jonandmary

Canadian Citizenship for Children

25 posts in this topic

You can also register a birth abroad in Canada just like you can in the USA.

This is the part that applies to American children born to one Canadian parent:

If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, then send the following supporting documents:
  • A birth certificate which lists your parents (issued by responsible government authorities in the country where you were born)
  • Proof that one or both of your natural parents were Canadian citizens when you were born
  • Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it.
  • Other documents, such as a marriage certificate/divorce certificate and/or a legal name change certificate (if applicable)

So the kidlets just need one picture id. I highly doubt it would take a year to get the passport back.

But if you want copies:

Who can certify copies?

Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:Outside Canada:

• a judge
  • a magistrate
  • a notary public
  • an officer of a court of justice
  • a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And just some advice on Notaries, in the US, you can find a notary at many large bank branches during certain hours. In Canada, I seem to only be able to find one at a Law office... and those jerks never call me back -_-

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I concur. Our Senior rep at Bank of America has been notarized couple documents for my husband and I. They see us without an appointment.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

You can also register a birth abroad in Canada just like you can in the USA.

This is the part that applies to American children born to one Canadian parent:

So the kidlets just need one picture id. I highly doubt it would take a year to get the passport back.

But if you want copies:

Who can certify copies?

It takes up to a year for the process to be complete and Im pretty sure they send all your original documents back to you WITH the certificate.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have a local insurance agent, they should have at least 1 notary public on staff. A few of my coworkers at notaries.

Thanks for posting this, I need to do this for my 1 month old at some point. Looks like the first step will be getting her a US passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I wonder then what this dude was yacking about since your the second person thats told me this now. This was 7 years ago that I asked, did something change?

This is not entirely untrue. You can't generally can't be a dual citizen if secret to top secret security clearance is a requirement for your job. I know cause my husband is ex military and works in a military-related industry currently.

Timeline

So I wonder then what this dude was yacking about since your the second person thats told me this now. This was 7 years ago that I asked, did something change?

This is not entirely untrue. You can't generally can't be a dual citizen if Secret or Top Secret security clearance is a requirement for your job. I know cause my husband is ex military and works in a military-related industry currently. It has to do with conflicting interests.

That doesn't mean you can't join the army as a dual citizen, just that any positions that require Top Secret clearance are gonna be off limits. Not all cushy jobs in the military necessarily require a high level of security clearance, though. If you know where the nukes are you can't be a dual. :P

Edit: whoops, timeouts caused me to double post.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I know dual USA/CDN citizens that have TS clearance. Just many companies won't do it as it costs more to do say for a normal plain Jane USA citizen as it takes more investigating.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I know dual USA/CDN citizens that have TS clearance. Just many companies won't do it as it costs more to do say for a normal plain Jane USA citizen as it takes more investigating.

That makes sense because I also know someone with top secret clearance who's told me they can't be a dual without risking their job. So it comes down to how much the company is willing to spend, I guess.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I just mention it's more up to the Companies/organization policies if they allow it or not.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.