jonandmary

Canadian Citizenship for Children

25 posts in this topic

Just quick question if anyone has looked into applying for Canadian citizenship for their kids that were born in the US? I know our kids are entitled to it, but it sounds like to get the official papers processed they'd have to be living in Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp

This application is for persons applying for citizenship for a child under 18. The child must be a permanent resident of Canada and have at least one parent who is a Canadian citizen or will become a citizen at the same time.

The main reason why I am looking into this is because my wife has expressed interest that if she takes the final steps to become a US citizen, she would want the kids to be official Canadian citizens as well.

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

Engaged April 2007 Niagara Falls

K-1 Sent August 10th 2007 (CSC)

K-1 Received August 13th 2007

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

NVC Received February 1st 2008

NVC Sent to MTL February 5th 2008

Packet 3 Received February 19th 2008

Checklist Delivered to MTL February 29th 2008

Medical Exam March 6th 2008

Interview in MTL May 16th 2008 (Approved)

Received Visa May 21st 2008

Move from Canada September 1st 2008

POE @ Pearson Toronto - September 12th 2008

Wedding October 11th 2008

AOS Sent October 17th 2008 (REJECTED OCT 21st)

AOS RE-Sent October 27th 2008

NOA's Received November 6th 2008

RFE (No W2's/1099's) November 12th 2008

Biometrics Appointment November 24th 2008

Case sent to CSC December 3rd 2008

Bunch of Touches in January

Card Production Ordered February 27th 2008

Baby Adam born October 11th 2010 (2 year anniversary)

I-171 NOA Received December 17th 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can do it from outside of Canada, just need to figure out what Embassy you would be dealing with. For me I live in Arkansas and I have to go through the one in Texas. Its the same forms regardless that had me confused for a bit.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can do it from outside of Canada, just need to figure out what Embassy you would be dealing with. For me I live in Arkansas and I have to go through the one in Texas. Its the same forms regardless that had me confused for a bit.

I still havent sent the damn papers, I am having a hard time finding someone to "notorize" all the orginal documents as it seems they dont accept "notary publics" when applying out of canada.

I love in maryland, My local embassy is washington DC.

Just quick question if anyone has looked into applying for Canadian citizenship for their kids that were born in the US? I know our kids are entitled to it, but it sounds like to get the official papers processed they'd have to be living in Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp

The main reason why I am looking into this is because my wife has expressed interest that if she takes the final steps to become a US citizen, she would want the kids to be official Canadian citizens as well.

Heres the link to find the closest embassy to you, then you can email them and they will send you the forms and the address to sent them back to

http://w03.international.gc.ca/CRA-RCE/index.aspx

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

If the child is a minor, you can apply for a Citizenship Certificate. He/she is a Canadian citizen by default if he/she is first generation born abroad.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

I am currently looking into applying for my son. Nowhere did I read it needs to be filed for in Canada or notarized. You can ask a notary public to do it as listed in the instruction guide. However, I don't know what kind of photo ID I could provide for a 2 month old baby...

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

If the child is a minor, you can apply for a Citizenship Certificate. He/she is a Canadian citizen by default if he/she is first generation born abroad.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

I am currently looking into applying for my son. Nowhere did I read it needs to be filed for in Canada or notarized. You can ask a notary public to do it as listed in the instruction guide. However, I don't know what kind of photo ID I could provide for a 2 month old baby...

If you dont want to send orginal documents such as Baby's passport, or SSn card,Birth certificate, then you have to send certified copies.

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

If you dont want to send orginal documents such as Baby's passport, or SSn card,Birth certificate, then you have to send certified copies.

True. My son has a US passport, which can count as valid photo ID. I am puzzled as what to provide as a second photo ID. It's not like he has a driver's license...

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

True. My son has a US passport, which can count as valid photo ID. I am puzzled as what to provide as a second photo ID. It's not like he has a driver's license...

If I recall others were using SSN or birth certifcate

age.png

age.png

event.png

Timeline

I have not looked at my papers for awhile, so we are far from done here too. We finally found a place to take the pictures at, we been slacking. I guess I need to look into what else I need to send.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but my understanding is that you need to supply the baby's BC and SSN card to canada?

If so, it's easy to get replacements in the US, I would just send the originals.

Could someone explain this to me further?

Am I understanding correctly that if I give birth to children in the US (my husband is canadian) then they can have citizenship in Canada as well? Is it a process of filing paperwork with fees like our CR1?

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but my understanding is that you need to supply the baby's BC and SSN card to canada?

If so, it's easy to get replacements in the US, I would just send the originals.

Could someone explain this to me further?

Am I understanding correctly that if I give birth to children in the US (my husband is canadian) then they can have citizenship in Canada as well? Is it a process of filing paperwork with fees like our CR1?

You must send one photo document (Usually US passport) therefor unless you want to be without the childs passport for a year you will probably want to send a notarized copy.

If your husband is canadian then yes your children together will automatically have canadian citzenship, You will be apply for a Canadian certificate the same way a child born in Canada would apply for us certificate.

Edited by Canadiandggal

age.png

age.png

event.png

Timeline

You must send one photo document (Usually US passport) therefor unless you want to be without the childs passport for a year you will probably want to send a notarized copy.

If your husband is canadian then yes your children together will automatically have canadian citzenship, You will be apply for a Canadian certificate the same way a child born in Canada would apply for us certificate.

Are there costs associated with this?

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I looked into this as well after our first born came. I asked my American hubby what he thought and his only comments were, will they be able to join the army with dual citizenships? I emailed goarmy.com and while they can join they would be hindered from advancing into more restricted parts of the army. This made me think of other areas of government jobs, and just jobs in general and I decided that I would let my children decide this importnat decision when they are adults.

Its easier to get citizenship than to renounce it and then later in life change your minds and try and gain it back again.

Timeline

I know a few Cdns (not well) that have dual USA/American citizenship and have joined the USA military!! And they are not just sweeping floors,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I know a few Cdns (not well) that have dual USA/American citizenship and have joined the USA military!! And they are not just sweeping floors,lol

So I wonder then what this dude was yacking about since your the second person thats told me this now. This was 7 years ago that I asked, did something change?

Timeline

So I wonder then what this dude was yacking about since your the second person thats told me this now. This was 7 years ago that I asked, did something change?

You will find a lot of clueless people.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.