be told we don't have enough money (even if the regulations say we do).

Also, I have worked issuing student visas before, so people who say that it's a hard job and it's our fault for not being prepared, and have denied visas because they did not meet the guidelines. This is a completely different situation. This is not just complaining because we don't get what we want but something that affects our families and lives. The US has a reputation for adhering to regulations and it makes me sad when I see whatever kind of policy this is happening. Is there is a quota for immigration and are visas being denied for another reason but they just want to continue collecting fee money?

Obviously I need guidance too. Sorry for the rant.

Timeline

Correction for last paragraph...I'm new, so I'm not sure how to edit posts...***

**Also, I have worked issuing student visas before, so people who say that it's a hard job and it's our fault for not being prepared, I completely understand that visas have to be denied when they do not meet the guidelines. This is a completely different situation. This is not just complaining because we don't get what we want but something that effects our families and lives. The US has a reputation for adhering to regulations and it makes me sad when I see whatever kind of policy this is happening. Is there a quota for immigration and are visas being denied for another reason but they just want to continue collecting fee money?**

Obviously I need guidance too. Sorry for the rant.

Timeline

Could you provide the actual text of the denial or refusal form he received (was it a 221G or a flat denial, that could make a difference)?

Based on what you relate, it doesn't make sense to have denied him, so I'm wondering if it's possible you simply were missing a particular piece of proof (e.g. did you include your birth certificate and the birth certificate of the co-sponsor? were all forms signed? that kind of thing...) and that you might be able to resubmit the evidence to gain approval.

If it was something specific like that why wouldn't they just tell us that was all that was missing? Especially if we asked?

Timeline

If it was something specific like that why wouldn't they just tell us that was all that was missing? Especially if we asked?

We hired an attorney..this is clearly unacceptable....if necessary I will go to our congressman...

We had all necessary docs there is NO reason my fiance should have been denied his visa...unbelievable...

Timeline

I know... We spent soooo much time and money just to be told that we didn't have enough resources... I even wrote a letter with all my documents to the officer breaking down how I could have supported my fiancé for at least 5 years easily on what I have now(excluding income or cosponsor). I'm sure they didn't take the time to read it of course...please keep us posted. I'm meeting with USCIS in a few days to try to get some information on how this could have happened. I don't think the officer took the time to read through everything and consider each case.

• 10 months later...
Timeline

Patricialynne,

How did it end up going?

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.