jazzly

How long it will take to issue visa and getting passport back?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, once again, that would be me.

I'm the USC.

ok...google away,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

ok...google away,lol

Unfortunately, that is not good advice. There are congressmen in the house, and congressmen in the senate

However I saw in another thread someone mention you should contact your state senior senator.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Unfortunately, that is not good advice. There are congressmen in the house, and congressmen in the senate

However I saw in another thread someone mention you should contact your state senior senator.

Well there you go. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just not the one needing the info. Some just sity and wait and wait.... squeaky wheel gets the grease. You as a American citizen should know ur govt better than me, and know who to contact.

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Your congress person is the person you've elected to be in the US House of Representatives, or your Senator.

I am probably one of the few people who had a quick turnaround with a passport in Montreal. Mailed it on a Tuesday and had it back in hand with a visa in it the following Tuesday. No holidays and we had already gotten out congressman involved so that may explain why they were so efficient. Good luck!

Timeline

It shouldn't really matter which one you contact, just choose one from your district and go to their website. Generally they will have a section specifically for asking for their help with a government agency, there is a form to fill out and you fill it out and fax it in.

Timeline

Your congress person is the person you've elected to be in the US House of Representatives, or your Senator.

I am probably one of the few people who had a quick turnaround with a passport in Montreal. Mailed it on a Tuesday and had it back in hand with a visa in it the following Tuesday. No holidays and we had already gotten out congressman involved so that may explain why they were so efficient. Good luck!

Actually, I believe a senator would be in the Senate, not the house of representatives.

It shouldn't really matter which one you contact, just choose one from your district and go to their website. Generally they will have a section specifically for asking for their help with a government agency, there is a form to fill out and you fill it out and fax it in.

Yeap, found it, good 'ol mister ####### durbin.

And there's a form on the website to fill out.

His name sounds vaguely familial so he's prob been there for a while! lol

Yup... joined in 1996. Oh he's a fancy man! he's second in command of the Senate.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Oi. Someone in another thread royally confused me.

The correct phrasing of the person to look for is the Congressional District Representative which IS in the house of reps but is most definitely NOT the senior state senator

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

• 11 months later...
Timeline

any updates? jazzly - do you mind telling me how long it took once you sent your passport back in?

we sent in the passport, new medical and new police certificate 2 weeks ago and we haven't heard anything yet. i know 2 weeks is nothing since we've been in AP for 10 months, but we were hoping for a miracle that they would actually finish this up quickly.

thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal is very slow, when I sent my passports back to them it took 6 weeks. There really is no telling how long it will take.

Moderator Hat on

~~As this thread is almost a year old I'm closing the thread since you have another thread with your question already started. ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.