Bad choices

Married on a work visa

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is that true that if I get denied for a tn visa it will stop me from entering the USA in the future ?

Again it all comes down to the POE officer. I'm sure on there screen they can see if you have had A TN in the past and/or been denied entry! And having a spouse to some POE officers increases their spidy senses,lol. Always bring strong ties with you, that you will be returning to Canada.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to all for there input . I traveled to the border today to plead my case . I walked up handed him my tn application that my company lawers had put together for me . Before he open the binder I said to his amazement I was married toa USC and had twins on the way . At that point I was asked to go sit down thinking the worst. After about ten mins he and his supervisor called me up to counter and started asking about my marriage (how long, where we wed ect) .at that time they opened my binder and looked it over saying it was a very strong case . He asked about my plans and my ties to Canada . I showed him that we had filed yesterday for her to be able to come to Canada . They said that people marry all the the time not thinking of the issues about imagration ect. He actually said that most people try and jump the line by marrying and adjusting status and never leaving the USA . He said It was legal but a loop hole . I explained to the officers that I jus wanted to be there for my family and have a proven trac record that I will leave the USA every 4 weeks for my days off . He told me that most people try and pull the wool over there eyes later to be banned from the the USA for life for committing fraud(thanks teddy b ) long story short I recieved my visa and can keep my family together . He told me to not adjust status in the USA , wait for her to recieve Canadian residency then if we would like in the future from Canada apply for a cr1 . The officers are human to , tell the truth . The officers said to me that they are protecting the country not trying to keep family's apart. Once again I would like to thank teddy b for the fast responses and giving the the advice not to hide the fact that I am married . I would not have been asked but it would have been a big problem in the future .

Thanks to all for there input . I traveled to the border today to plead my case . I walked up handed him my tn application that my company lawers had put together for me . Before he open the binder I said to his amazement I was married toa USC and had twins on the way . At that point I was asked to go sit down thinking the worst. After about ten mins he and his supervisor called me up to counter and started asking about my marriage (how long, where we wed ect) .at that time they opened my binder and looked it over saying it was a very strong case . He asked about my plans and my ties to Canada . I showed him that we had filed yesterday for her to be able to come to Canada . They said that people marry all the the time not thinking of the issues about imagration ect. He actually said that most people try and jump the line by marrying and adjusting status and never leaving the USA . He said It was legal but a loop hole . I explained to the officers that I jus wanted to be there for my family and have a proven trac record that I will leave the USA every 4 weeks for my days off . He told me that most people try and pull the wool over there eyes later to be banned from the the USA for life for committing fraud(thanks teddy b ) long story short I recieved my visa and can keep my family together . He told me to not adjust status in the USA , wait for her to recieve Canadian residency then if we would like in the future from Canada apply for a cr1 . The officers are human to , tell the truth . The officers said to me that they are protecting the country not trying to keep family's apart. Once again I would like to thank teddy b for the fast responses and giving the the advice not to hide the fact that I am married . I would not have been asked but it would have been a big problem in the future .

Congratulations man! And you're welcome! Now you can take a deep breath and be there for your wife and children. :thumbs:

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Amazing what telling the truth,being polite and being prepared does,lol congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awesome news! I was just reading your initial post thinking how horrible it would have been for your wife to take care of twin babies without you. I'm glad it worked out. All the best to you and the family :luv:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great News for you!!!

It was already mentioned in this thread that its not a problem saying that you are married to a USC when you cross the border... and that goes for going into Canada as well.

I always told the CA officer that I was going to visit my wife in Calgary, and it seemed to actually expidite the process... they immediately stop drilling me with questions about why I am coming in.

The bottom line is to be prepared to prove you are going to leave the country you are visiting. That is really all they are looking for on the immigration front.

IOW it is perfectly okay to Visit your wife in the USA..... key word is Visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.