BlackWolf

Heathrow Passport Control

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The last time I went to visit my husband (who was at the time my boyfriend) it was in April, 2012 and it was the first time I was meeting him in person. The woman who took my passport was very suspicious of me and asked me a load of questions and I honestly thought I was going to be denied entry but, reluctantly, she let me thru. I am a US citizen and my husband is a British Citizen. We are still awaiting our NOA2 but I am headed to England to stay with him for 2 months. I have a letter from my current employer stating that I am taking my vacation days to go to England and will have my job when I get back. I also own a small business, which I will be bringing my business license as proof of that along with my car registration, proof that I have a child in the US whom I fully support (she will be staying with her father and my sister while I am gone) as well as proof that I can support myself while I am in the UK. My mother in law is also writing a letter stating that she will be responsible for my stay in the UK and will provide full room and board for me. We do not lie and never have lied when we have gone thru passport control and I do not plan on lying when I enter the UK in December but when they ask what the reason for my visit is, I plan on saying 'i am visiting family for the holidays'. I have my in laws and husband number and they already are fully aware of all the ####### I had to go thru last time coming into the country so they are prepared to receive a phone call from border patrol if they require it.

Anyways, my question is, do you think I have anything to worry about when coming back to the UK? I will have about $1,000 with me to support myself while I am there since I am staying with his mom and dad. I also, of course, have my return ticket. Is there any advice you all could give me? I just don't want a repeat of last time, I will never forget that.

Thanks

Denise

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to U.K. regional subforum -- questions are not immigration-related and are country-specific. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

My fiancee had this issue. She was grilled; luckily, she brought a letter from her employer and all of the visa paperwork.

As soon as she said we were waiting for a VISA for me to immigrate to the US, she was waved through. The guy wasn't interested in looking once he knew she didn't want to stay.

So, my advice is: mention the fact that you're applying for a visa for him to come to the US and you're just visiting in the meantime as soon as you can.

Edited by mrettercap

Lincoln, UK to Dallas, TX

K-1 Journey!

zwto8r27m.png

05/08/12 Sent package off
05/10/12 Package received by USCIS
05/14/12 NOA1 Received
05/15/12 Touch
11/08/12 NOA2 Received!!
11/29/12 Medical
11/29/12 Sent the forms and readiness for interview notice off
01/08/13 Forms finally processed, waiting for interview date
01/18/13 Received interview date letter
02/08/13 Interview
02/08/13 APPROVED!!!!!
02/15/13 Visa arrives
02/21/13 POE! ♥

AOS

06/19/13 Sent package off
06/24/13 Package received by USCIS
06/25/13 NOA1 Received
07/08/13 Biometrics
02/21/14 Approved!

ROC

12/15/15 Sent package off
12/21/15 NOA1 Received

01/14/16 Biometrics

05/25/16 Approved!

Timeline

Thanks for that! I was wondering what it was going to be like when I told them that my husband has a visa petition in the works atm. Any other input is appreciated!

Thanks for that! I was wondering what it was going to be like when I told them that my husband has a visa petition in the works atm. Any other input is appreciated!

Carry the NOA1. They'll like that.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Carry the NOA1. They'll like that.

Yeah, when she came to visit me she brought the binder full of proof just because I need it here with me for the interview, so we had the whole petition plus more recent proofs if they wanted to look at it.

That's probably a bit overkill, though. NOA1 should suffice.

K-1 Journey!

zwto8r27m.png

05/14/12 NOA1 Received
05/15/12 Touch
11/08/12 NOA2 Received!!
11/29/12 Medical
02/08/13 Interview
02/08/13 APPROVED!!!!!
02/15/13 Visa arrives
02/21/13 POE! ♥

AOS

06/25/13 NOA1 Received
07/08/13 Biometrics
02/21/14 Approved!

ROC

12/21/15 NOA1 Received

01/14/16 Biometrics

05/25/16 Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

The most important thing is that you have a return ticket....and your prrof of being able to support yourself while there... If you show them that they most likely wont care about the rest... If you dont show them a return ticket(itinerary/receipt) they will put you through hell... I arrived at Heathrow in late june with intention to leave in 3 months, but wasnt sure exactly when... so I didnt buy return ticket... Long story short, I was held for 4 hours, interviewed, fingerprinted, photographed, luggage searched, documents checked... they eventually let me through, but it was not an experience I would like to have again!!!

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2012-05-15

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-08-08

NVC Received : 2012-08-10

NVC Left : 2012-08-15

Consulate Received : 2012-08-20

Packet 3 Received : ONLINE

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-09-18

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2012-10-25 Submit Review

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Timeline

Im glad you all told me to carry the NOA1 with me because I wouldn't have thought to do that. I just hope it is easier than last time because it would be terrible to be grilled again.

Timeline

Do you think a letter from my husband would be something that I could include. Sort of like a letter of invitation? I have the NOA1 stuff with me now, and once we get the NOA2, which will hopefully be soon, then I will have that too. Ugh, I just REALLY don't want to be grilled or detained when I get there. I mean, I know people stay for a lot longer than I am staying but still...I want to make sure I have everything that I need :)

I personally think proof of the pending visa (plus everything else you described) is enough. The visa stuff alone proves you have no intent to stay.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I brought a letter from my then fiance and his parents saying they'd support me if needs be. It was just in case. The thing they always liked seeing (other then return ticket) was my letter from my employer saying when I was returning to work. But I think you have plenty of proof you'll be returning.

But as for the NOA1, I showed it and the woman in immigration had no idea what it was. I tried to explain and she got annoyed with me and just said "leave in 2 weeks as you plan!" I know on my first trip, they held me for 2 hours and gave me a hard time and said to bring an itinerary next time. So I went out of my way and wrote down everything I planned to do on every other trip, never needed it but that's what they asked for.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I'm just worried because I will be staying there for almost 2 months. I already have a letter from my employer lined up, my business license from the business I own here in the US, my college enrollment papers stating I am a current student in good standing, etc. Ugh, I just realllly hope I don't get detained. I have anxiety and I think I would completely freak out if I had to be detained. :( I mean, my in laws are writing a letter as well. It's just that I really want them to be like 'ok' and waive me thru. although I know that probably wouldn't happen, at least I would be prepared if it did....ugh, Im really not looking forward to passport control...

I'm just worried because I will be staying there for almost 2 months. I already have a letter from my employer lined up, my business license from the business I own here in the US, my college enrollment papers stating I am a current student in good standing, etc. Ugh, I just realllly hope I don't get detained. I have anxiety and I think I would completely freak out if I had to be detained. :( I mean, my in laws are writing a letter as well. It's just that I really want them to be like 'ok' and waive me thru. although I know that probably wouldn't happen, at least I would be prepared if it did....ugh, Im really not looking forward to passport control...

My fiancee stayed for 2 months both times she came. They grilled her about her company, her boss, why her company would let her come over for so long, her fiancee, etc -- until she told them about the visa. As soon as it came out, the border official was like, oh, okay, go right on through. Have fun!

K-1 Journey!

zwto8r27m.png

05/14/12 NOA1 Received
05/15/12 Touch
11/08/12 NOA2 Received!!
11/29/12 Medical
02/08/13 Interview
02/08/13 APPROVED!!!!!
02/15/13 Visa arrives
02/21/13 POE! ♥

AOS

06/25/13 NOA1 Received
07/08/13 Biometrics
02/21/14 Approved!

ROC

12/21/15 NOA1 Received

01/14/16 Biometrics

05/25/16 Approved!

Timeline

Awesome. That sorta puts my mind at ease a bit then :) I am only coming with a carry on sized suitcase full of clothes and a large suitcase that will be checked that is going to be basically empty except for some christmas presents. That is so I can cram a lot of his stuff into it and take it back with me so we don't have to keep paying for multiple checked bags. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance had the same trouble on his first visit to me, we are currently planning on him coming here again for my birthday and have been so worried about having trouble again he almost didn't get in the first time and the thought of him being in my country and not getting to hold him is unbearable! I am so glad I found this thread, has put my mind at rest a little too :) Thanks for posting all this info guys and cheers to the OP for posting this query!! <3

good luck to you all! <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.