six7one

Post DOT Medical Exam

16 posts in this topic

My Fiancee will undergo her post DOT medical exam in a couple of weeks. My step-daughter will have to do her medical exam again as well as her first one has passed the validity period for the K2 application. Being that these will be their second exams, what documents are they required to bring and do they need more recent Passport-sized photos? Do we need to do the online SLEC registrations again?

The SLEC website does not make any reference to second exams. From what my fiancee recalls, SLEC just instructed her to show up. Anyone have any experience with a second exam after their DOT? I want them to be prepared for their second exams and not have to run out for any required document. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance VJers.

01/12/2013: POE
02/14/2013: MARRIED ON VALENTINE'S DAY!
03/18/2013: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail
03/28/2013: NOA - AOS, AP, EAD
04/25/2013: Biometrics

05/28/2013: RFEs for EADs and APs

06/17/2013: AOS Interviews. Approved

06/26/2013: Green Cards Received! (APs and EAD also received but not needed)

Removal of Conditions

===================================

03/25/2015: Mailed I-751

04/06/2015: NOA1

05/05/2015: Biometrics

07/27/2015: RFE

09/07/2015: RFE Response - Additional Evidence Sent

11/19/2015: Interview - APPROVED!

12/15/2016: Green Cards Issued!

What's DOT?

I think he's referring to "directly observed therapy." I'm thinking that his sweetheart must have had a positive TB culture at St. Lukes and had to undergo six months of daily medication. If so, she would have had to receive her daily medication at St. Lukes where the staff would have seen her actually take the medicine. Hence, DOT.

Now that her treatment is completed, it seems she's going back to St. Lukes for a follow up. I don't know whether St. Lukes is going to require another complete medical exam, or whether they are simply going to give her the immunizations and call it complete.

She should call St. Lukes and find out.

As Tahoma mentioned, DOT is "Directly Observed Therapy" which is basically medication administered daily at the St.Luke's Extension Clinic in Ermita. It is for treatment of TB or suspected TB.

I wanted to gather as much information as I can from anyone with experience. We will surely call SLEC prior to the exams to find out more, we just wish we had more to go on.

Edited by six7one

Removal of Conditions

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As Tahoma mentioned, DOT is "Directly Observed Therapy" which is basically medication administered daily at the St.Luke's Extension Clinic in Ermita. It is for treatment of TB or suspected TB.

I wanted to gather as much information as I can from anyone with experience. We will surely call SLEC prior to the exams to find out more, we just wish we had more to go on.

please note. correct me if I misunderstood. you were saying dot is for treatment of tb OR

SUSPECTED tb? after culture they will know if tb or not right? theres no more suspecious anymore? either tb or no tb. please clarify your statement.

please note. correct me if I misunderstood. you were saying dot is for treatment of tb OR

SUSPECTED tb? after culture they will know if tb or not right? theres no more suspecious anymore? either tb or no tb. please clarify your statement.

DOT is for the treatment of TB. However, in our case my Fiancee NEVER tested positive for TB in any of her sputum or cultures. In our case, her doctor in her province prescribed the TB medication because he saw a spot in her CXR. No sputums or culture tests in province. This was 2 months prior to her having her medical exam at SLEC. When she did her medical at SLEC they saw the same spot in her CXR and instructed her to do the Sputums and Culture tests (results negative). Because she told SLEC that she was on TB medication for 2 months (again never having tested positive), SLEC's instructed her to complete the treatment which was an additional 4 months via DOT.

Our case was somewhat unique, but it has happened to others as well. I don't want to mislead anyone that if TB "suspected" they will automatically have to do DOT. In my opinion, our case was unique and handled according to the circumstances. If they see any spot in the CXR, the patient will be required to take the tests. That is a certainty. SLEC will determine everyone circumstances from the CXR and evaluation and will require tests and DOT as needed. Hope this clarifies my statement as it pertains to our case. Its not intended as a guideline that SLEC follows.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

DOT is for the treatment of TB. However, in our case my Fiancee NEVER tested positive for TB in any of her sputum or cultures. In our case, her doctor in her province prescribed the TB medication because he saw a spot in her CXR. No sputums or culture tests in province. This was 2 months prior to her having her medical exam at SLEC. When she did her medical at SLEC they saw the same spot in her CXR and instructed her to do the Sputums and Culture tests (results negative). Because she told SLEC that she was on TB medication for 2 months (again never having tested positive), SLEC's instructed her to complete the treatment which was an additional 4 months via DOT.

Our case was somewhat unique, but it has happened to others as well. I don't want to mislead anyone that if TB "suspected" they will automatically have to do DOT. In my opinion, our case was unique and handled according to the circumstances. If they see any spot in the CXR, the patient will be required to take the tests. That is a certainty. SLEC will determine everyone circumstances from the CXR and evaluation and will require tests and DOT as needed. Hope this clarifies my statement as it pertains to our case. Its not intended as a guideline that SLEC follows.

why do they require your fiancee to continue her medication when in fact the culture is negative? and worst it was done through DOT? what kind of medications?

why do they require your fiancee to continue her medication when in fact the culture is negative? and worst it was done through DOT? what kind of medications?

She had to continue treatment which was started in her Province. SLEC followed the protocol as per the "CDC Immigration Requirements for TB Screening and Treatment." You can read more HERE. Just because Sputum and Culture tests are negative at the onset of the treatment does not necessarily mean a patient is in the clear. This is why regular sputum tests are done monthly during the DOT and a final culture is take at the end of treatment. In fact, our results for the final culture should be available next week.

DOT can only be done at SLEC. It is the only facility approved for US Immigration medical screening in the Philippines. As a side note, DOT is covered under the medical exam fees we paid. I heard that it is an additional cost on top of the medical exam for immigration to other countries.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our son is in the same exact boat as your fiance... He finishes treatment next week. Did the pulmonary doctor or anyone at st lukes what would happen at the last day of treatment and he final sputum. Do you still have to wait 2 months for results of the culture given the last tests all being negative? Thanks. Tony

Our son is in the same exact boat as your fiance... He finishes treatment next week. Did the pulmonary doctor or anyone at st lukes what would happen at the last day of treatment and he final sputum. Do you still have to wait 2 months for results of the culture given the last tests all being negative? Thanks. Tony

As you may already know sputum tests are done on certain days. It just happened that my Fiancee's sputum test was the week prior to her last DOT session. They took the samples for the culture during her last sputum test. After the last sputum, SLEC will do an evaluation and review the final CXRs. At that time they will inform the patient of their disposition. For my Fiancee, sputums were negative and the CXR showed improvement of the scar. So for us all we needed was to wait the 8 weeks for the culture results (will be done Nov 2). Unfortunately, SLEC will be closed so we will have to wait until next week. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Ok thanks for the reply. Our son is 5, and started treatment 2 months before SLEC medical. So, even though his SLEC exam showed negative xray, first culture/sputum, he STILL had to complete DOT for the remaining 4 months. He can't produce sputum since he's so young, so he has to do what's known as gastric lavage which is an in-patient, 2-3 day procedure at St luke's other clinic (costs about 750-1000$ out of pocket). He did it once already and they require a second time at the end of treatment. The nurse assured me when I was there for a few months that he did not have to wait for the culture and could meet an appointment time a week after his last day of treatment. We'll see how that goes. There is always a plan B. Anyway, thanks again.

As you may already know sputum tests are done on certain days. It just happened that my Fiancee's sputum test was the week prior to her last DOT session. They took the samples for the culture during her last sputum test. After the last sputum, SLEC will do an evaluation and review the final CXRs. At that time they will inform the patient of their disposition. For my Fiancee, sputums were negative and the CXR showed improvement of the scar. So for us all we needed was to wait the 8 weeks for the culture results (will be done Nov 2). Unfortunately, SLEC will be closed so we will have to wait until next week. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Ok thanks for the reply. Our son is 5, and started treatment 2 months before SLEC medical. So, even though his SLEC exam showed negative xray, first culture/sputum, he STILL had to complete DOT for the remaining 4 months. He can't produce sputum since he's so young, so he has to do what's known as gastric lavage which is an in-patient, 2-3 day procedure at St luke's other clinic (costs about 750-1000$ out of pocket). He did it once already and they require a second time at the end of treatment. The nurse assured me when I was there for a few months that he did not have to wait for the culture and could meet an appointment time a week after his last day of treatment. We'll see how that goes. There is always a plan B. Anyway, thanks again.

I hope that all turns out well. Our experiences are similar with the exception of the actual treatment. For adults, they must go in daily, take the medication witnessed by the DOT office and have their card signed. Needless to say, I had to relocate my family to Manila for 4 months just so my Fiancee could walk to SLEC everyday and swallow a pill.

Anyway, best regards and good luck with your visa experience.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

No, I think you misunderstood. The only difference was the sputum due to his need for the lavage.. We still had to go in every morning and get our card signed. He gets a syrup (which we have in our refrigerator for the weekends/holidays). Good luck with your faincee.

I hope that all turns out well. Our experiences are similar with the exception of the actual treatment. For adults, they must go in daily, take the medication witnessed by the DOT office and have their card signed. Needless to say, I had to relocate my family to Manila for 4 months just so my Fiancee could walk to SLEC everyday and swallow a pill.

Anyway, best regards and good luck with your visa experience.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

Does anyone know the process of SLEC after completing the TB dots medications? I will be done in July. I have normal x-ray, negative sputum and culture tests taken last week of May 2014. I transferred recently to their DOTS center after taking medications since January and will have my meds complted by 3rd week of July. I was started on anti-TB meds just based on prior 'susected granuloma' without having sputum and culture tests done. my series of x-rays every two months showed complete clearing of the granuloma in my lung, so as to say I have no traces or scar in my lung. SLEC staffs arent informing me of the next steps i need to undergo if i need a repeat sputum and culture tests after completion of meds because the tests they did were all normal. They also let me fill up DS 2054 form. what does it mean?

Does anyone know the process of SLEC after completing the TB dots medications? I will be done in July. I have normal x-ray, negative sputum and culture tests taken last week of May 2014. I transferred recently to their DOTS center after taking medications since January and will have my meds complted by 3rd week of July. I was started on anti-TB meds just based on prior 'susected granuloma' without having sputum and culture tests done. my series of x-rays every two months showed complete clearing of the granuloma in my lung, so as to say I have no traces or scar in my lung. SLEC staffs arent informing me of the next steps i need to undergo if i need a repeat sputum and culture tests after completion of meds because the tests they did were all normal. They also let me fill up DS 2054 form. what does it mean?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.