soundedguy

Charges while ROC

4 posts in this topic

I got into an arguement with my wife and grabbed her by the hand, so she called the police and they arrested me and charged me with minor domestic violence. I have filed for my ROC since April and awaiting response or approval. My wife regretted calling the police and will be dropping the charges tomorrow or anytime soon. My question is, how does this affect my ROC and would this affect me from getting approved for N400 when I file in April?

Appreciate you reading and commenting. Thanks in advance.

Naturalization

04/08/2013 - N-400 Mailed

07/22/2013 - N-400 Recommended for approval

08/13/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Officially a US citizen.

08/20/2013 - I-130 for Mom mailed

09/02/2013 - NOA received

03/04/2014 - I-130 Approval

I'm surprised not to have read any response by now.

Naturalization

Officially a US citizen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, domestic violence is a big deal with immigration. Even though she will be "dropping the charges" the arrest record still exists and you still need to disclose it. Even though she's withdrawing it, she still called the police, and they can see the withdrawal not of you being innocent, but possibly as you "convincing her it's in her best interest" to withdraw... do you see what I'm saying?

How it affects you, only time will tell. You need to admit the arrest, you will need a copy of the arrest record and the results (fine, jail time, withdrawn etc). Certain crimes you need to wait a certain period of time before you're eligible. I suggest a consultation with an immigration attorney to go over the specifics of your case. Often you can have the first hour for free.

Well, domestic violence is a big deal with immigration. Even though she will be "dropping the charges" the arrest record still exists and you still need to disclose it. Even though she's withdrawing it, she still called the police, and they can see the withdrawal not of you being innocent, but possibly as you "convincing her it's in her best interest" to withdraw... do you see what I'm saying?

How it affects you, only time will tell. You need to admit the arrest, you will need a copy of the arrest record and the results (fine, jail time, withdrawn etc). Certain crimes you need to wait a certain period of time before you're eligible. I suggest a consultation with an immigration attorney to go over the specifics of your case. Often you can have the first hour for free.

I do sincerely and honestly appreciate your response. We are back living together and actually she didn't press on any charge on me but the police officer did. She really do regret it and I have heard she could send the DA a letter telling them she overreacted and didn't intend on going too far and won't be showing up on the court if that helps my case. I'm new to these and need help.

Naturalization

Officially a US citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.