Dani frank

Hi all i wish someone can help me.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi i married my ex wife in march 2006 and moved to usa in 2007 everything was fine but after i got my 10 years gc i found out that she was cheating i work two jobs so she left me for someone else and she filed for divorce 6 month later after i got my 10 years gc and i recieved my final divorce papers from court after 3 month .. iv been here for 5 years and i applied for N-400 as divorced and am single right now... i want to know if this divorce will hurt my case i was married to her when i got my 10 years gc and we were almost married for 4 years ...

what should i do? do u think immigration will give me hard time or question me about my ex wife and why she divorce me ? i mean common! thats life am sure it happens for alot of you guys.. so please tell me what is the steps :) i got my NOA notice paper and going soon to do my finger prints anyone got same case?or can help thanks alot all god bless you!

Honestly, I do not think that this is going to cause troubles. When lifting the conditions, you two had to prove that the marriage was bona fide. You apparently did prove and got the 10-yr GC. And things happen in life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you're applying on 5 years with the unconditional GC you should be fine.

My family came here on my spouse's employer's sponsorship, we all got unconditional GC and several years later, we divorced. I'm applying on 5+ years GC (my ex is a GC holder too, not a citizen of the US).

I inquired before I filed, to see if it would be an issue and was told no, since I was filing on 5 years and had an unconditional GC.

You should be fine, in my opinion.

Filed: Timeline

OP, based on what I've read on here you should have no issues.

Hopefully you can provide proof that you did not marry just for GC and have/had joint assets like bank accounts, pictures, etc

Being single is cool isn't it? I'm enjoying the last few weeks of being single.

Timeline

Honestly, I do not think that this is going to cause troubles. When lifting the conditions, you two had to prove that the marriage was bona fide. You apparently did prove and got the 10-yr GC. And things happen in life.

I did prove befor my 2 years GC expires we send all papers tax rent pictures etcc and she was living with me at home and still married ... and they gave me my 10 years GC and approved me and things didnt go well six month later and she decided to leave me and she filed for divorce... so i already proved marriage was bona fide I loved her and we stayed married for 4 years.. so anyone can tell me or explain whats going to happen thanks

Timeline

OP, based on what I've read on here you should have no issues.

Hopefully you can provide proof that you did not marry just for GC and have/had joint assets like bank accounts, pictures, etc

Being single is cool isn't it? I'm enjoying the last few weeks of being single.

do u think they going to ask for tax papers rent lease in both names but i sent all of these documents 2 years ago and everything was fine .. and they approved me any how i still have all documents with me all bills etcc.. but she is already out of my life and she left me what do u want me to do? thats life i cannot stop her and force her to be with me .. and i waited 2 more years and i filed so do u have any more info you can provide me thanks alot..

i hope so..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It would be a good idea for you to read "The Guide to Naturalization" - a handbook put out by USCIS. Here is the link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=598da2f39b1ab210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=598da2f39b1ab210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Since you are applying for naturalization based upon 5 years as a permanent resident, and not 3 years as a permanent resident married to a US citizen, your marriage status is not relevant to your naturalization process. The Guide above will tell you what documents you need to submit. You will need income tax returns or transcripts (go with transcripts - they are free from the IRS and easier to send). Depending on your circumstances, there are different documents you need to send in addition to the copies of your green card, the tax transcripts, passport style photographs, a copy of your divorce decree and the biographical form.

When you file the petition you will receive a letter acknowledging receipt, followed in about a month by a biometrics appointment letter. When you go to the biometrics you will receive a booklet with a CD in it that you can use to study for the Naturalization Test. 2 to 3 months later (this varies) you will receive a letter inviting you to an interview at your local USCIS office where you will bring the originals of all copies you sent with the application, will be asked up to 10 questions from the Citizenship Test (if you get the first 6 right they won't ask any more as you only need 60% to pass), you will be asked to read a sentence in English and you will be asked to write a sentence in English. They will ask you a series of questions that are on the form you sent in and you will answer yes or no. It is extremely unlikely they will ask you anything about your marriage and the circumstances that led to its dissolution. If they do, you just tell them the truth, that you wife cheated and then filed for divorce. As you are applying based upon 5 years as a permanent resident and not 3 years, it is unlikely they will ask you any questions at all.

So, do some homework now. Read the Guide in the link above. Read the N-400 form and the instructions. When you are ready, collect the documents, fill out the form and send them in with your check.

This is actually one of the easiest and least involved part of the whole immigration process. They don't ask for a lot of documents. Just make sure you study the test questions so you get the answers right. Good lluck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.